Wild seeking Top 6 Center

4Check

The Minnesota Wild are looking for a top-six center according to Darren Dreger of TSN, who explained what new GM Bill Guerin is looking for on the latest edition of Insider Trading:

"He’s willing to be aggressive but he’s also a realist. He wants a top center, or a second-line center. How do you acquire that piece? The Minnesota Wild have an abundance of wingers, they have a good draft pile in terms of prospects and they also have a good picks list. So he’s willing to use all of that as bait, but again, he’s also careful knowing that the market just doesn’t throw a player like that out there."

3 minutes ago, 4Check said:

The Minnesota Wild are looking for a top-six center according to Darren Dreger of TSN, who explained what new GM Bill Guerin is looking for on the latest edition of Insider Trading:

"He’s willing to be aggressive but he’s also a realist. He wants a top center, or a second-line center. How do you acquire that piece? The Minnesota Wild have an abundance of wingers, they have a good draft pile in terms of prospects and they also have a good picks list. So he’s willing to use all of that as bait, but again, he’s also careful knowing that the market just doesn’t throw a player like that out there."

How about Zucker for Patrick, and we'll even throw in a third rounder?

If true this means: 1) Victor Rask is not a $4 million center.

2) Erickson Ek has topped out as a No. 3 center.

3) Parise doesn't want to play center. But could.

4) Koivu may never be 100 % again

5) Iowa can't develop centers but Nico Sturm going there anyway.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Top six as in "Top Six in the NHL" or "Top Six players on the Wild"?

13 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

To the first 3 points...duh.  Second, its not Iowa's fault for not developing centers.  Iowa hasn't been able to keep many quality Wild prospects there for very long before they're called up to play in a bottom 6 role with the big club.  Sturm should be with the big club, but we'll probably try to soldier on with Rask in that role.  

Good luck to Guerin to try to find a Top 6 center.  I don't think it will be easy and I'm afraid how steep the price will be at this point in the season or what junk we'll be offered that will be sold to us as 'top 6 calibre' but are not.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

They must not think a whole lot of Luke Kunin then, either...

1 minute ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

IMO Top-6 center, like a player able to play center in the first 6 lines of the roster.

That's setting the bar really low, don't you think... 😉

Seriously, sounds like Guerin is up to the task. Doesn't sound like a "we-only-need-a-few-tweaks" clown. And also hinting that Koivu's time is up will he be fit or not.

But yeah, who does he think of getting at this time of year...and with what price. Zucker for Patrick sounds alright. What's the catch other than Patrick is injured?

8 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Zajac and a defenseman for Zucker and a pick......just me spitballin' 

Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Zajac and a defenseman for Zucker and a pick......just me spitballin' 

Zajac is way too young and inexperienced. Zucker for a conditional 7th rounder and sign Chara as a UFA with a 5-yr/$7.5M per with a MNC/NTC contract.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Zajac is way too young and inexperienced. Zucker for a conditional 7th rounder and sign Chara as a UFA with a 5-yr/$7.5M per with a MNC/NTC contract.

Travis Zajac is 34       Chara is 42.

7 hours ago, 4Check said:

Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.

Zucker for Travis Zajac would be a rancid return and not even fulfill the objective of acquiring a center with the quality to play in our Top 6.  Or were you thinking Zacha, who I am not sold on his Top 6 potential either.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4Check said:

The only way the Wild get a 26 year old 1C is to offer sheet someone. Or trade for a holdout. Because they generally draft in the 15-20 range, and they haven’t had any luck finding a 1C there.

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

The only way the Wild get a 26 year old 1C is to offer sheet someone. Or trade for a holdout. Because they generally draft in the 15-20 range, and they haven’t had any luck finding a 1C there.

I agree on the difficulty of  getting a 1C.   But Dreger was referring to a 1C or 2C.   I don't think it's inconceivable that a 2C (or potential 2C) could become available.    

27 minutes ago, 4Check said:

I agree on the difficulty of  getting a 1C.   But Dreger was referring to a 1C or 2C.   I don't think it's inconceivable that a 2C (or potential 2C) could become available.    

I guess I'd like to see them give Kunin a real shot (like more than a couple of games) at the 2C rather than keep bringing in older players. They made such a big damn deal about Kunin when they drafted him (Captain America II), let's see what he can do. They cant keep shoving these kids to the third and fourth lines and expect to improve the team...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, IllaZilla said:

I guess I'd like to see them give Kunin a real shot (like more than a couple of games) at the 2C rather than keep bringing in older players. They made such a big damn deal about Kunin when they drafted him (Captain America II), let's see what he can do. They cant keep shoving these kids to the third and fourth lines and expect to improve the team...

I think kunin would get a better look as a 2C if he could figure out how to win more than 47% of his faceoffs.

Until someone, anyone, can win faceoffs reliably we are stuck with koivu.

• Good Post 2

On 9/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, 4Check said:

Its interesting how Kunin was all over the ice at the World Championships and the AHL playoffs but he's been kind of a non-factor for the Wild.  And as long as #9 and #12 is here...they're going to be relegated to the bottom 6.