News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Fans Speak: 2019-20 Season Preview

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

I talked to 6 Wild fans and 1 non-Wild fan to ask them their thoughts on the team going into this season.  Check out what HockeyForums.net members @IllaZilla @Davey J and @DJ Ricky had to say!  I will publish the next two over the next few days.  

• Like 1

I think the variety of responses is really interesting.  Everyone sees the team in its own unique way.  That's the simple beauty of an article like this.  Like I said, I'd love to do this in person one day and just make a YouTube video of it.  Brews...food...questions and discussion.  I think there would be a lot of laughter and it'd be damn fun even if the discussion was pretty hard on the Wild in the process.  

• Like 2

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

I wanted to publish this earlier but I've been crazy busy the last 3 days.  This part of the series discusses the Wild lineup, and possibly changing roles for veterans and its younger players.  Enjoy and discuss...

Featuring of course @IllaZilla @Davey J and @DJ Ricky!  

The thing to do would be to cut losses and trade Parise for anything (a pick, a prospect) that would bring even a minor improvement to the team. But apparently that recapture penalty makes that impossible? We're stuck, apparently.

This team has somehow managed to paint itself even further into a corner where age and inflexibility have become very high walls to overcome.  The zucc and Spurgeon signinings further exacerbate the issue.  Someone (CL) clearly wont give up on the Country Club and go rebuild.  At this rate, they will give Koivu another 2 years with NMC, bidding it up against themselves.  So glad I dumped my tix.  Will be geriatric next six years and an example of ‘how NOT to build’a professional sports team; Exhibit A: MN Wild. 

4 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

This team has somehow managed to paint itself even further into a corner where age and inflexibility have become very high walls to overcome.  The zucc and Spurgeon signinings further exacerbate the issue.  Someone (CL) clearly wont give up on the Country Club and go rebuild.  At this rate, they will give Koivu another 2 years with NMC, bidding it up against themselves.  So glad I dumped my tix.  Will be geriatric next six years and an example of ‘how NOT to build’a professional sports team; Exhibit A: MN Wild. 

I will admit, this scenario is sadly plausible with this team after they grossly overpaid Koivu twice.  

On 9/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, EmptyShelf said:

I think Zuccarello was a panic buy by a GM trying to save his job. I bet Fenton knew he was on thin ice and threw the kitchen sink at the first free agent that batted his eyes at him. 

And the Spurgeon contract was also Fenton’s doing because he was more concerned about family vacations than signing Spurgeon and allowed the Rangers to set the bar with the Trouba deal. 

And you’re right. As long as Leipold thinks this team is Cup material, he’s going to want to see a  veteran team on the ice, not a bunch of young guys trying to make the NHL. 

Maybe if they fall flat this year (like most are predicting) and miss the Playoffs again he’ll change his tune, but by then it’ll probably be too late.

• Like 1

I would agree @IllaZilla Fenton could feel the walls starting to get closer and closer so he just said...we must sign someone.  I don't care; give him everything he wants.  We can't come up short again...and boom...another terrible mistake.  

Just watched the first ten minutes in the Wild vs the Jets preseason game. That was really ugly. Especially bad was Kahkonen in goal. Two against and basically nothing going his way. I'm not wondering anymore about the fact he didn't play in the AHL playoffs. He clearly isn't ready.  

Not sure if this should go here, but it sounds like two players that are on the outs are Victor Rask and JT Brown. Remember how both Fenton and Boudreau commented that Rask should take advantage of working with Andy Ness over the summer to improve his skating? Apparently that suggestion fell on deaf ears. Rask failed Boudreau's infamous skating test (basically timed Herbies). So did JT Brown.

And it sounds like neither of them have had a strong training camp either...