Provorov Signs, 6 years, 6.75 million per

AJgoal

It shouldn't take long to get TK done. No matter what, he's coming in significantly below $6 a year. I can see a 6 year deal also, in the neighbourhood of $5.25 a year. Provorov was going to be the priority. The good news though is that there's a bit of money left over, so Konecny will get paid. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Wow, so we pretty much lose him in his prime at 28...or pay through the nose.

Well, the other option is to pay through the nose as he enters his prime, like Columbus will be facing with Werenski. And then you run the risk of him just signing his QO and walking to UFA in 4 years instead.

• Like 1

Great deal.  And a good job by Fletcher.  Werenski contract have him a hand here, but good to get it done.

I've been saying for a while that things are going to get messy with Konecny.  The prior regime wasn't in love with his game.  I thought Fletcher might bring a different perspective, but it seems they are still at odds.  Really disappointed he's not there on the first day of camp.  

Glad to see this done. As usual....Time will tell, but I think now that the Player only has to think about his game and getting better for the next 4+ years....I'm good with that. And he better do just that....Get his game back to where it was a couple years ago!

Glad to have him on the team though!

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So what took so long?

From what i read is Chuckles wanted the 8 year term and Ivan wanted another chance at the apple before turning 30.

Hard to blame him i guess. Guess we'll worry about it when they get there again. I'm happy he is in the fold for the start of his prime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vis said:

I've been saying for a while that things are going to get messy with Konecny. 

The biggest issue with TK and Ivan is the Flyers farm isn't exactly stocked with #1 D men prospects.

However they are chocked full of top 6 type of potential wingers.

So Chuckles knows with Jake already under contract till 2023-24 there is no need i guess for him to lock up 2 RW spots till 2022-23 if he doesn't have to or beyond with all the forward depth to be pouring in real soon.

Not saying there are a few that are as good as TK right now but it seems he doesn't want to paint himself into a corner right now with the depth at his disposal.

Especially if he is counting on sliding Hayes over to RW in a year or two already.

Not saying any of this is happening just guessing.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I'm a bit surprised, based on the Morrissey and Werenski deals, I'd have thought it would come in a bit lower. Good deal, though. 

Morrissey is a couple of years older.  Also, not sure it makes much of a difference, but his is an extension deal and kicks in next year.  Plus, Ivan is clearly the Flyers' #1 dman and a potential Norris candidate.  Yeah, he had a bad year last year, but I think that was an anomaly.  Not sure Morrissey projects as well as Provorov projects.

Werenski's deal is weird.  Yeah, they got him for a $5m cap hit for the next three years, but that will jump to at least $7.7 million thereafter.  I'm cool knowing that Provorov is locked up at a good rate.

13 hours ago, AJgoal said:

So the Flyers have a bit better than 8 million to get TK under contract and fill two-three additional forward slots. 

TK should get a Coots type deal, but shorter term for a bridge deal... and looking at Johnson and Kapanen he should be thrilled to get it.  

I know he thinks, "hey, I'm the 1RW!" but he didn't get the special teams minutes and that's a big deal.  He (and we) can blame Hakstol all he/we want, but Gordon didn't really use him that way either.  

William Nylander was an incredible eff up by the maple leafs, but even so, Nylander is a Center and had already performed quite a bit better than TK has so far and he did it without much PP or PK time as well.

TK simply has to accept that he has to take the bridge deal, set himself up for the big qualifying offer like Weresnki and be happy earning what he's actually worth right now.  He'll have three years or so to go out and show the league he's worth $8million.  In the meantime, he's a 22 year old kid about to earn $4.5 million AAV.  That should be good.

If Fletcher is trying to sign him for less than that... shame on Fletcher.  

NOW, that said, I think they're done.  I don't think they sign anyone else.  Between Pitlick, the Germ, Frosty, Farabee, NAK and Vorobyev, they'll have plenty of capable bodies to try to take that 3RW and bench slot. Additionally, seeing as how so many of the above will be waiver exempt (I believe), I wouldn't feel amazing pressure to carry 2 forwards (since apparently Fletcher thinks we need to carry 8 D men).

At this point, if playing a kid on the 3rd with Patty is too dicey (I think it'll work because even though they're young, Patty and Lindblom's defensive games are actually both pretty good, but say it doesn't, then...) I almost feel like the safest scenario is Laughton at 3RW and Ruby on the 4th.  

If they start the season and it doesn't work out with any of the above scenarios, then there's always the possibility of a Hagg trade for a decent 3RW to be had.  That said, I think Hagg is likely worth a bit more than your average 3RW.

They need to enter this season with a bit of cap room.  They may need to make moves here and there, and Fletcher is going to need that room next summer for Patty and Lindblom and Myers... all of whom, I fully expect to make life very difficult and make the Kevin Hayes deal seem dangerously irresponsible.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Morrissey is a couple of years older.  Also, not sure it makes much of a difference, but his is an extension deal and kicks in next year.  Plus, Ivan is clearly the Flyers' #1 dman and a potential Norris candidate.  Yeah, he had a bad year last year, but I think that was an anomaly.  Not sure Morrissey projects as well as Provorov projects.

Werenski's deal is weird.  Yeah, they got him for a $5m cap hit for the next three years, but that will jump to at least $7.7 million thereafter.  I'm cool knowing that Provorov is locked up at a good rate.

Morissey being older actually supports my position - the contract buys six UFA years as opposed to two. In addition, as term goes down, so (generally) does cap hit. Even if you believe that Provorov is better, as I do, that 6.75 is comparable to a 7.25, 7.5 on an eight year deal. Is he that much better than Morrissey,, who might be the #1 on the Jets going forward? The flip side is on a long term deal, you expect a higher AAV than Werenski's deal. If you subscribe to the idea that they are roughly comparable, that values those two UFA years bought at around 9 million. 

I'm not really quibbling about the contract, I was worried he'd come in over 7, I'm just surprised looking at the recent comparables.

Wow, i was expecting the GM to get grilled no matter how this turned out. I say nice job Mr. GM

We knew all along he would sign, and its for far less than most of us thought, and longer term.

Now we can stop worrying for six years. Wait, i forgot, we are Flyer fans. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Wow, so we pretty much lose him in his prime at 28...or pay through the nose.

Well we'll see if he turns into the number 1 defenseman that we hope or maybe Sanhiem ends up being the number 1. Also we have York coming down the pipeline. The landscape of the NHL may change in 6 years time, who knows. The good part is he's signed for the next 6 years at a decent cap hit.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1