How to get rid of Bryz for good.

Guest Leach27

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the highest paid goalie in the league is currently 42nd in sv%. and he's a flyer for 8 more years. overreacting?

I know I'm behind on this thread right now, so there's no telling how much bryz is making in this argument by now, but bryz is not the highest paid goalie by any measure. I am not here to stick up for him or the contract. ATM, it seems to be a failure regardless of how it's looked at.

BUT, how has it been determined that he's the highest paid? Dipietro has a 15yr $4.5m cap hit. Pretty sure that's over $51m. Luongo 12yr $5.33m. 6 goalies have a higher cap hits this year.

So, by cap year... By total contract... He is not the highest paid. It has no bearing on anything at all that he's been weighted $10m the first year(except haters gonna hate). Unless you can prove his Ferrari shopping has affected his play. ;)

I'll stick to what cannot be argued at this point... He's pretty much sucked and so does his contract. No matter what he's being paid... He's overpaid. Makes me sick that Boucher had better numbers. Gah...

@Bakanekimiwa

i was stressing over the fact that his biweekly paycheck is bigger by far than any other goaltender at the moment. starting next season, it'll be the second biggest.

I stress over early goals, bad goals, lateral movement, glove hand and stick handling regardless of how much money the goalie is making...

I must say it's not often that I find what Seravalli writes in articles interesting but I though this was.

I'm not saying it's a 'reason' for Bryz horrible numbers, lack of ability to stop pucks shot 5' from the boards or his inability to keep his legs closed but......

With his two wins last week, Bobrovsky improved to 10-3-1. Bryzgalov fell to 16-10-3 on Saturday.

One trend rarely mentioned is that the bulk of Bobrovsky's 14 starts have come against opponents with poor records:

Oct. 18 at Ottawa: 1-4-0 (15th place)

Oct 24 vs. Toronto: 5-1-0 (2nd)

Oct. 27 vs. Winnipeg: 2-5-1 (15th)

Nov. 3 vs. New Jersey: 4-5-1 (12th)

Nov. 14 at Carolina: 6-8-3 (13th)

Nov. 19 at Winnipeg: 7-9-3 (13th)

Nov. 25 vs. Montreal: 10-9-3 (10th)

Nov. 26 at N.Y. Rangers: 11-5-3 (6th)

Dec. 15 at Montreal: 13-11-7 (9th)

Dec. 21 at Dallas: 19-12-1 (3rd West)

Dec. 29 at Pittsburgh: 21-11-4 (5th)

Jan. 2 vs. N.Y. Rangers: 23-9-4 (1st)

Jan. 10 at Carolina: 14-22-7 (14th)

Jan. 12 at N.Y. Islanders: 15-19-6 (14th)

Average standing at time of start: 9.42

Bryzgalov, on the other hand, has faced a tougher road, especially lately. In five of his last six starts, Bryzgalov has faced Chicago (top offense in NHL, first place overall), the Rangers (first in East), and Ottawa (fifth in East) in back-to-back games.

Bryzgalov is 16-10-3 with a 3.07 GAA, .891

Bobrovsky is 10-3-1, 2.42 GAA, .921.

@Digityman

So the guy who was brought in to be our #1 goalie ( and is overcompensated even if he was playing to that level ) is playing against the best teams? That's crazy talk. I mean who does that? Clearly we should be playing the $10 million man against the bottom feeders so he can improve his stats, cause THAT is the real reason we brought him in, for HIS stats.

It's common knowledge we're the only NHL team who plays their backup against the worst teams right? I think it's hilarious that there's much more knowledgeable people on this board than there is being paid to write about the Flyers. And as far as I can see, it's always been that way.

hey Rad - good points about Bryz's PO numbers - he's won a few games, and he had a hand in Anaheim's SC win. But the thing is he just doesn't look good out there - in the games I saw anyway. To be fair I'm remembering last year's PO sweep most of all, where the Wings ran circles around the Coyotes for 4 nights. But Bryz was constantly burned by his own miscues in puck-handling and his reaction time side-to-side looked - slow (to be nice about it). Obviously a more responsible D helps the goalie but....he had a GAA of over 4 (!) and a Save % under .880 (!). Familiar numbers...

....and unfortunately Aziz is (again) making sense - and it's a little scary thinking our style exacerbates Bryzgalov's weaknesses, and that there's not much we can do about it (other than play Bob!).

Mez has picked up his game the past month, Coburn is playing as good as he's ever played...and it's still not enough if we don't either 1) back off the transition game a bit, slow things down and have our fwds play a "D-first" game (which probably hurts us more than it helps us) or 2) Bryzgalov finds a way to get a lot better in a hurry. History says he'll play better and the "1 or 2 softies every night" will cease and desist. But the POs - scary to think what he'll look then, even if he does "find his game"...

Well it's not really a question of "changing for 1 guy" so to speak - it's about Homer and Ed being at least as smart as Aziz when evaluating their goalies and their FA pick-ups.

I knew Bryzgalov was exactly the wrong type of goalie for us but I didn't really know why till I read Aziz's comments about his style, his weaknesses and how the 'Yotes were setup defensively to minimize them, just as the Ducks were with Giguere in Anaheim. I just knew he looked shaky and unfocused every time I saw him; that he wasn't fast side-to-side and that he's the type who thinks the world of himself - even before the comments by Morris (and others I guess) out of Phoenix. I'm not a fan of his (obviously) so I can't say I've seen him hundreds of times or anything - but probably 20-30 games all told where he started. That was enough to convince me he's probably more hype than talent.

I know, it's just speculation, but what about

Bryz and 2nd round pick to Tampa for Ryan Malone, Bruno Gervais and Dwyane Roloson.

Tampa does this trade to solidify the goalie position, an upgrade on Roloson for 2 million more. Additionally, they clear off Malone, who is dramatically overpaid.

The Flyers, on the other hand, open up the goalie spot for good for Bob while still keeping a decent backup. Additionally, they get much needed size in Malone, depth at defense and clear off Bryzgalov's salary.

Malone may also make JVR slightly more expendable a la a Suter/Weber/Jack Johnson trade.

Again, all speculation.

I say we put Bryzgiveupgoalov on a Russian rocket on an all expenses trip, complete with girls on pogo sticks, 72 foot plasmas etc to the International Space Station.

Based on what we know about Russian technology, the chances he arrives at the Station are average at best. If he doesn't arrive it's force majeur and his salary won't count toward the cap hit.