"Patrick Almost Not Injured Any More!"

RonJeremy

wow .....  this throws a wrench in the Flyers plans ......

as a healthcare professional, migraine disorder is one of the toughest medical conditions to treat as it varies from patient to patient...

I wish him good well wishes and a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

Why is he skating with a migraine?  Also, seems unusual that it's been problematic for weeks.  I thought migraines were episodic in nature and lasting a few hours to a few days.  Unless he's constantly getting barraged by headaches, which seems very abnormal to me.  Again, if they are that bad, he probably shouldn't even skate.  I get occular migraines, and mine aren't debilitating like for some others, but moving around a lot makes it worse.

Edited by vis

I guess the question is "chronic" or "episodic?"  If it's the former, I can't see him staying in a profession with physical contact and high-speed activity.   I am not a medico, but as others have said in this thread, it is tough to medicate.  My sister-in-law and a co-worker have this issue and find the drugs treatments mildly sedative.  I feel for the guy.

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Well, now we know it's something he can't control.   Let's hope he can work through this somehow because the roster is stronger with him in it.

I wonder if it's the same migraine disorder that Percy Harvin fought since his time with the Florida Gators and till he finally retired.

Praying for the kid.

I wonder if it's related to a concussion or concussion syndrome.

Harvin I think had these issues from playing WR and RB and maybe had issues related.

I don't think they were as thorough with that stuff like they are today.

Harvin also had a bad neck injury in college too.

Didn't Patrick suffer a neck injury in juniors?

Anyone know?

• Like 1

Some may not like this and I get it I do.

But I have a say to and I am getting anxious as hell about moving this kid as soon as I got a decent offer.

I get the gut feeling if not they will be soon be left just empty handed with this guy.

I hate it that he has this issue but it doesn't change about how I feel about it.

I hope I'm wrong I really do.

I hope I am just being nervous or paranoid.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#REPORTED!!!
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

One of the tweets above said there is a family history of migraines.  Pretty sure concussions don’t help but Not sure they are the origin (if the family history is accurate).

Yeah, Fletch said that was the tricky part in the diagnosis. At first they thought it may have been related to when Patrick got a puck in the head last year, but they also knew about family history. So that's why it took so long - they are now confident in their diagnosis.

FWIW, Nick Backstrom has a similar condition and has enjoyed a long, productive career.

• Like 1

We will just  "have to see" about this.  Could be he's growing into it...🙁 

Or he could grow out it to an extent. The young man is in late adolescence after all.

Also, everyone's experience with this syndrome seems to be different even the 4 people who've responded in this thread all have different examples. 

Obviously I'm hoping for the Backstrom outcome, however I really just hope he can lead a mostly pain free life.

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

We will just  "have to see" about this.  Could be he's growing into it...🙁 

Or he could grow out it to an extent. The young man is in late adolescence after all.

Also, everyone's experience with this syndrome seems to be different even the 4 people who've responded in this thread all have different examples. 

Obviously I'm hoping for the Backstrom outcome, however I really just hope he can lead a mostly pain free life.

Weed and mushrooms help, though I'm not sure that would be the team prescription lol.

AV: "NOLAN!! What the heck were you doing out there?"

Patrick: "Oh man, didn't you see that ugly hairy beast bearing down on me? I thought it was going to kill me."

AV: "For f*** sakes, Nolan, how many times do I have to tell you? That's just what Malkin looks like. Now man up and get back out there!"

TK: "Hey buddy, are you ok?"

Patrick: "I'm fine.. why?"

TK: "Well... you're talking to a tree. Outside. With a hockey stick. In your underwear. "

Edited by brelic
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, pilldoc said:

wow .....  this throws a wrench in the Flyers plans ......

as a healthcare professional, migraine disorder is one of the toughest medical conditions to treat as it varies from patient to patient...

I wish him good well wishes and a speedy recovery.

Migraines can be a very tough disability to diagnose, treat and manage, with variable outcomes. I echo Pilldoc's sentiment. Nolan, I wish you the best and a  successful recovery.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brelic said:

Weed and mushrooms help, though I'm not sure that would be the team prescription lol.

AV: "NOLAN!! What the heck were you doing out there?"

Patrick: "Oh man, didn't you see that ugly hairy beast bearing down on me? I thought it was going to kill me."

AV: "For f*** sakes, Nolan, how many times do I have to tell you? That's just what Malkin looks like. Now man up and get back out there!"

TK: "Hey buddy, are you ok?"

Patrick: "I'm fine.. why?"

TK: "Well... you're talking to a tree. Outside. With a hockey stick. In your underwear. "

LOL.... priceless!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, there are some vile people in this world. Do yourself a favour and don't read the twitter / message board comments. 

Some people just believe the world owes them something.

Now I understand why Patrick shutdown all his social media accounts *before* it was announced. Smart boy.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Well some encouraging news for the kid...

More important than hockey is his quality of life after hockey...i don't want to be selfish and i am hoping he does what's best for him.

How much do you want to bet that the team is going to go out and hire the best neurologists there are. That would be a game changer on so many levels. 

• Like 1

At this point...I think patience is the best course of action...for the team and fans alike...although I cant help wondering if Nolans 3rd C spot and or roster spot will be determined by either Hayes or Frosts ability to convert to wing. Frost is 10x more dynamic than Patrick...so if Frost does not work out on the wing the only course of action would be demoting Patrick to 4th line C or a trade...the latterbeing the most realistic.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:36 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

One of the tweets above said there is a family history of migraines.  Pretty sure concussions don’t help but Not sure they are the origin (if the family history is accurate).

Lindros without the skill or toughness.

• Like 1