Wild Fans Speak: 2019-20 Season Preview

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Fans Speak: 2019-20 Season Preview, Part 1 of 3

I talked to 6 Wild fans and 1 non-Wild fan to ask them their thoughts on the team going into this season.  Check out what HockeyForums.net members @IllaZilla @Davey J and @DJ Ricky had to say!  I will publish the next two over the next few days.  

• Like 1

I think the variety of responses is really interesting.  Everyone sees the team in its own unique way.  That's the simple beauty of an article like this.  Like I said, I'd love to do this in person one day and just make a YouTube video of it.  Brews...food...questions and discussion.  I think there would be a lot of laughter and it'd be damn fun even if the discussion was pretty hard on the Wild in the process.  

• Like 2

Wild Fans Speak 2019-20 Season Preview, Part 2 of 3

I wanted to publish this earlier but I've been crazy busy the last 3 days.  This part of the series discusses the Wild lineup, and possibly changing roles for veterans and its younger players.  Enjoy and discuss...

Featuring of course @IllaZilla @Davey J and @DJ Ricky!  

This team has somehow managed to paint itself even further into a corner where age and inflexibility have become very high walls to overcome.  The zucc and Spurgeon signinings further exacerbate the issue.  Someone (CL) clearly wont give up on the Country Club and go rebuild.  At this rate, they will give Koivu another 2 years with NMC, bidding it up against themselves.  So glad I dumped my tix.  Will be geriatric next six years and an example of ‘how NOT to build’a professional sports team; Exhibit A: MN Wild. 

4 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

This team has somehow managed to paint itself even further into a corner where age and inflexibility have become very high walls to overcome.  The zucc and Spurgeon signinings further exacerbate the issue.  Someone (CL) clearly wont give up on the Country Club and go rebuild.  At this rate, they will give Koivu another 2 years with NMC, bidding it up against themselves.  So glad I dumped my tix.  Will be geriatric next six years and an example of ‘how NOT to build’a professional sports team; Exhibit A: MN Wild. 

I will admit, this scenario is sadly plausible with this team after they grossly overpaid Koivu twice.  

On 9/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, EmptyShelf said:

I think Zuccarello was a panic buy by a GM trying to save his job. I bet Fenton knew he was on thin ice and threw the kitchen sink at the first free agent that batted his eyes at him. 

And the Spurgeon contract was also Fenton’s doing because he was more concerned about family vacations than signing Spurgeon and allowed the Rangers to set the bar with the Trouba deal. 

And you’re right. As long as Leipold thinks this team is Cup material, he’s going to want to see a  veteran team on the ice, not a bunch of young guys trying to make the NHL. 

Maybe if they fall flat this year (like most are predicting) and miss the Playoffs again he’ll change his tune, but by then it’ll probably be too late.

• Like 1

Just watched the first ten minutes in the Wild vs the Jets preseason game. That was really ugly. Especially bad was Kahkonen in goal. Two against and basically nothing going his way. I'm not wondering anymore about the fact he didn't play in the AHL playoffs. He clearly isn't ready.  

Not sure if this should go here, but it sounds like two players that are on the outs are Victor Rask and JT Brown. Remember how both Fenton and Boudreau commented that Rask should take advantage of working with Andy Ness over the summer to improve his skating? Apparently that suggestion fell on deaf ears. Rask failed Boudreau's infamous skating test (basically timed Herbies). So did JT Brown.

And it sounds like neither of them have had a strong training camp either...

Wild Fans Speak: 2019-20 Season Preview, Part 3 of 3

Here is the final part of the 3-part series.  Thanks again to @Davey J, @IllaZilla and @DJ Ricky for participating in the series!  This time they give their predictions on the 2019-20 Season.  Check it out!  

Sounds like Nico Sturm is making a big impression so far; from prospect camp, to Traverse City to the pre-season games so far.  

The Wild beating Colorado's B squad 4-3. Watched only a 3 min. recap but I think that was enough. Dubnyk gave up 3 soft goals, Staal looked slow although he did score against Colorado's 3rd string goalie. Zuccarello has hands, we all know that but can he still showcase them when the opponent has more size and skills?

Suter logging almost 30 mins. in a meaningless pre-season game is funny and sad at the same time. The man just keeps on dictating things.

Tonight another go - good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Fans Speak: 2019-20 Season Preview, Part 3 of 3

Here is the final part of the 3-part series.  Thanks again to @Davey J, @IllaZilla and @DJ Ricky for participating in the series!  This time they give their predictions on the 2019-20 Season.  Check it out!  

Sounds like Nico Sturm is making a big impression so far; from prospect camp, to Traverse City to the pre-season games so far.  

Will certainly be interesting to see what the Wild do with him. Russo made it sound like even if he had a great preseason, there was a very real possibility he starts in Iowa because the Wild didn’t want to pay Victor Rask $4M to play in Iowa. 

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I understand that it stings to let a 4 million dollar guy play there but why on earth would one not let Sturm play if he plays better?! The best players play, others wait for their opportunities. It should be simple.

Because I bet they may be hoping Rask plays well enough they can off load him on another team. It's easier to do that if he stays in the NHL...

• Like 1

Well as you stated in a new thread.  Despite being completely ineffective, Rask didn't take the advice from the team and work on his skating.  That $4 million / season confidence Rask has needs to be rattled IMO.  Its not like any team is going to pick him up off waivers.  No one will want that contract and if they do...all the better.  

@CreaseAndAssist that was an interesting discussion you were having with the gentleman on Twitter regarding the Wild and the view that most people in the article were taking with them. 

I respect that each fan will have their own view of the team. But he seemed to keep changing his reasons why the team was going to win the Cup...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

@CreaseAndAssist that was an interesting discussion you were having with the gentleman on Twitter regarding the Wild and the view that most people in the article were taking with them. 

I respect that each fan will have their own view of the team. But he seemed to keep changing his reasons why the team was going to win the Cup...

Yea.  Got to love it when they keep moving the goal posts or set their expectations so low they always will be happy with this team.  I so love homers...

7 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yea.  Got to love it when they keep moving the goal posts or set their expectations so low they always will be happy with this team.  I so love homers...

I went to the Twins game Saturday night with the Mrs. And you know what? I was thoroughly entertained, even though they lost. A bunch of young guys just out there playing their hearts out.

Everyone was hustling. No one was "conserving" their energy. Everyone swinging for the fences at every at bat, not trying to "bunt 'em over, boys!"

I expect when these guys come up for contracts the Pohlads will trade most of them away because they're not "The Hometown Boy". 

But for right now I was entertained.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I went to the Twins game Saturday night with the Mrs. And you know what? I was thoroughly entertained, even though they lost. A bunch of young guys just out there playing their hearts out.

Everyone was hustling. No one was "conserving" their energy. Everyone swinging for the fences at every at bat, not trying to "bunt 'em over, boys!"

I expect when these guys come up for contracts the Pohlads will trade most of them away because they're not "The Hometown Boy". 

I was there too - and there WAS one time Rosario didn't run out an infield grounder - so not everyone hustled. The one saving grace was the crowd for the most part boo'd that bogus effort

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, IllaZilla said:

Not sure if this should go here, but it sounds like two players that are on the outs are Victor Rask and JT Brown. Remember how both Fenton and Boudreau commented that Rask should take advantage of working with Andy Ness over the summer to improve his skating? Apparently that suggestion fell on deaf ears. Rask failed Boudreau's infamous skating test (basically timed Herbies). So did JT Brown.

And it sounds like neither of them have had a strong training camp either...

I will NEVER understand the NN for Rask trade.  Like NN, or hate NN, Rask was a horrible trade that was never scouted.  If he had been, his skating, speed, and fitness issues would have been well known.  Just dump Rask anyway you can, it's a sunk cost/loss from a former GM, whom has $0 value.  Fenton is a totally thick jacka$$ for making this 'old-time hockey' trade.  I don't think he will ever see GM again, either.  Total Disaster....

On 9/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, IllaZilla said:

I have seen several Twins games recently.  They are great fun to watch, and they should be able to keep the core together for 3 more seasons before the Arbitration diminishes.  They have been well-built, and I would like to see the Wild learn some lessons (e.g. play the young guys as much as they can, so when they mature like the Twins have, you are a threat to beat any team in the playoffs).  That said, the Twins pitching scares me at present, but shouldn't in 1-2 years when Graterol, Balazovic, Duran, and others are up with Berrios.

8 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I will NEVER understand the NN for Rask trade.  Like NN, or hate NN, Rask was a horrible trade that was never scouted.  If he had been, his skating, speed, and fitness issues would have been well known.  Just dump Rask anyway you can, it's a sunk cost/loss from a former GM, whom has $0 value.  Fenton is a totally thick jacka$$ for making this 'old-time hockey' trade.  I don't think he will ever see GM again, either.  Total Disaster....

Well, if it's any consolation, sounds like Rask is destined for the fifth line (press box) to start the year. Boudreau was not impressed with him at all this preseason.

Maybe Guerin can dump him on a team trying to make the salary floor at the 2020 entry draft for a seventh rounder. Heck, at this point I'd take a bag of stale Cheetos for him...

On 9/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, Hockey-78 said:

The Wild beating Colorado's B squad 4-3. Watched only a 3 min. recap but I think that was enough. Dubnyk gave up 3 soft goals, Staal looked slow although he did score against Colorado's 3rd string goalie. Zuccarello has hands, we all know that but can he still showcase them when the opponent has more size and skills?

Suter logging almost 30 mins. in a meaningless pre-season game is funny and sad at the same time. The man just keeps on dictating things.

Tonight another go - good luck.

It seems the team needs to put at least 4 goals per game to be able to reach the top of the Central Division. Practically all teams in that Division are very difficult to play against. Dubnyk played in 3 pre-season games and lost 9 goals, which is kind of a lot. First game  of the season we are playing against Predators on Thursday, October 3rd. Hope for our win.