Canes trade Faulk to the Blues

yave1964

Wow I thought the Hurricanes would have gotten more.

Justin Faulk, literally for YEARS rumored to be going everywhere at one point or another was traded today to the St. louis Blues for hard hitting blueliner Joel Edmundson and a 5th round pick. That's it.

Right after, Faulk signed a 7 year deal worth 6.5 million per. 

Smart move for the Blues whose star blueliner Alex Pietrangelo is an UFA at years end, it helps hedge their bet in case Pietrangelo decides to move on at years end with a puck mover.

Great move for the Blues. Not sure what the Hurricanes were thinking, I mean, Edmundson isn't bad really but is a lumbering stay at home guy in a game that has left most of that type behind. I just have a difficult time believing the Hurricanes couldn't add anything else. Unless they are planning to use the saved salary on offer sheeting Connor or Laine I just dont see the point.

• Like 1

I agree. The Canes shot themselves in the leg. Very low value in return. Didn't want to pay $6.5 mil. a year for 7 years? No one does, really.

The only thing against Faulk I think of (well two):

- offensively not great numbers for a guy constantly on the PP

- needs to improve defensively but with the right pair in the Blues...

A good thread to return to in couple of months!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Great move for the Blues. Not sure what the Hurricanes were thinking, I mean, Edmundson isn't bad really but is a lumbering stay at home guy in a game that has left most of that type behind. I just have a difficult time believing the Hurricanes couldn't add anything else. Unless they are planning to use the saved salary on offer sheeting Connor or Laine I just dont see the point.

I don't know.

I've never been high on Faulk honestly, though I know you've been.

With Gardiner and Hamilton, they'll be fine on the offensive side and Faulk wasn't actually providing that to satisfaction anyway.

Edmundson provides the stay at home opposite that.  Plus, it frees up space that maybe they are about to use elsewhere.

I'd have preferred the pick be better, but it works given Faulk's salary, etc.

• Like 1

Even after this trade, Carolina is still bumping up against the cap.

They didn't "gain" any cap space to "use elsewhere" this season - they made their life a little easier once they drop a D and an F. Maybe they can slide in a JDubs mid-season with a prorated deal...

They do get some additional space on next year's cap.

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know.

I've never been high on Faulk honestly, though I know you've been.

With Gardiner and Hamilton, they'll be fine on the offensive side and Faulk wasn't actually providing that to satisfaction anyway.

Edmundson provides the stay at home opposite that.  Plus, it frees up space that maybe they are about to use elsewhere.

I'd have preferred the pick be better, but it works given Faulk's salary, etc.

For years Faulk has been rumored traded everywhere for everyone, I know you are not a fan, I have always felt he has been a misused offensive weapon from the back end not a star but a solid player. A fifth and a knuckledragger as the return seems overwhelmingly underwhelming. I felt after waitingso long to pull the trigger that they absolutely could have and should have done better.

• Like 1

I agree with @ruxpin here.

While Faulk obviously is the better offensive player, his defense DOES leave a lot to be desired, and I think, if you look at the Canes' defensive corps as a whole with Edmundson now in it, they have a nice balance of attack and defend.

Guys like Edmundson may not be as common as they used to be, but I think a championship caliber team STILL needs a good stay at home guy who is actually GOOD at it (like Edmundson), and not be a liability at the blue line (which Faulk was).

If Carolina had zero for offense from the blue line, I'd say this was a very questionable deal....but they have Hamilton, Gardiner, and Slavin.
That should take care of their attack needs from the defense.

Edmundson, Pesce, and van Riemsdyk can take care of the shut down duties.
Pesce and Hamilton, in fact, are nice two way options as well.

Couple that with the all out attack and raining shots on goal that Carolina forwards have a knack for, and I think getting Edmundson is a nice "balance" trade.
The pick COULD have, as Rux said, been higher...maybe a 3rd or so.

The Blues?
Well, they play a pretty solid brand of defense already, so they could spare not having Edmundson, and in gaining Faulk, even though his defense is questionable at best, I think they could live with it if he can bring his offense and shot blocking to the table for them.
Faulk actually rates pretty high in the hits department, but unlike Edmundson, it is usually because he screws up coverage and then has to scramble to "chase the play" and hit whatever he can to try and make up for it.

Actually, just looked at it closer, the CANES GIVE THE 5TH rounder not the other way around.

I get it, faulk isnt the best in the world defensively but d-men who can score 45-50 points dont grow on trees. Faulk and a fifth for Edmundson and a middling prospect seems a reach for me but I get the argument.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The Blues?
Well, they play a pretty solid brand of defense already, so they could spare not having Edmundson, and in gaining Faulk, even though his defense is questionable at best, I think they could live with it if he can bring his offense and shot blocking to the table for them.

They just got their new Shattenkirk.   Streaky offense, no defense.  (no, they're not actually similar other than offense, no defense).

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Actually, just looked at it closer, the CANES GIVE THE 5TH rounder not the other way around.

I get it, faulk isnt the best in the world defensively but d-men who can score 45-50 points dont grow on trees. Faulk and a fifth for Edmundson and a middling prospect seems a reach for me but I get the argument.

And I am not sure why Canes fans would care what a Wings/Jackets fan thinks about all this... :ph34r:
I suppose you are going to tell me next you are a fan of HOCKEY... :bigteeth:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And I am not sure why Canes fans would care what a Wings/Jackets fan thinks about all this... :ph34r:
I suppose you are going to tell me next you are a fan of HOCKEY... :bigteeth:

Quote of the year, lol!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

And cue the Pietrangelo to the Leafs talk on THN in 3...2....1....

I know you're mostly kidding, but let's pretend the rumours are out there. Unless it's a trade-and-sign with a big paycheque to moving STL, I just can't see them getting Pietrangelo. They spent that money on John Tavares already.

15 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I know you're mostly kidding, but let's pretend the rumours are out there. Unless it's a trade-and-sign with a big paycheque to moving STL, I just can't see them getting Pietrangelo. They spent that money on John Tavares already.

It is frustrating listening to the Hockey Network coverage at noon, every potential free agent and/or trade piece is looked at as if they are going to the Leafs. Unless of course they are Franco then they are seen as obviously, clearly Montreal bound. With Reilly and Barrie both staring down the barrel of free agency at seasons end look for Pietrangelo rumors to pop up within the first few hockey central at noon episodes of the season. Yeah I know they rearranged the deck chairs on the titanic by retiring a few of the relics and bringing in some fresh blood for this season but I wont believe in change until I see it. 

(oof. sound of me climbing off my soapbox and stubbing my toe).

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1