Observation from tonight's game

RonJeremy

I really thought Morin would play alot of the  preseason games ...unfortunately for him , he isnt gonna improve his game and gain experience sitting in the press box and he cant be sent to the minors or we will lose him on waivers. Being the 7th or 8th dman is not a good spot for a young  player, usually a washed up vet is your 7th man. Morin would be better off playing every day in the minors. Unless someone gets hurt , i wouldnt be surprised to see him traded.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

At this point I feel comfortable saying he can't.

I like his determination and willingness to battle. In the end I think he's a very good AHL goalie but not NHL material.

Just see the last goal he gave up.

First he doesn't warn his guys the PP was about over...

...then yes it was a small break away but good lawd Clifton was soooo slow to move it to his back hand to lift and Lyon was over to cover it and in the back of the net....man Lyon you have to make that save....sleep back there i guess.

Sandstrom will be the starter in Allentown real quick this year.

Might be better off by mid season moving Lyon (if you can) and let Sandstrom and Ustimenko man the crease for the Phantoms.

• Like 1

Not a great game by any stretch last night. Flyers got outworked and outscored by the Providence Bruins. 

- Frost was very noticeable and had several grade A scoring chances. Made some great plays on offense and defense, and reminded me of Giroux the way he controls play in the offensive zone. 

- Farabee was ok. Seemed to be chasing the game at times. Had one nice scoring opportunity.

- Myers I thought looked great, which is apparently the opposite of the consensus I've been reading this morning. What I liked about Myers' game is that he was involved in everything. Sure, maybe he tried to do too much, but I like him exactly for that reason. He's not afraid to really get involved in the play in both zones, he got a bit nasty, made some big time hits, tried to make some sneaky plays in the offensive zone. So, he's still raw, and there is an excellent base to work with. Once he refines those tools and learns when to use them, watch out!

- The rest of the young guys looked good too. Rubtsov, Bunnaman, Twarynski in particular were noticeable at least a few times. 

- As for the vets, I thought Couturier had a really strong game. Man, can that dude shield the puck or what? I think he was our best forward tonight. Giroux looked fine, though not a fan of the RW spot on PP1. Voracek was Voracek.

- On defense, Provorov/Niskanen looked fine together, Braun saved a sure goal with some smart stickwork, Ghost was ok - but I sure hope Therrien finds a way to unlock Ghost's PP skills again because it was absent all of last year and it looks like the same pattern so far. 

- Team-wise, it's disappointing that the Flyers had to chase the game and Boston had a strong territorial edge - which really was their B squad. 

- Same issues from past years still there - slow starts to games and periods, ineffective PP, getting stuck in the defensive zone for long stretches. This is not surprising as there were a lot of changes in the offseason including an entirely new coaching staff. Charlie O said he asked Voracek yesterday about the changes and learning new systems - Voracek said it takes a while, usually about half a season before it moves from "thinking" to just "doing". That's how long it took under Hak before the Flyers started actually showing success on the ice.

Combine all the changes with starting overseas, then heading 9 time zones in the other direction with a quick pitstop in Philly and the recipe is there for another slow start. We'll see how AV and the staff prepare the team.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Same issues from past years still there - slow starts to games and periods, ineffective PP, getting stuck in the defensive zone for long stretches. This is not surprising as there were a lot of changes in the offseason including an entirely new coaching staff

So this sounds like i need to just hold off on purchasing my Gamecenter package to maybe mid season and saving $60.

I just don't have time to drop the bread and the to still spend half the year shiiting the bed....and trying to watch.

I'd rather them go through their issues/growing pains and then check in somewhere in 2020.

And that is only if guys stay healthy.....which Patrick has already challenged....oh well i sure hope for a better year and something to watch when football is over.

Bill Meltzer:

5) Vigneault also had straight-to-the-point assessments on what he's seen from some of the young players in camp as well as in Thursday's game.

On Joel Farabee: "Tonight, obviously he’s playing with Coots and G. It’s their first game, just like Niskanen and Provy. It takes players a little bit of time to get their timing and execution back. I played him with two pretty good players. I thought that line had some looks, but they didn’t finish. Like the rest of our team, like I just said, we’re in the process phase. Nobody expected it to be easy. It’s not going to be easy. There’s a lot of work that has to be done. We need to do it day-by-day."

On Morgan Frost: "He had a couple good looks. I definitely can see the skill level. He’s got some upside. It was his first game like a few of our other players. The pace and the opposition is a little different, but I thought he did some good things."

On German Rubtsov: "I thought he looked a little tired tonight. We put him in a tough spot. We’re trying to find out about our players. As far as his understanding of the game, I think it’s real good. There was no doubt that tonight, energy-wise, it was little bit more challenging for him. We’re going to give him off obviously the next night. He’s going to get another opportunity to play because I like what I have seen from him so far."

On Phil Myers: "Obviously there’s some upside there, but I think he might be trying to do a little too much. He needs to be strong in his one-on-one battles and keeping his puck decisions a high percentage. I’ve seen him play at the Worlds. I’ve seen him play better than he has tonight. He’s going to get another opportunity to play."

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Combine all the changes with starting overseas, then heading 9 time zones in the other direction

tenor.gif?itemid=5876817

Ghost was ok - but I sure hope Therrien finds a way to unlock Ghost's PP skills again because it was absent all of last year and it looks like the same pattern so far. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Barring a last minute change or injury this is supposed to be the lineup for Saturday's Ranger game....

23 Oskar Lindblom - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 44 Chris Stewart
76 Isaac Ratcliffe - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 72 David Kase
64 Maksim Sushko - 46 Cal O'Reilly - 78 Matthew Strome

6 Travis Sanheim - 59 Mark Friedman
8 Robert Hägg - 39 Nate Prosser
55 Sam Morin - 60 Reece Willcox

----------------------------------------------------------------
43 TJ Brennan - 71 David Drake

79 Carter Hart
32 Felix Sandström

---------------------------------------------------------------

35 J-F Berube

It would be nice to finally get AV a win.

Seems like Pascal Laberge is falling out of grace....

Edited by OccamsRazor

Flyers won 4-0 and there was a lot to like about the game overall. Rangers dressed a B squad and we dominated the way our A squad should. 

- Most noticeable players for the Flyers - Twarynski, Niskanen, Voracek, Hayes. 

- Really really impressed by Hayes. Looked just as good as his first game. If he plays like this, Flyers fans will be happy. He’s like a hybrid mix of Couturier and Primeau. 

- Twarynski was noticeable every shift and scored a goal on a great individual effort by poking the puck free and swatting in his own rebound. Can he make the team? Definitely. He’s also very fast. 

- Niskanen also really impressed. He had a very solid defensive game, making a lot of smart decisions. Keith Jones mentioned that it’s such a benefit to having a guy like that on your team for the young guys who get to see up close little details from veteran players. 

I’m really curious to see who makes this team in the end. Rubtsov had the early edge, then NAK had a really strong game, now Tawarynski is boldly stating his case. 

Competition is good. 

Flyers won 4-0 and there was a lot to like about the game overall. Rangers dressed a B squad and we dominated the way our A squad should. 

I now I over indulged on the moonshine last and am paying for it this morning but I thought it was 4-1?

And it wasn't a complete A squad.

But i think they certainly had more NHLers than the Rangers.

But it was a win none the less and a good one.

They need more wins to build the team confidence up.

The Bruins should be a good test again.

Hart's technique is so good. I have a hard time (not that I'm an expert by any means) finding any holes in his game.

This kid looks like the real deal.

I hope they can hang onto Hart and Sandstrom for awhile.

I’m really curious to see who makes this team in the end. Rubtsov had the early edge, then NAK had a really strong game, now Tawarynski is boldly stating his case. 

Competition is good. 

There's no reason all three can't make the big club. Twarynski can be used on a line with Laughton and Raffl. He bounces Pitlick. As for NAK and Rubtsov, they go to the third line. NAK is the right winger while Rubtsov fills the center role during Patrick's latest health issue. Works out perfectly fine. Once Patrick comes back, the Flyers can decide what to do with Rubtsov and NAK then. I mean, worst case Ontario is that Rubtsov goes to Lehigh Valley and NAK stays on the right side. Easy peasy nipple squeezy......

• Like 1

Heading to the game in Boston with the boy tomorrow night....looking forward to seeing the "big guns" on the ice. Should be pretty close to starting line-ups right!?.....Is Hart Starting/playing. HOPE SO!

Thought it was the last preseason game for some reason....

AND just found out Elliott is starting/getting FULL game according to AV....Dang-it! Really wanted to see Hart in person....

Ah!...It will still be fun!

Edited by MaineFlyFan
  • Like 3

Just got home....tired.

TK had wheels all night....going to the board HARD with Chara many occasions. SO GLAD we signed him....

Twerk-inski,.....that kid should get a look on the 3rd line!

Coots is such a good player...

Elliot was per usual.....made a few great saves early.....BUT.....

FUN GAME!

ZZZZzzzzzz.....:yawn:

• Like 1