Philadelphia Flyers 2019-20 camp/pre season

OccamsRazor

The first one Ghost was doing his Mcdud impersonation showing off his backwards skating conceding the zone and then doesn't even block the shot.

The 2nd one looked like Ivan was screening Hart.

And the 3rd one you would like for Hart to make the save on.

Not worried with the outcome at all.

• Like 1

At least they didn't lose TK....

Didn't see the game so can't comment much on it but i guess they fought back....leaving out at 10 pm friday night didn't help much....i'm sure the jet lag was there, the big ice...took some time to adjust to.

At least they adjusted...it's about to get real though...

Edited by OccamsRazor
#playoffsorbust

Well, preseason is over, thank goodness. 

Flyers end 1-3-3.

Can't put too much stock in yesterday's Swiss game, but they looked a lot like last year. Hart had a rough game, and they just went through the same patterns. Start slow, fall behind, fall even deeper, and then make a mad dash at the end that comes up just short. 

Also goal scoring has been hard to come by for this team during the preseason.

My prediction is 8-10-2 after 20 games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brelic said:

Hope Hart is just getting the stinker out of the way for now lol.

I know he has experience on the rink, but how much did the international rink angles play a part?  Or too much partying or something for a young kid in Switzerland?

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I know he has experience on the rink, but how much did the international rink angles play a part?  Or too much partying or something for a young kid in Switzerland?

Is he even old enough to party?  Are most of them?  

I hope @brelic isn't right about the first 20 games.  I don't want to lose interest that early in the season.

Maybe they'll be better in CZ?????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Oh, I know. Most of them were probably hungover/jetlagged/overstimulated from a pretty jam packed 2-3 days. I'm sure some of the European guys had family / friends fly in. Lots going on.

Hart didn't look good, and that's ok. It's gonna happen, probably a lot, even if there is no reason other than he's 20. Not even remotely worried about him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

I hope @brelic isn't right about the first 20 games.  I don't want to lose interest that early in the season.

Haha, I hope I'm wrong too! Given all the upheaval, the rough early schedule, new system, new players, young players... 8-10-2 is actually decent. Keeps them afloat, very close to .500. It's also on point with this core of the last 7-8 years that just can't start right out of the gate.

Obviously, I hope it's *much* better than that :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

He is in Europe.  That's why I wonder if it was due to something unusual or just an off game.

RE: 8-10-2

I can't help but think the coaching staff won't tolerate poor effort.

The way the Flyers are practicing with everything going quickly will pay dividends eventually. 

I felt like the message was received after the home sleepwalk loss to the Bruins.

The effort I've seen in the games since has been very good. I didn't watch yesterday, also IDGAF about that game. 

The game that matters is on 10/4- I expect we'll see a team moving its feet and pressuring the puck all over. I think if we don't see that we'll see pieces on the move. I get a strong sense that AV isn't ****** playing. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

RE: 8-10-2

I can't help but think the coaching staff won't tolerate poor effort.

The way the Flyers are practicing with everything going quickly will pay dividends eventually. 

I felt like the message was received after the home sleepwalk loss to the Bruins.

The effort I've seen in the games since has been very good. I didn't watch yesterday, also IDGAF about that game. 

The game that matters is on 10/4- I expect we'll see a team moving its feet and pressuring the puck all over. I think if we don't see that we'll see pieces on the move. I get a strong sense that AV isn't ****** playing. 

I hope you're right. That's the sense I get too, that AV isn't messing around. But there's also the reality of a learning curve for a young roster - Myers, Bunnaman, Farabee, Twarynski, Morin, Hart. That's 1/6 of the roster. I imagine Frost will be back sometime too (I noticed he wasn't dressed for the Phantoms yesterday).

I just have a feeling that Friday's opener, then the West coast swing will be really tough - if they can come out 2-2-1 (which includes the home opener), I'd be happy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He is in Europe.  That's why I wonder if it was due to something unusual or just an off game.

That's true, they do tend to start drinking earlier in Europe.  Hopefully it is just a blip and he bounces back quickly.  He certainly doesn't seem to be the type of goaltender that would let this get the better of him.  

• Like 1

@mojo1917

@brelic

I don't know if you are watching the "Behind the Bench" thing that NHL Network is broadcasting about the Flyers preseason but AV is definitely NOT taking any ****.  The was an answer to a question last night, don't remember what it was, but his response was "They don't have a choice".  

Probably a much different coaching style than they're used to, but I like it. Do they?  Hold them accountable! And it seems if the younger guys play better, harder, etc. than some of the vets, he wouldn't hesitate to let the kids play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

@mojo1917

@brelic

I don't know if you are watching the "Behind the Bench" thing that NHL Network is broadcasting about the Flyers preseason but AV is definitely NOT taking any ****.  The was an answer to a question last night, don't remember what it was, but his response was "They don't have a choice".  

Probably a much different coaching style than they're used to, but I like it. Do they?  Hold them accountable! And it seems if the younger guys play better, harder, etc. than some of the vets, he wouldn't hesitate to let the kids play.

Yeah I watched it. Great stuff! AV comes off the best in that episode. You can tell he wants to win and there's an urgency behind his moves. He's got the same 'bias for action' that Fletch does.

For all the good Hextall did in drafting, getting rid of bad contracts, and signing team-friendly deals, he saddled us with some garbage NHL teams during his time. They became unwatchable.

It feels like we're turning a corner - and I know a lot of it is because of the groundwork Hextall did. 

AV will keep these guys in line. It might take 20 games or so to pull it all together - so my 8-10-2 prediction isn't a dire one. If they can be close to .500 during the early part of the season, they should be fine.

If they have more than 12 wins in the first 20, I will buy everyone here a beer on my next trip to Philly. @elmatus, you comin?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

I have been watching also...I liked the appeal to win one on one battles...then the threat "don't come to me later..." during one of the games.

Vigneault has the pedigree that Hakstol didn't so when he bullies up on the players it's a guy that's won and has been a game from the ultimate prize and not some college guy who intimidated boys ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Flyers end 1-3-3.

Looks like they are in regular season form!

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I know he has experience on the rink, but how much did the international rink angles play a part?

It was the angles so much as all the time and space that seemed to be there for the to need to adjust to.

It is nice that they seemed to eventually adjust.

Something Hakstol sure couldn't do.

Here is the condensed game for other who want to view.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

15 of those guys from those "garbage teams" (e.g. last year) are still on the roster...

Is adding Niskanen, Braun, Hayes, Pitlick/Twarynski/Bunnaman going to change the team fundamentally? We'll see.

AV is a lot more "energetic" than I thought he would be - not that I followed his tenure in New York and/or Vancouver all that closely.

The team has three guys with NHL head coaching experience behind the bench. We're going to find out how much of the struggles were "coaching" and how much was "talent/effort." I lean towards "coaching" but was also not happy with the effort of those "definitely a playoff" "garbage" teams...

Should be an interesting reveal.

I'm all for a kick in the pants for this squad - but the necessity of shuffling lines days before the opening game seems... worrisome?

Love your post, not sure I agree with the last concern though. He and the players are trying to find some chemistry, and that involves experimentation, by definition.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

15 of those guys from those "garbage teams" (e.g. last year) are still on the roster...

Is adding Niskanen, Braun, Hayes, Pitlick/Twarynski/Bunnaman going to change the team fundamentally? We'll see.

If anything, it definitely sends the signal that the defense just wasn't mature enough, and mature with the right talent level. Braun is better than Gudas in terms of what the team needs (someone strong defensively), and Niskanen is definitely better than MacDud. So I would say defense is an upgrade for sure. Provorov still has had quite a few braindead moments this preseason, and IMO, does not belong on the PP ahead of Sanheim. We'll see how it sorts itself out.

Hayes is definitely an upgrade to Patrick at 2C. 

Laughton is definitely a downgrade to Patrick at 3C, but better than Weal, and whoever else we had there last year.

Are Twarynski and Bunnaman upgrades over Lehtera and Weise? Sheesh, I really really hope so. But as they are unknowns, it's hard to say. 

Farabee is a bonus and wildcard that we don't know enough about yet.

And it's clear that AV is not enamoured with the core at the moment.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

AV is a lot more "energetic" than I thought he would be - not that I followed his tenure in New York and/or Vancouver all that closely.

The team has three guys with NHL head coaching experience behind the bench. We're going to find out how much of the struggles were "coaching" and how much was "talent/effort." I lean towards "coaching" but was also not happy with the effort of those "definitely a playoff" "garbage" teams...

Should be an interesting reveal.

I'm all for a kick in the pants for this squad - but the necessity of shuffling lines days before the opening game seems... worrisome?

It's a work in progress. I really do think we're finally turning a corner towards getting better and better over time. The question is how much better, and how much time?

• Like 2