Philadelphia Flyers 2019-20 camp/pre season

OccamsRazor

3 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I was actually thinking that someone might claim him.  He played decent so far.

Yeah I thought he played a very solid guy finished his checks and brought some physical play that is lacking without a Simmonds or Gudas in the lineup.

Oh well guess we'll see soon.

Today's practice lines were:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny

JVR -Hayes-Voracek

Raffl-Laughton-Farabee

Twarynski-Bunnaman-Stewart

Extra: Lindblom.

Provorov-Sanheim

Gostisbehere-Braun

Hägg-Niskanen

Morin-Myers

Replying to
They are getting all the bubble guys in the lineup tomorrow night. They know Lindblom will be on the team, and they know Ghost-Braun will be a D pair.

Ghost and Braun are not playing tomorrow night, per AV.

19 hours ago, brelic said:

At some point they need to set the lines and pair and let these guys develop some chemistry so they are familiar with each other's game, enabling them to play better.

In the loss the other night when Sanheim got caught pinching and then the puck went the other way where Myers had to try and break up the play on the game winning break away to me was an excellent example of those two just not know how the other would play that situation. 

So let them get some time together so they are ready when the bullets are real vs the Blackhawks.

Per Bill the lines more likely for tonight!!!!

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 49 Joel Farabee
81 Carsen Twarynski - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
8 Robert Hägg - 15 Matt Niskanen
55 Sam Morin - 5 - Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Scratches: 25 James van Riemsdyk, 53 Shayne Gostisbehere, 61 Justin Braun.

Hopefully a decisive win.

Wow i must say wasn't aware of this....who knew...

Colby Cohen, who was on-hand for practice and recalled Stewart as being good on breakaways and shootouts, looked up Stewart's lifetime shootout numbers on Hockey Reference. It turns out that he is 12-for-28 (42.9%) in his NHL career in shootouts, and also 3-for-3 on penalty shot opportunities. If he were to make the team, Stewart would actually enter the 2019-20 season with the highest shootout success rate of any player on the Flyers' roster.

HHHHmmmmmmmmm we sure know the Flyers struggle to score in the shootout...not enough reason alone though but...

Edited by OccamsRazor
#foodforthought

And just as i had been saying earlier about Stewart and Bill just repeated about him...

Also keep this in mind: Stewart can stay around on a PTO indefinitely, practice with the team but not play or count against cap until/unless signed. He understands it's his last shot at an NHL spot. (The Islanders did this most of last season with Dennis Seidenberg, and finally signed him for the prorated minimum late in the season). It'd be like having a 14th forward while only needing to carry 13 on the roster/cap.

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And just as i had been saying earlier about Stewart and Bill just repeated about him...

Also keep this in mind: Stewart can stay around on a PTO indefinitely, practice with the team but not play or count against cap until/unless signed. He understands it's his last shot at an NHL spot. (The Islanders did this most of last season with Dennis Seidenberg, and finally signed him for the prorated minimum late in the season). It'd be like having a 14th forward while only needing to carry 13 on the roster/cap.

No.

24 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No.

Haha, I'm guessing they will keep him around without a contract - at least for Europe. Maybe he can get a prax in with his former team.

If I had to guess the opening night roster...

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Frost (if healthy)/Farabee

Raffl/Laughton/Twarynski

Bunnaman (goes to 4th if Frost can't go, Laughton to 3C)

Stewart

Provorov/Niskanen

Ghost/Braun

Sanheim/Myers

Hagg

Morin

Hart

Elliott

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Haha, I'm guessing they will keep him around without a contract - at least for Europe. Maybe he can get a prax in with his former team.

I mean, fine. As long as they leave him there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I mean, fine. As long as they leave him there.

At the end of the day, it's better to have Stewart as 13/14 than NAK. NAK wasn't competing against Stewart - he was competing against Twarynski. At least for now, Twarynski gets the nod. In the meantime, NAK gets minutes while Stewart makes popcorn.

I like Fletch's approach of a fluid roster, no final cuts, they will give this team a lot of looks until it works. 

Edited by brelic

18 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No, it isn't. Because it gives the coaching staff an opportunity to dress him.

Fair enough, but if he's there, and does dress, I'll trust that AV and staff know what they're doing. They aren't clueless. They're intelligent people who know the game inside and out, and the confirmation was to see AV's candid comments about some players (including Stewart) at the end of the Behind the Glass segment. They see what everyone else sees, but they also see WAY more that we don't.

AV wants to win. Fletch wants to win. Do you honestly believe they would purposely dress a lineup that takes them away from that goal?