"Patrick Almost Not Injured Any More!"

RonJeremy

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

And many of us were worried with his history and combined with the Flyer's luck that - well something like what has happened...would.

:56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

And would have preferred to play it safe and trade back...but hey let's play Devil's advocate and i will say no one else wanted that hard decision.

20/20 hindsight gets you Petersson, but, honestly, there's not much more in that draft that makes you go "wish we got him." Heiskanen, fine, but the Flyers were/are stocked with young defencemen and did have a need at C.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

:56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

20/20 hindsight gets you Petersson, but, honestly, there's not much more in that draft that makes you go "wish we got him." Heiskanen, fine, but the Flyers were/are stocked with young defencemen and did have a need at C.

Cale Makar says hello!!!

You know the 21 year old right shot who has 25 points (7 g 18 a) in 23 games so far in his rookie season so far he would look good in orange and black......

......NO?

Then you could just trade Ghost and Sanheim for all i care...

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

but the Flyers were/are stocked with young defencemen and did have a need at C.

Oh yeah and till someone is blowing the league up as a defenseman....you never have enough of those guys...

...but hey we're still waiting on Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim and Myers....never give up hope!

#oneday

Cale Makar says hello!!!

You know the 21 year old right shot who has 25 points (7 g 18 a) in 23 games so far in his rookie season so far he would look good in orange and black......

I get it, but that's two years later and you've already had 160 games or so of Patrick.

Presuming that Dallas, Colorado, or Vancouver would have wanted to trade up to get Patrick, I just don't think it's realistic to think that the Flyers would give up one of the two consensus top picks in the draft for an American college defenseman.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...but hey we're still waiting on Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim and Myers....never give up hope!

All Ghost did was put up 65 points in 2017-18 two year removed from his 17/46 (in 64 games) rookie season.

At the end of the day, hindsight is hindsight and you can always have a better draft when you're looking back two years and cherry picking.

Just now, radoran said:

I get it, but that's two years later and you've already had 160 games or so of Patrick.

Presuming that Dallas, Colorado, or Vancouver would have wanted to trade up to get Patrick, I just don't think it's realistic to think that the Flyers would give up one of the two consensus top picks in the draft for an American college defenseman.

All Ghost did was put up 65 points in 2017-18 two year removed from his 17/46 (in 64 games) rookie season.

At the end of the day, hindsight is hindsight and you can always have a better draft when you're looking back two years and cherry picking.

Yeah yeah - we'll tell ourselves that.

Works for me helps the medicine go down.

Yeah we had no choice you see.....now i feel better.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah we had no choice you see.....now i feel better.

They had a choice. I just don't think they would choose to have traded back given what they knew in 2017.

Works for me helps the medicine go down.

I recommend whiskey - in a pint glass. :beer:

• Like 2

I don't recall anyone on here saying "draft Makar"...or Heiskanen...or Peterson leading up to the draft. Some said they'd prefer Hischier, but we never had that option. 

Like Rad mentioned, you could do this with practically every pick made. It wasn't like Patrick was a reach that Hextall blundered on. It was pretty much a consensus 1/2 draft. Right now it's looking pretty glum. Hopefully the guy can recover and become something.

• Like 1

going back to the thread we had going back then ....

https://www.hockeyforums.net/topic/69291-flyers-now-drafting-2-overall-and-the-2017-nhl-draft-now-with-poll/?page=2

Weaknesses

Going into the year, many scouts would have listed just about every hockey skill under the headline “strengths” for Patrick. But things have changed.

In the scouting report above, Future Considerations still noted Patrick “has great wheels and is able to surprise with his speed.” However, many scouts call Patrick’s skating his biggest weakness now, at least when it comes to speed.

Another knock on him, though this is not talent-related, is Patrick’s injury history. He missed almost 20 games in the 2014-15 season and was limited to 33 regular-season contests this year. The worst part: he missed that time rehabbing from sports hernia surgery — which is worrying at this young age.

I posted this almost 2.5 years ago ....

As mentioned at the time ....the topic of discussion was the Flyers had TOO man good young d-men in system.  Makar never was really mentioned.

Hindsight being 20/20 ....E. Pettersson would look awesome in O&B ...(sigh)

Edited by pilldoc

22 hours ago, radoran said:

From Cody Glass at #6 to Frost at #27, the draft looks like a laundry list of "who cares?"

As far as history goes, I remember a couple people talking about Glass.  I don't remember any talk about Petterssson or Heiskanen or Makar.

In fact, for all of the Makar talk now, I don't recall his name being mentioned once, either before or after the draft.   Maybe if we don't "win" the lottery we end up with Nick Suzuki, who is having a nice start just this year.

But at the time there were two options being discussed.  1) Of Hischier or Patrick, whichever one Jersey didn't take.  2) Trade the pick.  But this option was more about trading for volume of picks and/or an established player than trading back for player X (though I do remember someone specifically talking about Glass).  

Yeah, 20/20 hindsight, it was either wrong pick or bad decisions made regarding juniors vs. NHL (I think many of us argued against NHL at the time).   I don't think the choice of NHL vs. junior made a difference regarding the types of injuries he's suffered, but it could have made a difference in his not looking like a lost lifeless puppy when he does play.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Rux - I was one of the people talking about Cody Glass...but that was before we got the 2nd overall pick. There's no way I would have wanted him with that pick then.

I figured you and possibly Jammer were the reasons I knew the name at the time.  Yeah, I don't think anyone was advocating Glass with the 2nd pick.   But I thought I remembered someone suggesting trading back to get him and something.

I certainly don't remember any discussion of Heiskanen, Makar, or Pettersson.    In fact, I thought there was some surprise at the Canucks taking Pettersson as high as they did.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The question is whether this guy returns to play on a stable/consistent basis. We dont need Forsberg-style drama. I hate to say that but this kid's history isn't the stuff that dreams are made of. 

Nightmares 

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 11:40 AM, Howie58 said:

The question is whether this guy returns to play on a stable/consistent basis.

Maybe there is hope....this has to be viewed as such i would say....although 22 months is a long time to wait but better than not ever again....

Headache-plagued Stephen Johns finally back on ice for Stars

https://news.yahoo.com/headache-plagued-stephen-johns-finally-085533028.html

We'll see.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

Nicklas Backstrom...that's the name I pin my hope to. 

But this is certainly good news too.

Percy Harvin dealt with this too during his NFL career.  

I sure hope the kid can beat this not just for the Flyer's sake but for his own well being.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Digityman said:

He was on the ice yesterday.   There's hope.

Was that the first time on the ice though. My understanding was that he was "practicing with the team" for awhile, but I have no idea what that means

21 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Was that the first time on the ice though. My understanding was that he was "practicing with the team" for awhile, but I have no idea what that means

No sure.  Just heard that he was on the ice during the 'skills' practice.   No contact, but he was racing TK and joking around with others.  Any sign is a good sign in this case.   I really think he makes the team a lot better and much harder to lineup against.

SUNRISE, Fla. — Center Nolan Patrick is making very good progress and there’s a chance he will join the Flyers’ practices on a full-time basis as early as Monday, general manager Chuck Fletcher said before Thursday’s game in Florida.

Patrick, 21, who scored 13 goals in each of his first two seasons, skated Thursday in Voorhees. He has missed the entire season because of a migraine disorder.  

“He’s really been ramping up the intensity of his skates,” Fletcher said, “and hopefully on Monday he’ll be part of our group for skating. He’s not cleared for contact yet, but, again, he’s continuing to do more and more on the ice and more and more off the ice. He’s trending the right way.”

Added Fletcher: “Our schedule the next few weeks has us at home more than we’re traveling, so we should have the opportunity to integrate him into our [practice] group.”

If the Flyers are able to get Patrick back, it might reduce their need to hit the trade market.

“It certainly could,” said Fletcher, mindful that the Feb. 24 trade deadline is approaching. “You can never have enough depth, but it’s hard to find a player of [Patrick’s] caliber available.”

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-nolan-patrick-migraine-disorder-chuck-fletcher-improving-practice-gostisbehere-20200214.html

This will be better than any trade deadline deal the flyers could make.  

Still a long way from now but I'll have visions of these lines in my head until then..

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Hayes - Voracek

Farabee - Patrick - Laughton

Raffl - Pitlick - NAK

Bunnaman, Frost, Lindblom (how you are missed)

I'd still like to see Frost in there but nobody is playing less than the level he can play right now.   It's not a bad thing to have such a caliber player not make it into the lineup.  

Someone change the title of this thread from "Patrick Is Injured" to "Patrick Almost Not Injured Any More!"

Edited by Digityman

• flyercanuck changed the title to "Patrick Almost Not Injured Any More!"