Philadelphia Flyers 2019-20 camp/pre season

OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, fan4ever said:

Good question.  It doesn't seem the dates line up to be responding to the tweet above it? 

Someone trying to stir up controversy or I don't understand twitter 😉

It's just a fake response someone trying to be funny is all.

Nothing more it was posted further down on the tweet from someone else.

No controversy here...

• Haha 1

So the Patrick diagnosis throws a wrench in the lineup plans. I was reading up on it and it could go either way. Backstrom has managed to have a career, Stephen Johns has been out over a year (Dallas defenseman) because of it, and of course everyone is different and there's a wide-range to the spectrum.

It's a big unknown at this point, and it's more important for Patrick to be healthy as a non-hockey player above all else. 

In terms of our roster, I'm going to assume that we won't see Patrick for a while, perhaps the season.

If that's the case, are we happy with Laughton at 3C and Bunnaman at 4C until Frost is ready? I guess we'll have to be unless there is a trade to be made. I'd like to see Frost up here sooner rather than later (maybe next month sometime after a dozen or so AHL games).

Lindblom/Frost/Farabee could be very interesting.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

If that's the case, are we happy with Laughton at 3C

No not to be hard on Laughton but that is were offense seems to go and die....on the end of his stick....sadly he is best on the 4th.

No more....he is fast and gritty...no not that gritty...but that is it...i eventually want Frost to get some games and some confidence with the Phantoms maybe a week or two and get a crack at the 3rd line gig again.

Not sure if Bunnaman is a 3rd liner either....only so much room to go around for role players. I want the 3rd line to bring some scoring punch too.

And i hope Frost can be that guy. If not well then i dunno...

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No not to be hard on Laughton but that is were offense seems to go and die....on the end of his stick....sadly he is best on the 4th.

No more....he is fast and gritty...no not that gritty...but that is it...i eventually want Frost to get some games and some confidence with the Phantoms maybe a week or two and get a crack at the 3rd line gig again.

Not sure if Bunnaman is a 3rd liner either....only so much room to go around for role players. I want the 3rd line to bring some scoring punch too.

And i hope Frost can be that guy. If not well then i dunno...

I get it re: Laughton. But he outscored Patrick last year (32 pts). What is the realistic offensive production for a 3C (also keeping in mind that a 3rd line is not typically relied on for offense-first)?

In my very crude look-up, centers ranked 63-90ish (by position) in terms of points ranged from 48 points at the top end (Gourde/Johnson, Hischier) to 35 (Franz Nielsen, Stepan).

Of course, Konecny is listed as a C, so the rankings are probably pretty flawed, though I wouldn't be surprised if that is the general range. 

In that sense, Laughton is basically a bottom-tier 3C/high-end 4C. Patrick would also have fallen in that category until proven otherwise (strictly in terms of offense).

Can Frost outscore Laughton as a rookie? He certainly has the tools for it - but would it translate right away? 

23 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I mean, fine. As long as they leave him there.

Well not sure if you watched the first episode of behind the glass was being real about Stewie..."Chuck i know you're more familiar with him than me i didn't think he was very good tonight...."

So i think if anything he stays on his PTO....nothing more.

Edited by OccamsRazor
i enjoyed the behind the glass episode

Well despite how the rest of the roster shakes out it looks like Hart is ready to go. Has stopped 56 of 58 shots against.

I'm calling it...

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 21 Scott Laughton - 23 Oskar Lindblom
81 Carsen Twarynski - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 - Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Scratches: 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel, 55 Sam Morin, 8 Robert Hägg

44 Chris Stewart remains on PTO

Not sure what happens when Pitlick and Patrick become available.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

That was the bar. He was our 2C and got 31 points. Laughton was our 3C/4C/3W and got 32 points. 

He may just win by default.

If he is slotted between Lindblom and Farabee i think that line can contribute a lot help take some pressure off the top 6.

I just posted my guess at the line up above.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well not sure if you watched the first episode of behind the glass was being real about Stewie..."Chuck i know you're more familiar with him than me i didn't think he was very good tonight...."

So i think if anything he stays on his PTO....nothing more.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well despite how the rest of the roster shakes out it looks like Hart is ready to go. Has stopped 56 of 58 shots against.

I'm calling it...

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 21 Scott Laughton - 23 Oskar Lindblom
81 Carsen Twarynski - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 - Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Scratches: 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel, 55 Sam Morin, 8 Robert Hägg

44 Chris Stewart remains on PTO

Not sure what happens when Pitlick and Patrick become available.

Seems about right.

Myers is still a ? based on some quotes from AV and others. Maybe he starts out as 7th - or goes to LHV since he's waiver exempt. I don't think they're sold on him just yet.

Prior to departing for the NHL Global Series, Flyers President of Hockey Operations and General Manager, Chuck Fletcher, announced the following roster move.

The Philadelphia Flyers have reduced their training camp roster by one player:

The following player has been loaned to the club's AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms today:

48 - Morgan Frost (C)

The Flyers training camp roster now sits at 26 players.

Frost, who has been sidelined with a groin strain, appeared in two preseason game for the Flyers, recording two shots on goal, while also appearing in the Flyers-Islanders rookie game prior to camp. 

The Flyers now head overseas for the NHL's Global Series and finish up their preseason slate with the Global Challenge exhibition against Lausanne HC in Switzerland. With two days of practice on the schedule, the puck will officially drop on Monday, Sept. 30 at 1 p.m. ET on NBCSP+.