Red Wings using 4 alternate captains 2019/20

Hale

Hey everyone, first time posting but been here for a while but just saw (via Gregg Krupa) that the Red Wings are using 4 alternate captains for the 2019/20 season.  Personally I’m ready to move on after Zetterberg. Perhaps Yzerman is taking his time and making sure Larkin is ready himself.  Who am I to question the Captain, (19) any thoughts?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hale said:

Hey everyone, first time posting but been here for a while but just saw (via Gregg Krupa) that the Red Wings are using 4 alternate captains for the 2019/20 season.  Personally I’m ready to move on after Zetterberg. Perhaps Yzerman is taking his time and making sure Larkin is ready himself.  Who am I to question the Captain, (19) any thoughts?

First of all, welcome, @Hale. Nice to see new RW blood on here.

I agree with the heart behind wanting Larkin donning the C. That is an eventuality, and I agree that I wanted it to happen this season. I also think it's getting close to ridiculous to have 4 A's. Why stop there? Why not 8?!

(And BTW, 4 probably means Abdelkader will likely don one of them, and after last season's flop, the question is legit: Are that many A's really necessary?)

But nobody--and I mean NOBODY--knows more about the pressures of being tapped as captain at a young age than Steve Yzerman. I think he brings a lot of weight and wisdom to that discussion. You and I really have little clue what it takes. He KNOWS what it takes.

And I guess to some degree, what Stevie says about players earning spots will be true of the captaincy. Perhaps he wants to provide Larkin the token carrot to try to get his play to the next level--fewer penalties while maintaining or increasing his production and two-way play.

In addition, he understands the value of not overloading him with all of the responsibilities of being the sole captain. We do have veterans who can help him. It's not like a total rebuild with only kids.

AND Stevie also knows how tough being a captain can be when the team isn't winning. Look at Kronner's post-game interviews and how much gravitas it had to take to answer questions from the press after our two ridiculously horrible losses against Montreal last season. Is Larkin ready to be that sole voice? Will the responsibility that weighs on a captain when the team is losing affect Larkin? Is he mentally ready to do all of that? Even if he is, is it smart to do that? Or is it better to share that weight?

Remember, when Stevie joined the Red Wings, they were the Dead Things! He knows how tough those beginning years were. And ALSO remember how long it took him to lead his team to the Cup after he got the C--it was a LONG journey, and as they got good, but not good enough, that whole idea of, "Yzerman's good enough to win, but not win the whole thing," weighed heavily on him during those years. No need to lop on all of that pressure so soon. It'll come. No need to rush it.

But I won't lie: I'm somewhat disappointed myself. But again, Yzerman knows MUCH more about this, and I trust his judgment over most on issues like this. Experience is worth gold here!

Edited by SpikeDDS

These are great points. In particular, supporting Larkin through non-winning times and giving him time to learn/earn the Captaincy.  There’s no rush, we’re not winning this year. Unfortunately there isn’t a legit bridge player like Kronwall to assume the role for a few years. 

I’m sure the most important role is who sets the tone in the locker room which would be delegated organically to the individual everyone falls in line with. C’s and A’s are on ice window dressing. 

Gotta trust Stevie. 

• Like 1