Wild names Bill Guerin as General Manager

rottenrefs

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(cough)  We had Jennings Trophy winners once @IllaZilla, but yea...nothing else to write home about unless you want to toss in Jacques Lemaire's Jack Adams' Award too.  Either way, I don't think we'll see miracles from Guerin, not this season at least.  

I'm not expecting miracles from Guerin. Not sure he can do much with all the NMC's handed out to 30+ year old players. But we'll see. Maybe Zucker and Staal can rebound. Maybe they'll finally let "Captain America II" take over the 2C. Maybe Donato will return to scoring instead of passing. Maybe Fiala will stop playing hot potato with the puck and become that "gamebreaker". Maybe Nico Sturm will be a pleasant surprise. I know, lots of maybes, but at some point this team has got to let the young guys start leading.

But the Wild is starting to remind me of the 1980's California Angels. A team where older name players went to get their last big paycheck...

Guerin has a huge challenge to deal with. An environment with both physical and psychic wellbeing is needed to get back that blue-collar, underdog fighting spirit, but at the same time the old men retirement home needs to be put in order, and very likely nothing of significance can be done if the bad apples can't be thrown away.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, IllaZilla said:

And that’s the thing. No one on the Wild has ever won anything (except the Masterton).  I think it will be very interesting to see who wins in this Tug of War: the GM or the C and the A’s...

But wait - there's a #1 retired in the rafters - isn't that "winning"?? 🤣🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anything new from Guerin? Still patient?

To be fair, the team has been in it to win it for many games now although they've lost most of them. They've not been demolished in any way. But even for a casual fan very frustrating endings not to mention knowledgeable homers.

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Anything new from Guerin? Still patient?

To be fair, the team has been in it to win it for many games now although they've lost most of them. They've not been demolished in any way. But even for a casual fan very frustrating endings not to mention knowledgeable homers.

Everything I've read is that Guerin is still in evaluation mode. Which he should be. I wouldn't expect him to make any real moves until after the first of the year, unless some knock-your-socks-off offer comes across his desk, like "I'll trade you our first round draft pick in 2020, 2021, and 2022, for Victor Rask" or some such nonsense.

I believe he recently got back from Russia. He had a meeting with Kaprizov and his agent. Haven't heard how that went.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Everything I've read is that Guerin is still in evaluation mode. Which he should be. I wouldn't expect him to make any real moves until after the first of the year, unless some knock-your-socks-off offer comes across his desk, like "I'll trade you our first round draft pick in 2020, 2021, and 2022, for Victor Rask" or some such nonsense.

I believe he recently got back from Russia. He had a meeting with Kaprizov and his agent. Haven't heard how that went.

Sure, his hands are tied with the NMCs. But, he's seen all the games (or does he travel to see all the road games?) and knows by now this roster won't lift anything heavier than a few Pina Coladas in June. I cannot see he doesn't do anything if the Wild stay at the bottom 'till the season ends. Well, we'll see.

1 minute ago, Hockey-78 said:

Sure, his hands are tied with the NMCs. But, he's seen all the games (or does he travel to see all the road games?) and knows by now this roster won't lift anything heavier than a few Pina Coladas in June. I cannot see he doesn't do anything if the Wild stay at the bottom 'till the season ends. Well, we'll see.

I mean, this is kind of what a lot of us were wanting, the team to flame out. They're not tanking (well, not on purpose), but they are finding new ways to lose games that they should win. They just don't have the talent.

If Staal keeps things up, he might be moved at the trade deadline. Maybe some playoff team will want a grizzled veteran center that can still score once in a while. But other than that, this team has zero assets. They have a modest amount of draft picks and the players in Iowa are nice, but none of them are players this team can build around.

57 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I mean, this is kind of what a lot of us were wanting, the team to flame out. They're not tanking (well, not on purpose), but they are finding new ways to lose games that they should win. They just don't have the talent.

If Staal keeps things up, he might be moved at the trade deadline. Maybe some playoff team will want a grizzled veteran center that can still score once in a while. But other than that, this team has zero assets. They have a modest amount of draft picks and the players in Iowa are nice, but none of them are players this team can build around.

This is what I'm anticipating. One or two subtle moves to smoothen the way towards rebuild. After all, you can't trade all the guys you want within a year or so. It's a process. But the sooner you start, the faster you move on.

Just now, Hockey-78 said:

This is what I'm anticipating. One or two subtle moves to smoothen the way towards rebuild. After all, you can't trade all the guys you want within a year or so. It's a process. But the sooner you start, the faster you move on.

That's why I think he's waiting. Not going to get much for Staal right now. But if he keeps producing, Guerin might get a top draft pick for him. I mean, last season it was rumored the Bruins were offering their #1 pick and a prospect for him...

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

That's why I think he's waiting. Not going to get much for Staal right now. But if he keeps producing, Guerin might get a top draft pick for him. I mean, last season it was rumored the Bruins were offering their #1 pick and a prospect for him...

They did?! #*#* Fenton was dumb.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Weren't you suppose to replace him with some other goalie?

This was a rollercoaster.  This late in a season, the premiere goalies are long gone.  I ended up picking Quick up as he was getting hot.  Interestingly enough, I since received two offers for him. 😁 And I also have Varlamov, who splits time with Greiss.  While his stats are not world-shattering, they are respectable.  And I am assuming when Dubnyk does come back, he regains his starting position since Stallock didn't exactly set the world on fire.  And you know what... all things considered, I could've done worse than this trio.  

Edited by Mad Dog

On 11/29/2019 at 12:29 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

A severe health scare with his wife...there is little reason for him to rush back.  

So I've heard.  Shish.... In situations like this, of course family comes first.  I hope his wife recovers from whatever illness she has.