Hoffman

brelic

Our favourite rumour monger has this to say... 

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Your-RFA-Update-Gardiner-LaineHoffman-to-EdmontonPhilly-Buzz1/1/100935

Sources are telling me the Panthers have been talking to Edmonton and Philly about forward Mike Hoffman....Edmonton is very interested and it sounds like a deal was getting close, then Philly jumped in and got involved...it sounds like if something is going to get done, then it gets done this week...

Hoffman is signed through this year for $5.187M then is a UFA. 

29 years old, 70 points last year (career high), 36 goals (career high). 

Plays both wings. 

That would really give the offense a boost.

Don't think the cost would be that high since he's only signed for a year. 

Imagine this... 

G/Coots/Hoffman (because of his goal production)

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Konecny

Raffl/Laughton/Pitlick

NAK

That's pretty nice on paper. 

Edited by brelic

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Your-RFA-Update-Gardiner-LaineHoffman-to-EdmontonPhilly-Buzz1/1/100935

Sources are telling me the Panthers have been talking to Edmonton and Philly about forward Mike Hoffman....Edmonton is very interested and it sounds like a deal was getting close, then Philly jumped in and got involved...it sounds like if something is going to get done, then it gets done this week...

Plays both wings. 

Hmm. Who would we be trading to get him though? We can't afford Hoffman and TK and Provo. Ghost and someone else?

Hoffman for Ghost would seem pretty even to me, so it would depend on what else we need to throw in.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

I am all for getting Hoffman, but there's no way in hell I'm giving Provorov to Florida.

Yeah, I'm honestly not opposed to getting Hoffman really. I sort of wonder where he'd play in the line up though. I suppose he would probably bump TK down to the third line with Patrick, which would be a decent way to try and field three lines.

I'm with you of course on Provo. That's just ridiculous. Ghost is the only trade that would make sense imo. Whether it's worth giving up Ghost to give us a third scoring line is a question worth asking though. I don't think Hoffman is such a big upgrade over TK.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Why not? Ghost is the most expendable of the three.

What else is coming to Philly...it has to be more...no way i am trading Ghost on a sweet deal straight up for one year of Hoffman (who will be 30 come November)...no way.

So i would need more back or i roll with 8 D men to start the season injuries always crop up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, brelic said:

Plays both wings. 

Imagine this... 

G/Coots/Hoffman (because of his goal production)

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Konecny

Raffl/Laughton/Pitlick

NAK

That's pretty nice on paper. 

You cannot do Hoffman and sign Provorov and Konecny. Hagg doesn't get it done financially and Ghost doesn't either.  I'm not sure who goes out, but I don't think we'd like it. 

Whatever went on this past year aside, I've always been a Hoffman fan.  But I have several problems beside the Provorov/Konecny think.  First, we're presumably slotting him in on the right side. He does play both sides, but he's frankly better on the left. 

But if he's playing the right, we're effectively giving up on NAK to play a guy on his lesser side.  And probably dropping TK down to do it.  Unless it's TK going out.  Hoffman is a set number and gives a hard amount to work with for Provorov. And only one year, so it opens room for signing RFAs next year. 

If this is done, it's TK going out, and we're not going to like it. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 1:00 PM, elmatus said:

Hoffman for Ghost would seem pretty even to me, so it would depend on what else we need to throw in.

Not interested in this so much.  Hoffman is only signed through this year and is then likely to get the kind of raise we can't afford.

If I'm Fletcher, I'm trying to send JVR & Hagg or a pick.    Moreover, we're going to need Ghost until the end of his contract 

And if I did that it would be 50% for the cap relief I'd get at the end of the year.  

But this team hasn't shown us that they're in the market for a high stakes rental like Hoffman, so mostly, I'd just leave this alone if it came my way.  

• Like 1