Dylan Larkin: New Hockeytown Captain?

Larkin.jpg.73865ee87d4943927e1032e2aef43455.jpg

From Yahoo sports:
https://sports.yahoo.com/dylan-larkin-feels-ready-for-red-wings-captaincy-170925016.html

What say you, Wings fans?
Is 23 yr old Larkin ready to take the full on captaincy?

I am a firm believer that the "leader" of the locker room and on the ice is always determined by the players themselves, no matter who is appointed the actual letters.
Let's face it.....players know who they should be following and leaders are natural, they come to the surface no matter what and don't need a letter on their sweaters for them to be who they are.

But there is something special about wearing the C for the Red Wings. Yes, you guys know it all comes from the winning history of the Red Wings behind one very famous captain who just happens to be the GM of the team now.

Larkin was given an "A" last season, along with two other guys, but I believe Yzerman would like the team, moving forward, and as he helps mold the team into a winner once again, to have a stalwart captain figure on and off the ice....and young Mr. Larkin feels he might be ready to do just that.
Great thing is, he doesn't come off as arrogant about it. Seems to be taking everything in stride and highlights what he can help do for the team more on the ice than being a guy "in charge of the locker room".

Captains are chosen for all different kinds of reasons....some legit, some, well, not so much.
Skill. Tenure. Attitude. Player following....sometimes sadly, for marketing purposes.

I don't think a man like Steve Yzerman is going to mess around with gimmicks. He wants a real deal leader and I am sure he has his fingers on the pulse of the locker room and will talk to coaches and players and make the next man wearing the "C" more than just a gimmick or a placeholder.

Is Dylan Larkin and his ever improving skillset the guy?

My opinion: It is time.

It is almost universally accepted that Larkin will eventually wear the C. The question in the past has been readiness. His youth may have a small bit to do with things, but more important, I think, was trying to avoid giving him too much too soon. And I think the Wings leadership did the right thing in easing him into team leadership while lowering the chances of his play suffering from having too much responsibility. Far better to give him the A for home games and let his play and leadership develop well than try to give him too much responsibility and have that also negatively affect his play/development.

He is, without a doubt, the Wings’ best all-around player. Last year just further solidified that position. And while being the best player doesn’t always make you the best captain, I think Larkin’s strengths and leadership qualities make him an ideal captain.

And it’s not like he’s in his 3rd year or anything. He’s a veteran that is coming into his prime. And he’s got younger players that he can help connect with as a veteran to be able to teach them how to be pros. What a champion work ethic looks like. I don’t see him as much a talking captain, but rather as a player that leads by example kind of captain, which is far better.

I also think that HE thinks he is ready to take responsibility for this teams play and eventual ascent from the near-bottom to competitive.

I guess the better questions are: Why NOT him? And why NOT now?

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

I guess the better questions are: Why NOT him? And why NOT now?

Looking over at the roster, and considering things like skill level, tenure, and long term viability, I'd have to agree that Larkin seems the obvious choice.

Of course, guys like Abdelkader may have some say in the locker room and someone else's opinions like Mike Green, Danny DeKeyser, and even Valteri Filppula may hold some weight, but none of those guys check all the boxes like Larkin seems to.

So yea, if Larkin feels he is ready for "The Mantle", I am sure Steve Yzerman would love to put that to rest and get on with building a contender.

• Like 2

The way that I see it we had the options of:

A veteran like Abdelkader or Green

OR 

Larkin

IMHO this is a no brainer, the teams point leader who plays in all situations with a fire in his belly, leads by example on the ice, great choice to lead the team. Surprised it took this long.

• Like 1