Flyers forward Nicolas Aube-Kubel clears waivers

LegionOfDoom

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2019/9/25/20883601/philadelphia-flyers-nicolas-aube-kubel-clears-waivers-nhl-news-phantoms

The winger will be sticking around after all.

Yesterday we got the latest round of roster cuts, and a shocker among them was Nicolas Aube-Kubel. NAK had performed well so far this preseason, and many expected well enough to earn himself a roster spot. That didn’t happen, but he has cleared waivers according to Charlie O’Connor of The Athletic.

We were also informed yesterday that there would be a good bit of roster activity in the opening portion of the season — so while Aube-Kubel finds himself in the AHL right now — I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him with the Flyers before November.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-roster-stock-watch-preseason-carsen-twarynski-philippe-myers-joel-farabee-nolan-patrick

When the Flyers submit their roster, don't fall in love with it. Right now, "It's just about getting ready for Prague," Chuck Fletcher said.

"We could even carry 20 or 21, we'll just have to see how the cap situation and how the math works out," the Flyers' general manager said on a conference call Tuesday. "I anticipate an awful lot of roster changes the first six weeks of the year. Our goal right now is to get a roster to play Chicago in Prague. When we get back, I'm sure there will be things we need to do as we move forward.

"There's not going to be any final roster, final cuts. There's going to be an ebb and flow of players between Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley for the early part of the season, depending on who we're playing, the health of our team, whether we need right shots or left shots, or wingers or centeremen."

Though I was initially bothered he got cut from roster. I understand the coaching staff want to know what they have in these remaining young players.

Sending N.AK down now raised his chances of not getting claimed due to other teams having to cut down their own rosters and trying to extend looks at some of their own players. They can't spend extra time keeping a claimed prospect for another 30 days when they're trying to field their own final team. The coaching staff must of learned from loosing Martel, when they sent him down at the last minute for teams to pick up a player, after their squad was set..

At least he's getting some media praise for his work in the preseason.

I think he will be back up before Thanksgiving in the bottom 6 somewhere i have been very impressed with his game with and away from the puck in the game i seen of him he is just what the bottom group needs. I think this forward group is very skilled but unfortunately very soft.

He will be what the lack soon....a good possession (can't score without the puck and someone has to get it)

guy who isn't afraid to go in the corners to retrieve the puck and will finish his checks. Sadly injuries always happen in this game.

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like by Thanksgiving.  I can't help but think this team is going to be good.

They won't be good until after Thanksgiving, imo.  Think they need time to acclimated to AV and vice versa.

All the excuses are in place for a slow start - but something tells me there's a different energy around the team this year that if channeled the right way can help mitigate some of those issues.

It all starts with AV who clearly wants to win and isn't taking sh%t from anyone.

Be a f**king Flyer!

• Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 10:57 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I think he will be back up before Thanksgiving in the bottom 6 somewhere i have been very impressed with his game with and away from the puck in the game i seen of him he is just what the bottom group needs. I think this forward group is very skilled but unfortunately very soft.

He will be what the lack soon....a good possession (can't score without the puck and someone has to get it)

guy who isn't afraid to go in the corners to retrieve the puck and will finish his checks. Sadly injuries always happen in this game.

I think the hard part will be finding the right balance between grit/hard to play against and scoring. The Flyers need the bottom six to contribute offensively but to much skill and not enough grit make the team to easy to play against. Bottom 6 need to score but win the puck possession game...tells me lean towards speed and smarts.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

The Flyers need the bottom six to contribute offensively but to much skill and not enough grit make the team to easy to play against.

This is where Hayes will come in handy.

After watching him this preseason I think he will be a very good addition to the top 6.

I think he and Farabee will also help take the burden off of Coots on the PK as well.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I find it amazing this guy wasnt claimed considering all the upside he has. In fact, he has so much upside,  he didnt even make the roster

Thats just weird! 🤔

You're hatred for NAK is surpassed only by your hatred of old ladies on escalators.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

It's interesting that the writers that watch the AHL a few years come away with believing over the body of work of two years, they come away with N.AK being the more consistent proven player during the season than spurts of preseason mojo that seems to enthrall the coaching staff of the Flyers, after making that comment saying it was the best they've seen N.AK play in that one game. When he has had better games in the AHL. I would of rather have N.AK play in Pitlicks spot, but they payed for his plane ticket so there's that.