Where Do Flyers Rank in Metropolitan for '20?

Howie58

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Where can we see the raw data on this and compare to other players. I don't see this on the chart on the link. 

I mean it sounds impressive, but I don't know enough about some of these slush stats to know what is considered good. 

That i can't tell you...i think you will have to find Brad's site whois tracking the AHL data, which is all i have...the rest on faith...

• Like 1

This post is the same as last year the flyers will miss the playoffs again,there coaching is bad and dfence is poor ,offence is ok and goaltending is shabby at best.

sorry to tell the truth,it hurts sometimes.

35 minutes ago, musky said:

This post is the same as last year the flyers will miss the playoffs again,there coaching is bad and dfence is poor ,offence is ok and goaltending is shabby at best.

sorry to tell the truth,it hurts sometimes.

Ya know what....nevermind I'll let @ruxpin address your post...

1 hour ago, musky said:

there coaching is bad and dfence is poor ,offence is ok and goaltending is shabby at best.

I figure you're trolling and wanting to talk a little smack, and I"m down for that, but you must bring something better than this.

Alain Vigneault has a proven record of success.

Mike Yeo and Michele Therrien are also on the staff... how do you arrive at the conclusion the coaching is bad ? 

That's 3 dudes with fair to very good resume's, Yeo is a better lieutenant than captain, he'll be fine Therrien I worry about a little bit but he can coach some "ball" too, and he's not the final voice in the room.

the defense is upgraded by the simple fact that Andrew MacDonald isn't on the roster. Justin Braun is an upgrade on A-Mac, Radko Gudas was okay, but Matt Niskanen is better- even if his best days are behind him, and at 32/33 maybe not....

Ivan Provorov is due to bounce back, Travis Sanhiem took a nice step forward last year, he should continue to improve, Ghost has committed his summer to being a better player...there are 3 very good guys pushing from the AHL spot, including Phillipe Myers who was called upon to play for team Canada over the summer....I don't see how this defense is "poor".

Goaltending is a question simply because it's Carter Hart's first year, Brian Elliot isn't the starter (thank god) but he is a serviceable back-up and I think will be a good guy to pair with Hart from a "this is how to be a pro kid" standpoint. Carter Hart is a great prospect, who has improved at each level of play, why would that change now ? When he was healthy, he was quite good in his first go through the league, we'll see if folks get  "book" on him, but his play reminds me of Matt Murray and how the puck just always seems to hit him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ya know what....nevermind I'll let @ruxpin address your post...

I'm not even going to bother. Nothing there resembling reality and an Islanders fan's opinion on hockey is kind of like Stevie Wonder's opinion on a Claude Monet painting. 

• Haha 2

I have the Flyers at 2/3 in the division. While I hate the contract, Hayes is a good player and gives the Flyers at the very least two strong lines, if not 3 with Patrick getting favorable matchups. The offense should be fine, and could be downright scary if the third line puts it together (I think the 4th will be one of the strongest in the league).

Defense will improve if for no other reason than MacDonald is gone, and there is no room for Hagg in the top 6. Braun is whatever and Niskanen is an overall downgrade from Gudas, but the group as a whole will be better balanced.

Washington is the class of the division until they prove they aren't anymore. After that, the Penguins still have Crosby/Malkin, but they're getting older and their supporting cast, especially on defense, has been made worse over the years. Carolina could be quite good again if the goaltending holds up. Islanders are due to fall off, they rode a seriously impressive season of goaltending last year and got unsustainable production from several depth players, even with Trotz, they should not be expected to be anywhere near as good this year. New Jersey and the Rangers got better, but after the top end adds they're still weak in overall talent. Columbus hemorrhaged too much talent this offseason to believe they'll have a successful year.

Well I may be one of the few who thinks Niskanen is an upgrade over Gudas.

Sure Gudas was solid.

But the year before in the playoff series vs the Penguins he was by far the weakest link on the blueline a lot of issues with his play on the ice and defending down low near the crease just seemed to lose what made him so good and it continued at many points this past year.

So i guess we'll see what Niskanen can bring and go from there but I for one like the the swap.

One 6 game series compared to the majority of three years is not a great way to judge a player. Gudas has consistently been one of the top defensemen in the NHL with regards to minimizing the number of quality scoring chances an opponent gets. He rebounded last year after a disaster of a half season before when he was paired with Manning to again rank amongst the top defenders in the league. He struggles with breakout passing, which is absolutely important. But his defense is just fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I have the Flyers at 2/3 in the division. While I hate the contract, Hayes is a good player and gives the Flyers at the very least two strong lines, if not 3 with Patrick getting favorable matchups. The offense should be fine, and could be downright scary if the third line puts it together (I think the 4th will be one of the strongest in the league).

Defense will improve if for no other reason than MacDonald is gone, and there is no room for Hagg in the top 6. Braun is whatever and Niskanen is an overall downgrade from Gudas, but the group as a whole will be better balanced.

Washington is the class of the division until they prove they aren't anymore. After that, the Penguins still have Crosby/Malkin, but they're getting older and their supporting cast, especially on defense, has been made worse over the years. Carolina could be quite good again if the goaltending holds up. Islanders are due to fall off, they rode a seriously impressive season of goaltending last year and got unsustainable production from several depth players, even with Trotz, they should not be expected to be anywhere near as good this year. New Jersey and the Rangers got better, but after the top end adds they're still weak in overall talent. Columbus hemorrhaged too much talent this offseason to believe they'll have a successful year.

Yeah I'd say you're pretty spot on with all of that. I think the metro stands to be pretty weak overall honestly, which leaves a lot of wide open space for PHI. 

If just the coaching is improved, that alone should pay substantial dividends. We haven't had even competent coaching in years now. That's a good number of young guns who have never had the benefit of truly good NHL-level coaching. If the new staff can come in and get them working as a cohesive unit, good things should follow regardless of any moves Fletch made or not this off season. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

One 6 game series compared to the majority of three years is not a great way to judge a player. Gudas has consistently been one of the top defensemen in the NHL with regards to minimizing the number of quality scoring chances an opponent gets. He rebounded last year after a disaster of a half season before when he was paired with Manning to again rank amongst the top defenders in the league. He struggles with breakout passing, which is absolutely important. But his defense is just fine.

Well let's just agree to disagree then. I'm good with it.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, mojo1917 said:

the defense is upgraded by the simple fact that Andrew MacDonald isn't on the roster. Justin Braun is an upgrade on A-Mac, Radko Gudas was okay, but Matt Niskanen is better- even if his best days are behind him, and at 32/33 maybe not....

Ivan Provorov is due to bounce back, Travis Sanhiem took a nice step forward last year, he should continue to improve, Ghost has committed his summer to being a better player...there are 3 very good guys pushing from the AHL spot, including Phillipe Myers who was called upon to play for team Canada over the summer....I don't see how this defense is "poor".

I agree.

Here a good read if you have the time.

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-matt-niskanen-defenseman-ivan-provorov-training-camp-nhl-20190830.html?outputType=amp

I love the start of the season everyone has the same record and we have a chance to wipe the slate clean and if we chose to be optimistic about what will take place.

The potential is there all they have to do is put it together on the ice.

With the collection of talent in the AHL only a callup away along with the current Flyer roster, this is the deepest top to bottom I have personally ever witnessed as a Flyer fan.

Now just go do it.

I am stoked.

Let's go Flyers!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know.  I'm really not into this cheesy crap.

But still kind of liked it despite myself.

Sure i just posted it for fun....that is all it should be viewed as at this point....especially with so much to prove...

• Like 1