Wild wildly overpay Spurgeon.

TonyOday

I don't know about "wildly" overpaying him....yes, it is a bit more in term and money than a guy who will be 31 when the contract starts should probably get, but I'd classify it as a bit of an overpay to keep a guy who still brings plenty of offensive/defensive skills and smarts to the team.

The bottom line, IMO, was whether the Wild wanted Jared Spurgeon around or not, because if they don't pay him the 7.5M, someone else certainly would have....and have gotten a solid #2 or #3 defenseman.

Term will likely bite Minnesota in the rear down the road, but apparently the team feels they will just deal with that when the time comes.
There are options....buyouts, trades with retention, or LTIR if Spurgeon suffers some serious injury to where he can't even go on the ice anymore.

Personally, I'm glad to have him back. He and Mat Dumba make a very fine offensive attack pair from the blue line...whether working together or on separate pairings.

Even though Spurge isn't what I would consider an "elite defender", he still does many things pretty well.
7.5M is the cost of doing business and keeping around a criminally underrated defenseman.

• Like 2

Well, the problem was that Fenton waited instead of taking care of business. The bar was set when the Rangers paid Jacob Trouba $8M/7 yrs. How do you go to Spurgeon, who is three times the defenseman Trouba is, and tell him that because you’re over 30 we are paying you less than Trouba?

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, the problem was that Fenton waited instead of taking care of business. The bar was set when the Rangers paid Jacob Trouba $8M/7 yrs. How do you go to Spurgeon, who is three times the defenseman Trouba is, and tell him that because you’re over 30 we are paying you less than Trouba?

Yes, sadly, while Fenton was busy trying to see how he could fit ex-Predators into the lineup, the time to extend Spurgeon SOONER came and went.....and yea, maybe the Wild could have signed him for a bit less if they had just gotten around to doing it well before other defensemen got fat contracts.

I suppose family planning to Disneyland or trips to Cabo take up lots of time though......something "minor" like locking in Spurgeon before prices got out of hand could have easily slipped through the cracks.... :ph34r:

WILD WILDLY OVERPAY SPURGEON!     IMO,  Not really.

Subban 9M

Ekman-Larsson 8.3M

Ekblad 8M

Letang 7.3M

Vlasic  7M

And all of the above signed their contracts in lower cap years

Add Trouba's 8M as an RFA,  IMO makes Spurgeon's 7.8M pretty close to fair market value.       

Now I do wish the term could have been a bit less.

Edited by 4Check
eliminate double word
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, 4Check said:

WILD WILDLY OVERPAY SPURGEON!     IMO,  Not really.

Subban 9M

Ekman-Larsson 8.3M

Ekblad 8M

Letang 7.3M

Vlasic  7M

And all of the above signed their contracts in lower cap years

Add Trouba's 8M as an RFA,  IMO makes Spurgeon's 7.8M pretty close to fair market value.       

Now I do wish the term could have been a bit less.

Check out CapFriendly.com. They compare Spurgeon’s deal to others, and it is not wildly overpaid. Like you said, it’s fair market value. Problem with the term is that Spurgeon wouldn’t come in at $7.5M cap hit. It would be worse. 

Edited by IllaZilla

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I suppose family planning to Disneyland or trips to Cabo take up lots of time though......something "minor" like locking in Spurgeon before prices got out of hand could have easily slipped through the cracks.... :ph34r:

Well, now Fenton has plenty of time to see how he can squeeze Martha’s Vineyard in between trips to Cabo and the Magic Kingdom...heck, he probably has time now to fit a cross Atlantic cruise to Sweden to see how his stud first round pick Filip Johansson is getting on...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, now Fenton has plenty of time to see how he can squeeze Martha’s Vineyard in between trips to Cabo and the Magic Kingdom...heck, he probably has time now to fit a cross Atlantic cruise to Sweden to see how his stud first round pick Filip Johansson is getting on...

Are you suggesting that Fenton is stalking Russo in his favorite tropical hangout?😎

On 9/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, IllaZilla said:

This is 100% hit the nail on the head.  We now had to overpay Spurgeon because Fenton decided to just table it and go on vacation instead of taking care of it and having something settled before the opening of free agency which inevitably would drive Spurgeon's asking price higher.  But hey, we only fired Fenton because he didn't get along with people.  (sigh)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

According to capfriendly, he has a NMC for the first 4 years of the deal, then a modified NTC for the remaining three.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jared-spurgeon

Another older player this team has to protect...I like Spurgeon.  But I really hate No Movement Clauses.  

So to review...

Ryan Suter

Zach Parise

Mikko Koivu

Mats Zuccarello

Jared Spurgeon 

All have NMC's...

Devan Dubnyk

Jason Zucker

Have Modified No Trade clauses...

The Wild love painting themselves into a corner.  The term to Spurgeon is at least 2 years too long IMO.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, he is locked in....so he can continue to be one of your favorites...

I'm a lazy writer these days. Crease summed it up nicely.

Me being pessimistic of this deal has nothing to do with Spurgie being favorite or not. In the grand scheme things a below average deal... for the Wild. Another nail in the coffin to be a bottom feeder for the next 5 years.

Jared is a nice guy and an above average D-man but paying him like this with a NMC for 4 years while all the slow, veterans with their comfortable NMC of their own hanging in the background... unreal.

Where is the unselfish Kevin Labanc of the Wild...

• Like 2

I also love Spurgeon's play a lot , but surprised for such a long(7 years)  term of his contract, which is should be 4 or maximum 5 years. Practically same deal as Zuccarello have got out of Fenton, now Jared have got out of Guerin. Are the players dictating their rules/wills? It seems the tendency as long as team is getting older then sooner or later the entire team would be NMC or NTC covered with the long terms.  IMO, fans feel older with that team every second of their life. I already do. So far I do see less and less room for the youngsters in the big club and/or their foggy future here. This way rebuild is just only a dream impossible to be real in a nearest future. Are any other NHL teams doing same way for about 30% of their players as we do or we are an alone exception?

Maybe the players are in a position to dictate the terms. Maybe they just say it goes their way or they won't sign, knowing the Wild won't find it easy to find any willing replacements. If it's like this we should just accept that the Wild really has no other alternative but rebuild. The only ones with an unquestionable will to play for the team are those players vying for a spot in the NHL.

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Maybe the players are in a position to dictate the terms. Maybe they just say it goes their way or they won't sign, knowing the Wild won't find it easy to find any willing replacements. If it's like this we should just accept that the Wild really has no other alternative but rebuild. The only ones with an unquestionable will to play for the team are those players vying for a spot in the NHL.

Or maybe the Wild give in way too easily.  I am with @Hockey-78 on this one.  We just keep making choices that will make the pain last longer and longer.  If Spurgeon wasn't going to take a deal without a NMC (even its not the full length of the 7-year contract) or at least take a deal that was 5 years max I think its counter productive.  So we'll probably be bad, but we'll be mediocre bad as opposed to bad-bad...and we'll get mediocre picks and thus continue to be a mediocre team.  If Spurgeon wouldn't take a deal without a NMC or not just 5 years (or less)...I'd trade him and not look back.  But instead we double down on mediocrity, yet again...

• Like 1

Fun with numbers...

Teams with the most NTC/NMC's

Team NTC/NMC Avg Age
VAN 8 26.9
ARI 8 27.9
STL 8 27.2
DAL 8 29
DET 8 29.1
TBL 8 27.6
WAS 7 27.8
FLA 7 26.3
VGK 7 28.2
BOS 7 28.3
SJS 7 28
NYI 7 28.1
MIN 7 28.8
PIT 6 27.3
NYR 6 25.1
CHI 6 27.4
ANA 6 27.8
CAL 5 26.5
WPG 5 26.4
MTL 4 27.3
NJD 4 26.2
LAK 4 27.8
OTT 4 27.6
TOR 3 26.5
CAR 3 25.6
BUF 3 26.6
PHI 3 26.2
EDM 3 27.5
CBJ 3 26.2
COL 3 26.2
NAS 1 27.9

There were a few teams that had players on LTIR or IR with NTC/NMC's but I didn't count them.

• Like 1

More fun with numbers

Teams with the lowest average age

Team NTC/NMC Avg Age
NYR 6 25.1
CAR 3 25.6
PHI 3 26.2
NJD 4 26.2
CBJ 3 26.2
COL 3 26.2
FLA 7 26.3
WPG 5 26.4
TOR 3 26.5
CAL 5 26.5
BUF 3 26.6
VAN 8 26.9
STL 8 27.2
PIT 6 27.3
MTL 4 27.3
CHI 6 27.4
EDM 3 27.5
TBL 8 27.6
OTT 4 27.6
WAS 7 27.8
LAK 4 27.8
ANA 6 27.8
ARI 8 27.9
NAS 1 27.9
SJS 7 28
NYI 7 28.1
VGK 7 28.2
BOS 7 28.3
MIN 7 28.8
DAL 8 29
DET 8 29.1

On average as teams get older, they tend to have more NTC/MNC's...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Those numbers tell a lot, and I agree on the Wild needing to be tougher on the players. NMC's are not something one can't avoid. Those teams with only one to three NMC/NTC's prove that without a doubt. 

The flip side of that is the last two Cup winners have 7 (WAS) and 8 (STL) and the last two Finalists have 7 (VGK, BOS). The two Cup winners before that have 6 (PIT), one Finalist has 7 (SJS) and the outlier is Nashville with 1.

I'm no fan of NMCs but there's no real correlation between not having them and "success."

The key thing - as always - is picking the right players to make that offer.  It's crazy for me to think that a guy with one 40+ season deserves not only a 7Y/$7.5M per offer but an iron clad 4 years of NMC and a NTC list after that. At age 30.

Seems to me the Wild have "locked up" a "core" that hasn't won a playoff round since 2015...

• Like 1

Yet, they're still far younger than the Wild.  The Wild have tied themselves up in NMC's to guys over 30 years old.  St. Louis will get older eventually...but the Wild are signing guys over 32 and handing out NMC's the way AOL used to give out demo discs in the mail.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1