News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

TropicalFruitGirl26

Adam Erne to Wings... 4th rounder in 2020 to Lightning

Posted (edited)

439019603_ERNECOMPLETE.jpg.e51f2c984c5f628731bfb170b916289c.jpg

A couple links, one from the Bolts side of things, other from the Wings:

Wings:

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Lightning:

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Looks like Steve Yzerman didn't completely get all his "stuff" when he moved out of the TB GM's office..... well, he just got a player he drafted in the 2nd round back in 2013...Adam Erne.

Looks like a minor deal on the surface, and in the grand scheme of things (i.e. projection for him as an NHL'er) it may be just that...minor.
However, from the Bolts' POV, this frees up a valuable roster spot to have a serious look at some of the forwards in Syracuse to see who comes out on top to break camp with the Lightning instead of the Syracuse Crunch this coming season.....and boy do the Lightning have a number of guys who are itching to get to the big club.

From the Wings POV, they will be getting an admittedly bottom six NHL'er, but one who is pretty rugged, and if paired with decently skilled linemates (as he was from time to time in TB....he even played a bit on the TOP line with Stamkos), he can actually chip in points too.
He isn't your traditional tough guy fighter type, but he will drop the gloves and is more in line with the modern hybrid of checking/enforcer that we see in the NHL today.
At 6'1 and 210 pounds, there is nothing fancy about his game...he sees bodies, he hits bodies, he sees an open teammate, he passes to open teammate...if he is near the net he looks for rebounds and tries to smash one in.

I think the Bolts may miss some of his grit though....and I can see Erne being a thorn in the side of Bolts' scorers and defenseman as he no doubt will enjoy putting the checks on his former teammates.

No...Erne by himself won't change the fortunes of the Wings' offense, but, he is sort of like a Justin Abdelkader in the sense that, he is the type of teammate who will go to the trenches with you and is classic blue collar all the way with a touch of offense under the right circumstances.

For the price of a 4th rounder, I think the Wings did well here.
His cap hit last season was around 800K, but even with a raise (he is still currently an RFA), he shouldn't put too much of big dent in the Wings' cap space...and I suspect they get a lot of player for the money, whatever that amount is, they will be paying out.

Good luck to Erne (but not against the Lightning ;) )....a very likeable, unselfish, good soldier.
Steve Yzerman saw what he had in him when he was Bolts' GM and sure enough, saw the opportunity to add him to a still developing Wings' team and did just that.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE:

Not too long after I posted the above, we now have Adam Erne officially signed by the Red Wings after being acquired as an RFA.
Looks like a one year "show me" contract, or a possible short bridge till Yzerman and the coaching staff can see where he really fits in at the NHL level.
He is just 24 and even after this one year deal will still be an RFA

1839098406_ERNECONTRACT.thumb.jpg.569994f004968e44c8f4d9a50cd11b40.jpg

Been reading up on him have seen him compared to maroon or Feeling which for his age a 4th rounder seems very fair.  I know Tampa has kids pushing for jobs,  kind of surprised that a team that many feel is too soft would trade him away.... 

I subscribe to the Athletic, and I haven’t been disappointed. I usually enjoy it because of the analysis.

But today, I’m reading an article on Svechnikov, and I find out the Wings acquired Adam Erne from the TBL for a fourth rounder in 2020. Didn’t see that reported anywhere. Am I obtuse and just missed it?

Anyway, I like the deal. Erne didn’t score too many points, but the kid only got just over 10 minutes of ice time on a talent-laden Bolts team. Tough to nab ice time on a team like that. Tough to get a true read of potential.

We saw this a season or two ago with AA. He was scoring, but not getting much ice time. Last season he finally got the time and made the most of it. I see this as a similar opportunity for Erne.

My only thing with it is that it COULD block out an opportunity for a prospect—like Svechnikov—to be given a chance to get some games in at the NHL level and for the Wings to be able to see what they really have in some of these young players. Do they have what it takes to be successful players at the NHL level?

This notwithstanding, I like the deal for the potential upside of this kid. And I think it is even MORE interesting because he’s coming from the team that Stevie GM’d, suggesting that perhaps he sees something in this kid.

Intriguing development that barely made a ripple.

• Like 1

@SpikeDDS

You aren't obtuse....just missed it. It happens.
There is an Erne thread started up under Around the NHL, Rumors, Trades, Signings.

I'll merge and put in in this forum for ya, since the subject is more of interest to Wings fans....and myself as I rather liked Erne's playstyle.

I know lineups will likely change from now till Opening Night, and you Wings fans would know better who will likely be with be whom, but here is, according to dailyfaceoff, how they have the Wings' lines set up on the forward ranks.

964124215_wingslineup.jpg.1c6f1597ac4c0b1523bba4ba25e01653.jpg

Adam Erne slotted in the 3rd line seems about right to me though.
Erne played 3rd and 4th line minutes in TB, and he had the occasional top six wing position as Jon Cooper tried to find ways to either expand Erne's offensive repertoire, or more likely, had him there to try an open up space for his scoring linemates.

But his skillset thus far suggests he fits best as a checking, sometimes scoring contributing, bottom six forward.
Maybe with more experience and the Wings not being as deep as TB, he will see more time doing other things more often.

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@yave1964

Not a bad way to do it. I wonder, though, about having AA and Zadina both on the second line. For me, I always try to have a sniper/scorer, a defensively-responsible center, and either a net front guy or a scrapper who can retrieve pucks. To me, I’d almost like to see Zadina and Hirose on a line and let Hirose feed Zadina. Yes, that would mean Erne on the second with AA, which might be a bit of a push. But I think this may balance the scoring between lines a bit better, with 3 lines that can score plus a grinder. You could also pair Hirose with AA on line two, and count on Filppula to feed Zadina. 

• Like 1