Wild sign Fiala to two year deal

IllaZilla

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Meh.  Probably about the right price...but I still wouldn'tve paid him $3 million.  Wild still have about $5 million in cap space.  

It is , probably, the right price. From my understanding, Fiala was waiting for a better proposal and this is why it took longer to sign his contract. Hope, they will keep those left $5 million to sign next year a contract with Kirill Kaprizov.

27 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

It is , probably, the right price. From my understanding, Fiala was waiting for a better proposal and this is why it took longer to sign his contract. Hope, they will keep those left $5 million to sign next year a contract with Kirill Kaprizov.

Fiala wasn’t going to get a better deal. Check out CapFriendly.com.  Fiala slotted in with several other players his age and more or less similar production. I think the Wild went a bit high, but not terribly.

The Wild will have plenty of cap space next season, especially considering Koivu ($5.5M) and Ennis ($1.5M) come off the cap. Kaprizov is only going to cost around $3M. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Fiala wasn’t going to get a better deal. Check out CapFriendly.com.  Fiala slotted in with several other players his age and more or less similar production. I think the Wild went a bit high, but not terribly.

The Wild will have plenty of cap space next season, especially considering Koivu ($5.5M) and Ennis ($1.5M) come off the cap. Kaprizov is only going to cost around $3M. 

I am not saying he's crazy overpaid.  I think Kaprizov may command more than that.  He knows the Wild are desperate.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I am not saying he's crazy overpaid.  I think Kaprizov may command more than that.  He knows the Wild are desperate.  

Same as Gusev did this year - instead of $2 millions per year he commanded $4 M. And I think he got it through the New Jersey Devils $4.5 M for the season 20/21 because Vegas Nights did not want to pay these money.

Here are the fresh(today) news which I found. Canacks did not have money to sign a very promising player Brock Boeser , but we have them and a nice opportunity to sign him as soon as possible.

Here is a link to read about that chance:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4656214-With-no-contract-in-hand-Brock-Boeser-returns-to-UND

Edited by Alexandron

Wikipedia said that Gusev signed this year a 2 years deal for $9 M ($4.5 M per season) with a New Jersey Devils team. I think Kaprizov capable to make the same thing as Gusev did . If the Wild will not make a nice offer, then he will look for other team.

28 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Wikipedia said that Gusev signed this year a 2 years deal for $9 M ($4.5 M per season) with a New Jersey Devils team. I think Kaprizov capable to make the same thing as Gusev did . If the Wild will not make a nice offer, then he will look for other team.

he will get an entry level contract

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

He can’t go to a different team if he wants to play in the NHL it will with the Wild

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Gusev got $9M because it was his second contract. He was drafted by Tampa in 2017, and then his rights were traded to Vegas in 2019. He signed a one year entry level deal with Vegas in April 2019 and played about two months on that deal before it expired making him an RFA and eligible for a much bigger deal. 

Kaprisov can’t look for another team unless it’s in Europe. The Wild own his rights. He can’t play for another NHL team unless the Wild trade his rights. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I would be hesitant to pay Kaprizov a huge amount of money. Despite the KHL success he's basically an unknown quantity and the play in international games has been good but not that outstanding to risk a lot of money.

He's speculative but the Wild are in desperation mode.  That is my only reason they overpay him; for fear of him doubling down with another KHL deal.  He'll probably be given the max for an entry level contract.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 2

My meaning reason is the same as LIG’s - the Wild should pay to Kaprizov slightly more to attract him somehow here(on an entry level) at least for a short 1-2 seasons contract.

Just checked our roster(69 players) for the training camp this fall and did not find our 1st round draft Boldy; a 2nd round draft Firstov; and a 3rd round draft McBain of this year, but found lots of new names- invitees (total 14) for a tryout.

https://files.constantcontact.com/10f93794401/5a390a19-0e2a-4955-b85c-b3f78e3eeef4.pdf

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

My meaning reason is the same as LIG’s - the Wild should pay to Kaprizov slightly more to attract him somehow here(on an entry level) at least for a short 1-2 seasons contract.

Just checked our roster(69 players) for the training camp this fall and did not find our 1st round draft Boldy; a 2nd round draft Firstov; and a 3rd round draft McBain of this year, but found lots of new names- invitees (total 14) for a tryout.

https://files.constantcontact.com/10f93794401/5a390a19-0e2a-4955-b85c-b3f78e3eeef4.pdf

Boldy, McBain, and Firstov are all in college. They won’t be in camp. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, IllaZilla said:

Until Clyde is actually gone I won't be holding my breath. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they sign him to another 2 years if he doesn't retire.

8 hours ago, TheBoogieMan said:

Until Clyde is actually gone I won't be holding my breath. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they sign him to another 2 years if he doesn't retire.

It’s going to depend on a couple of things. After this injury, if Koivu can’t play at an acceptable level (for him) he may retire. Kind of like Walz did, but just don’t drag it out for three months like Walz did. And if Eriksson-Ek, Kunin and maybe even Rask take a step forward. If the Wild have a replacement(s) ready to go, they may not offer him another contract. Or only a one year deal at a greatly reduced rate. But I’m with you. I won’t believe he’s gone until he really is gone. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:21 PM, Alexandron said:

Here are the fresh(today) news which I found. Canucks did not have money to sign a very promising player Brock Boeser , but we have them and a nice opportunity to sign him as soon as possible.

Here is a link to read about that chance:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4656214-With-no-contract-in-hand-Brock-Boeser-returns-to-UND

We missed a pretty solid recent opportunity to sign Brock Boeser. He was finally signed 3 days ago on a 3 years deal with Canucks. They were able to find money for a short term contract.

Here is a link:

https://www.nhl.com/news/brock-boeser-canucks-agree-to-new-contract/c-308094710

On 9/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, IllaZilla said:

I beg to differ.  Kaprisov is going to cost a lot more than $3MM.  If the Wild wait out this year and he continues to play the way he is (6G 7A = 13pts in 10 Games), he is going to cost $5MM+.  Svetlakov has already re-upped over there for four more years (another Wild pick).  Thus, Guerin is going to have to impress Kaprisov given the history in dealing with the Wild, and given that he is probably the top player not in the NHL, and the KHL will want to keep him.  Check out this quote from his last meaningful interview:

"Well, you know that they weren’t too interested in me. What round was I picked at? The fifth? “I think that they forgot about me immediately after the selection. Only when I made it to the WC they started to do something and started talking with my agent. We all seen the job the Maple Leafs did with Nikita Zaitsev. There was nothing like that with me. I want to play in the NHL. Just not now, but a bit later. At first, I need to play well here, to be more confident. Sometimes I don’t play well even here, in the KHL."

This is indefensible for a team with as little young talent as the Wild that struck gold in drafting him in Round 5.  He should have been signed BEFORE his most recent contract.  Fletcher 'screwed the pooch' on this one, and it scares the he77 out of me that Fenton reached out in the last year - that could have really soured things for Guerin.  Fenton was an arrogant and inept imbecile.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I beg to differ.  Kaprisov is going to cost a lot more than $3MM.  If the Wild wait out this year and he continues to play the way he is (6G 7A = 13pts in 10 Games), he is going to cost $5MM+.  Svetlakov has already re-upped over there for four more years (another Wild pick).  Thus, Guerin is going to have to impress Kaprisov given the history in dealing with the Wild, and given that he is probably the top player not in the NHL, and the KHL will want to keep him.  Check out this quote from his last meaningful interview:

They can't pay him more than around $3M (Maximum salary of $925,000 and a maximum of $2,850,000 in bonuses) on an entry level contract. It's in the CBA.

The only way he gets more is if the Wild do what Vegas did with Gusev. Sign him to an entry level deal when his KHL contract expires (I think in April, that's when Gusev's KHL contract expired), and then when the entry level deal expires June 30, re-sign him to a bigger deal with his second contract.

7 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

This is indefensible for a team with as little young talent as the Wild that struck gold in drafting him in Round 5.  He should have been signed BEFORE his most recent contract.  Fletcher 'screwed the pooch' on this one, and it scares the he77 out of me that Fenton reached out in the last year - that could have really soured things for Guerin.  Fenton was an arrogant and inept imbecile.

According to Fletcher, he did try to meet with Kaprisov on several occasions (Olympics, World Cup) but Kaprisov's agent kept blowing the Wild off. And there were also rumors that Kaprisov was "encouraged" to sign with CSKA Moscow (Putin's favorite team) to make sure his family was "taken care of".

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

They can't pay him more than around $3M (Maximum salary of $925,000 and a maximum of $2,850,000 in bonuses) on an entry level contract. It's in the CBA.

The only way he gets more is if the Wild do what Vegas did with Gusev. Sign him to an entry level deal when his KHL contract expires (I think in April, that's when Gusev's KHL contract expired), and then when the entry level deal expires June 30, re-sign him to a bigger deal with his second contract.

Hope, they will be able to do by similar way. But I am very skeptical that it will ever happened.

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

According to Fletcher, he did try to meet with Kaprisov on several occasions (Olympics, World Cup) but Kaprisov's agent kept blowing the Wild off. And there were also rumors that Kaprisov was "encouraged" to sign with CSKA Moscow (Putin's favorite team) to make sure his family was "taken care of".

If I remember that Fletcher did meet personally with Kaprizov in Moscow last fall and also watched few SCKA games there with his(Kaprizov) participation , but what he really promised to him hard to tell. I am not sure if Fletcher was able to meet with Svetlakov there too. I think the most deals happened for him after the Russian team with Kaprizov won Olympics last year as well as 2 years in a row  SCKA team reached Gagarin Cup finals and won it this year. Probably, his contract is much better there in comparison to an entry level here.

13 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

"Well, you know that they weren’t too interested in me. What round was I picked at? The fifth? “I think that they forgot about me immediately after the selection. Only when I made it to the WC they started to do something and started talking with my agent. We all seen the job the Maple Leafs did with Nikita Zaitsev. There was nothing like that with me. I want to play in the NHL. Just not now, but a bit later. At first, I need to play well here, to be more confident. Sometimes I don’t play well even here, in the KHL."

Exactly, agree with you.The way how they are signing the oldish not prospective in future players and leaving a less room for the youngsters discouraging anyone out of the young hockey generation as well as fans too. I am already gradually but permanently losing my interest to that team especially after this fall training camp and a preseason start (production so far is on a lower level and who was involved into those preseason games instead of placing for tryout the most youngest players like other clubs permanently do).

Personally for me, never was important a lot if a prospect or 1st rounder or 5th rounder. Because one day/or season he was the best and then next day/or season he becomes a noting special. We know that many players were a 3rd-6th rounders but became NHL stars. For the Wild organization more important to look for a flexible, plastic hard working talented material to be really developed into a star. I really do not see that work in full. Consistent developing of our own treasure should be the key to the team’s success. But the Wild organization practically looking for the waste leftover oldish material capable only to pretend to be a playoffs team, but not a real Stanley Cup contender. Same tendency last few years I do see at the Iowa Wild organization too. I am not surprised that Svetlakov understood his weak future here and signed a new 4 years contract with the best #1 KHL club - CSKA. Probably, and Kaprizov realizing same perspective here too. It seems he is thinking that he will get a much better future and a real support there than here. According to his interview the Wild organization was not capable to attract him well to Minnesota, because he was a 5th rounder and were skeptical in him. Same happened already with Svetlakov.