Chabot signed - 8Y/$8M AAV

radoran

One 55-point season at the age of 22 and you get $64M over eight years, backloaded with a modified NTC on the last four years with salaries of $10M, $10M, $10M, $8M (quite the poison pill for trade negotiations)

I'm guessing this is to help Melnyk get his plane back - or something.

Chabot is a nice player, but I gotta feel OTT overpaid here... We'll see if it works out...

• Like 1

it's somehow the new reality of these days' contracts.

I'm not so shocked because he will be Ottawa's D-man #1 for the years to come and it's the price to pay for that. I'm pretty sure he will increase his stats as well.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

One 55-point season at the age of 22 and you get $64M over eight years, backloaded with a modified NTC on the last four years with salaries of $10M, $10M, $10M, $8M (quite the poison pill for trade negotiations)

I'm guessing this is to help Melnyk get his plane back - or something.

Chabot is a nice player, but I gotta feel OTT overpaid here... We'll see if it works out...

Makes Ivan's deal look a little more reasonable....and Chabot has never even scored more than 14 goals...at least Ivan has put up 17 once.

But hey it's Ottawa and i guess they were going along the lines of the Trouba deal here...just handing out the contract...SMFH.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Chabot's a good young defender. You do have to consider where he played, and who he played with when evaluating his point totals, as well. It really makes evaluating this deal tough, considering the trainwreck that organization has been over the past few years. Is that point total depresed due to the poor supporting cast? Or is it inflated since he's getting all of the choice minutes that he wouldn't get with a more talented roster?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Is that point total depresed due to the poor supporting cast? Or is it inflated since he's getting all of the choice minutes that he wouldn't get with a more talented roster?

Well, exactly. I'd just rather see more and longer term production before going all in. And along with that, he just finished his second NHL season. 25 in 63 as a rookie and then 55 in 70 in Y2.

I'm not down on the player, per se, just ambivalent about giving a guy $64M guaranteed after two years in the league. Also, a deal they didn't have to make rightnow as he is on Y3 of his ELC for 19-20.

I get it - it's around the same that Hedman got from TBL right before he broke out with a 70-point season. Of course, Hedman was 25 with three good ppg seasons - and two productive playoffs - under his belt when he got that contract. And after the 72 point season, he then put up 63 and 54...

To an extent, it might also be a reflection of what they need to do to keep players in the "trainwreck".

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Well, exactly. I'd just rather see more and longer term production before going all in. And along with that, he just finished his second NHL season. 25 in 63 as a rookie and then 55 in 70 in Y2.

I'm not down on the player, per se, just ambivalent about giving a guy $64M guaranteed after two years in the league. Also, a deal they didn't have to make rightnow as he is on Y3 of his ELC for 19-20.

I get it - it's around the same that Hedman got from TBL right before he broke out with a 70-point season. Of course, Hedman was 25 with three good ppg seasons - and two productive playoffs - under his belt when he got that contract. And after the 72 point season, he then put up 63 and 54...

To an extent, it might also be a reflection of what they need to do to keep players in the "trainwreck".

Smarter people than I who have watched Chabot since Juniors think he is worth that contract, so I don't know. I honestly don't think I've watched an Ottawa game since he broke into the league, so I have nothing to base it on.

• Like 1

I watched him a couple of times in the LHJMQ when he was pretty dominant in St-John, in a team that was dominant at that time. I wasn't expecting him to install himself so quick in the NHL but after the Karlsson trade people immediately saw him as a replacement.

I also attend some Sens games and he managed to succeed in that quick jump in the league. Also on the plus side, he's playing in a trainwreck, unfortunately, but NOT in Montréal, away from distractions and all the negative pressure that surrounds the Habs. Still needs to work on his defensive game but he has a good margin of progression. I think he can be a regular 60+ pts Defenseman.

• Like 1

To follow on, looking at their sophomore seasons, Chabot's offensive metrics are better than Provorov's, while his defensive metrics are worse, but some not by very much. I'd need someone smarter than me to parse it out. Like this:

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Funny how in 2022-23 when there may be a work stoppage he is only making 4 mill...hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'd need someone smarter than me to parse it out. Like this:

OK, the first one is a mean, red claw and a tiny, red foot attacking small blue amoebas.

The second is a drunk, blue ghost with a mask on.

What do I win? 👺

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Funny how in 2022-23 when there may be a work stoppage he is only making 4 mill...hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Also make him a more expensive "compliance" buyout should the situation warrant. The more I look at it, the more player-centric it really is. $7M a year up front, $4M on the line in a work stoppage, $46M on the back end ($30.62M buyout). That's almost $45 million lock down guaranteed.

Which may go a long way towards re-signing with a "trainwreck".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1