Wild names Bill Guerin as General Manager

rottenrefs

Interesting article!    Guerin is in an unusually powerful position for a first time NHL GM.     Leipold must be smart enough to realize that he can't possibly risk angering or thwarting  virtually any Guerin decision short of a long term player buyout.  A second GM fiasco within a short time frame would likely ruin the brand (arguably already teetering a bit).       

• Like 1

My favorite quote from Russo's article was:

"This is why Guerin has said one of his first missions will be to talk in that locker room and do his best to convey to the players that it’s critical they all pull on the same rope, that they put the team in front of himself. "

I can't wait to see how that plays out...:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I like this hire better than the other names that were floating around out there.. hopefully he can convey that message and if certain players don't listen they're shipped out or benched no matter what their price tag is. The locker room has needed someone to come in and clear out the cancerous players for a long while now and it needs to happen no matter if it sets the team back a few years or not. I'd rather be patient and see a proper rebuild that takes a handful of years than sit through more of this mediocre crap with tweaks and wishful thinking. 

This team needs to stop the "win now" mentality that isn't working and start building for the future a few years down the road with the hopes Kaprizov will come over and be one of those young pieces to build around. I have no problem watching a basement dwelling team for a couple years if there is a clear path they are taking to clear the books and improve in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Thanks for this.
Interesting read.
I thought the author was a bit overblown on some things (Guerin facing an uphill battle on player contracts? Nah, not so much...more like the uphill battle is convincing Leipold that some players may need to go...or for the owner to understand not to meddle in GM or coaching business), but other points he made regarding minutes reallocation and getting younger (still possible....but again, new GM will have to convince Leipold that moving out certain players is good for the team in the long run), make all the sense in the world.

If Bruce Boudreau still really has his heart in coaching, and Guerin believes in him, then he should absolutely try to get the coach what he wants so he can ice a competitive team...even if building on the fly is being done in the short term.

And the author points out the aging vets, and at the point those vets no longer are NHL viable, THEN hopefully, Guerin gets the freedom to do what a GM is supposed to do: go full rebuild.

Pittsburgh has been famous for retooling on the fly so if Guerin has learned anything over there working under such business practices, then things don't necessarily have to hit rock bottom for this team to see improvement.
But the "uphill battle" is, again, convincing the owner.
I really am hoping Guerin's personality combined with his former player union rep persona, mixed in with his asst GM/GM experience can talk Leipold "down from the ledge"...

Leipold is an absolute turd of an owner, has no plan, and doesn't give a shiite about the fans as long as they continue to fill the seats. Joked Leipold "Is it a rebuild? Is it a tweak? Is it a twerk? I don’t know."

Well you should know Leopold you fuucking clown shoes. 

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Another rookie GM but can't be worse than Big Egoton.

I always feel it's better to have a former player as GM or a HC with years of playing experience, as a top pro.

Agree with you. Kind of some optimism combined with some pessimism so far. Personal winning mentality of a professional successful player combined with a no real GM experience. Sincerely, I do not want to see out of him something extremely unusual/unpredictable like we have seen out of Paul Fenton. Of course, time will tell us based on what we will see through his first steps. Last year the first Fenton's step was drafting a not 1st round level player. Anyway, let's give to Bill Guerin a chance as we did for Fenton. Maybe that choice will be more effective than the previous one? So far no one knows. Too fresh, too greeny GM for our kind of oldish team.

Maybe it is time to write something like that -  Fan of the Wild? Think better Bill than Paul did .🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, 4Check said:

Interesting article!    Guerin is in an unusually powerful position for a first time NHL GM.     Leipold must be smart enough to realize that he can't possibly risk angering or thwarting  virtually any Guerin decision short of a long term player buyout.  A second GM fiasco within a short time frame would likely ruin the brand (arguably already teetering a bit).       

I agree...at the very least shaken.

Paul Fenton was a former NHL'er though.  He wasn't a star player, but I don't think that matters as much these days.  Can you work with people, manage contracts and the salary cap, and can you instill a culture of accountability, respect and responsiveness from the front office on down?  Fenton couldn't and that's why he got the axe.  

Thanks for the link! From what I've heard, seen and read, I'm confident Guerin is the right kind of person for the job. In time we'll see if he's skilled enough, and if he's given the power needed to succeed. For the first time in a couple of years I'm quite hopeful about the Wild's future 👍

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Paul Fenton was a former NHL'er though.  He wasn't a star player, but I don't think that matters as much these days.  Can you work with people, manage contracts and the salary cap, and can you instill a culture of accountability, respect and responsiveness from the front office on down?  Fenton couldn't and that's why he got the axe.  

I was thinking more along the lines Guerin has been a part of well functioning groups, winning teams. He knows the state of mind in those situations and as a star player he was in a position where the expectations were high and which he had to meet.

Fenton was a marginal player in crappy teams and then a staff member for 20 years in two expansion teams... if you want to win something I'd suppose it would be best to acquire someone who's won something before and not some sideshow act. I think being part of the elite in your trade gives you more perspective.

Now, does the current Wild squad have a lot of players who've been part of a winning team in a key position? Apart from Koivu, captain of the WC team 8 years ago...  yay.

I'm sure Guerin has a lot to learn as a GM but instilling some winning culture mentality from top down makes sense to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I’m sure Guerin has a lot to learn as a GM but instilling some winning culture mentality from top down makes sense to me.

And that’s the thing. No one on the Wild has ever won anything (except the Masterton).  I think it will be very interesting to see who wins in this Tug of War: the GM or the C and the A’s...