NHL.com's "Top 20 Centers"

radoran

Can't really argue about any of that, I don't like Malkenstien, doesn't mean he isn't a top 10 center, he is.  He has amazeballs skills, comes with a .06$ brain some nights but he always feels dangerous when he's on the ice. 

I know Meltzer was all jacked-up that Couturier wasn't included, I don't know which player I would bump from that list to include him.

A majority of those guys are these crazy dynamic players, who skate like the wind and blabbity-blah, the exception is Bergeron, whom I think is losing a step and is a little overrated, however he was the pivot for the most productive line in hockey, so again..Sorry Sean.

I've never been a big Backstrom fan, he's good- he's not ZOMG ! good. He'd be the guy I'd put at # 20 or swap Couturier for if the list had to have a Flyer.  But hey, the team wasn't that good last  year, so I don't see where the omission of our #1 C from this list is any kind of indictment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah I could see Coots bumping Backstrom too...I never even realized he has only had one 30 goal season and it was 10 years ago.

I would be more willing to bump Backstrom than Kusnetsov...when 92 gets the legs going he's close to  unstoppable.

Like Malkin, he always feels dangerous with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. He's got some dynamism to his game that maybe 10 to 20 other players in the league possess.  So I have no problem with  him being on the list. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah I could see Coots bumping Backstrom too...I never even realized he has only had one 30 goal season and it was 10 years ago.

55 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I would be more willing to bump Backstrom than Kusnetsov...

I think Backstrom is a good target to get bumped. He's riding somewhat on reputation in this poll and I do think Couturier has probably eclipsed him in current value.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, radoran said:

Not a bad list at all.
Cases can be made for every single player on there and nothing jumps out at me as being ridiculous.

That said, if I were to remove one player and add another, it would have to be putting in Jonathan Toews and removing Elias Pettersson.
How the heck you leave off an in-his-prime SC winning top line center, who incidentally put up career highs in G, A, and overall points, while STILL maintaining ridiculously good FO win % numbers, NOT turning the puck over and is still a consummate leader on the ice is beyond me.

Sure, Toews +/- had suffered (well below his career averages), but the Chicago defense and goaltending overall has not been top tier the last two seasons or so.
Toews plays a fantastic two way game and has for years, and I expect he will continue to do so for a few more yet.
He should be on there.

Pettersson?
Great, great rookie season, but at this stage, that's all it is...one season.
Granted, he has the ceiling and skillset to be a regular on a list like this, but others on here, including the omitted Toews, have been doing it for YEARS and look like they could keep getting it done for the foreseeable.
Nothing against young Pettersson, but one season shouldn't land him on list like this......two or three years from now, he might own the top spot here though...

Also, in a nod to Flyers fans, yes, I would say Sean Couturier can have a case for being on here.
Last season, his numbers matched very close to Toews' and seems to now play the same kind of game, top to bottom.
And since he has done it for the last two years, on an iffy defensive squad like Philadelphia, it can't be called a fluke.

If he does it yet again this coming season, he officially should be in the top 20 no questions asked, but yea, I could see him being nudged into this list even now. 

• Like 1