Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

4Check

Wild seeking Top 6 Center

Recommended Posts

The Minnesota Wild are looking for a top-six center according to Darren Dreger of TSN, who explained what new GM 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 is looking for on the 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
:

"He’s willing to be aggressive but he’s also a realist. He wants a top center, or a second-line center. How do you acquire that piece? The Minnesota Wild have an abundance of wingers, they have a good draft pile in terms of prospects and they also have a good picks list. So he’s willing to use all of that as bait, but again, he’s also careful knowing that the market just doesn’t throw a player like that out there."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 4Check said:

The Minnesota Wild are looking for a top-six center according to Darren Dreger of TSN, who explained what new GM 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 is looking for on the 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
:

"He’s willing to be aggressive but he’s also a realist. He wants a top center, or a second-line center. How do you acquire that piece? The Minnesota Wild have an abundance of wingers, they have a good draft pile in terms of prospects and they also have a good picks list. So he’s willing to use all of that as bait, but again, he’s also careful knowing that the market just doesn’t throw a player like that out there."

How about Zucker for Patrick, and we'll even throw in a third rounder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If true this means: 1) Victor Rask is not a $4 million center.

2) Erickson Ek has topped out as a No. 3 center.

3) Parise doesn't want to play center. But could.

4) Koivu may never be 100 % again

5) Iowa can't develop centers but Nico Sturm going there anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 4Check said:

The Minnesota Wild are looking for a top-six center according to Darren Dreger of TSN, who explained what new GM 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 is looking for on the 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
:

"He’s willing to be aggressive but he’s also a realist. He wants a top center, or a second-line center. How do you acquire that piece? The Minnesota Wild have an abundance of wingers, they have a good draft pile in terms of prospects and they also have a good picks list. So he’s willing to use all of that as bait, but again, he’s also careful knowing that the market just doesn’t throw a player like that out there."

 

Top six as in "Top Six in the NHL" or "Top Six players on the Wild"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

If true this means: 1) Victor Rask is not a $4 million center.

2) Erickson Ek has topped out as a No. 3 center.

3) Parise doesn't want to play center. But could.

4) Koivu may never be 100 % again

5) Iowa can't develop centers but Nico Sturm going there anyway.

 

To the first 3 points...duh.  Second, its not Iowa's fault for not developing centers.  Iowa hasn't been able to keep many quality Wild prospects there for very long before they're called up to play in a bottom 6 role with the big club.  Sturm should be with the big club, but we'll probably try to soldier on with Rask in that role.  

 

Good luck to Guerin to try to find a Top 6 center.  I don't think it will be easy and I'm afraid how steep the price will be at this point in the season or what junk we'll be offered that will be sold to us as 'top 6 calibre' but are not.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

If true this means: 1) Victor Rask is not a $4 million center.

2) Erickson Ek has topped out as a No. 3 center.

3) Parise doesn't want to play center. But could.

4) Koivu may never be 100 % again

5) Iowa can't develop centers but Nico Sturm going there anyway.

 

They must not think a whole lot of Luke Kunin then, either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

 

Top six as in "Top Six in the NHL" or "Top Six players on the Wild"?

 

IMO Top-6 center, like a player able to play center in the first 6 lines of the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

 

IMO Top-6 center, like a player able to play center in the first 6 lines of the roster.

That's setting the bar really low, don't you think... 😉

 

Seriously, sounds like Guerin is up to the task. Doesn't sound like a "we-only-need-a-few-tweaks" clown. And also hinting that Koivu's time is up will he be fit or not.

 

But yeah, who does he think of getting at this time of year...and with what price. Zucker for Patrick sounds alright. What's the catch other than Patrick is injured?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Zajac and a defenseman for Zucker and a pick......just me spitballin' 

Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Zajac and a defenseman for Zucker and a pick......just me spitballin' 

 

Zajac is way too young and inexperienced. Zucker for a conditional 7th rounder and sign Chara as a UFA with a 5-yr/$7.5M per with a MNC/NTC contract.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

 

Zajac is way too young and inexperienced. Zucker for a conditional 7th rounder and sign Chara as a UFA with a 5-yr/$7.5M per with a MNC/NTC contract.

Travis Zajac is 34       Chara is 42.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 4Check said:

Travis Zajac is 34       Chara is 42.

 

I believe the young lady was being sarcastic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

 

I believe the young lady was being sarcastic...

I hope so!  😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 4Check said:

Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.

 

Zucker for Travis Zajac would be a rancid return and not even fulfill the objective of acquiring a center with the quality to play in our Top 6.  Or were you thinking Zacha, who I am not sold on his Top 6 potential either.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 4Check said:

Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.

 

The only way the Wild get a 26 year old 1C is to offer sheet someone. Or trade for a holdout. Because they generally draft in the 15-20 range, and they haven’t had any luck finding a 1C there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

 

The only way the Wild get a 26 year old 1C is to offer sheet someone. Or trade for a holdout. Because they generally draft in the 15-20 range, and they haven’t had any luck finding a 1C there.

I agree on the difficulty of  getting a 1C.   But Dreger was referring to a 1C or 2C.   I don't think it's inconceivable that a 2C (or potential 2C) could become available.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 4Check said:

I agree on the difficulty of  getting a 1C.   But Dreger was referring to a 1C or 2C.   I don't think it's inconceivable that a 2C (or potential 2C) could become available.    

 

I guess I'd like to see them give Kunin a real shot (like more than a couple of games) at the 2C rather than keep bringing in older players. They made such a big damn deal about Kunin when they drafted him (Captain America II), let's see what he can do. They cant keep shoving these kids to the third and fourth lines and expect to improve the team...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Kunin is getting his shot now it seems.  Sturm and Mayhew back to Iowa and Stafford told thanks, but not this time.  

 

I am fine with giving him a long audition, but I'd still be looking for a Top 6 center to begin to supplant our two 34+ year old ones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, 4Check said:

I hope so!  😃

There is another Winnipeg Zajac in the league but he is a young defenseman...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, IllaZilla said:

 

I guess I'd like to see them give Kunin a real shot (like more than a couple of games) at the 2C rather than keep bringing in older players. They made such a big damn deal about Kunin when they drafted him (Captain America II), let's see what he can do. They cant keep shoving these kids to the third and fourth lines and expect to improve the team...

I think kunin would get a better look as a 2C if he could figure out how to win more than 47% of his faceoffs.

Until someone, anyone, can win faceoffs reliably we are stuck with koivu.

  • Good Post 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, 4Check said:

Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.

 

Its interesting how Kunin was all over the ice at the World Championships and the AHL playoffs but he's been kind of a non-factor for the Wild.  And as long as #9 and #12 is here...they're going to be relegated to the bottom 6.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on the faceoffs thing. He really needs to improve there. Against the Kings their winning goal was a direct consequence of him losing the draw and then losing position on Carter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      Well, if you want to add to your already abundant collection of mid 30's age centers.  Personally, I think the Wild need to get younger.  If it was my druthers, they wouldn't add a center older than 26, younger if possible.
    • 2
      Post
      I think kunin would get a better look as a 2C if he could figure out how to win more than 47% of his faceoffs. Until someone, anyone, can win faceoffs reliably we are stuck with koivu.
    • 2
      Post
      Don Cherry says Finlanders are ******* on the faceoff and should be required to wear the poppy on their sweater when playing in Canada.........OK OK just making a little joke there. I am American whose grandparents emigrated to the Red River Valley from Ontario. If Trump sees this I may be deported to Canada......
    • 1
      Post
      If true this means: 1) Victor Rask is not a $4 million center. 2) Erickson Ek has topped out as a No. 3 center. 3) Parise doesn't want to play center. But could. 4) Koivu may never be 100 % again 5) Iowa can't develop centers but Nico Sturm going there anyway.
    • 1
      Post
      To the first 3 points...duh.  Second, its not Iowa's fault for not developing centers.  Iowa hasn't been able to keep many quality Wild prospects there for very long before they're called up to play in a bottom 6 role with the big club.  Sturm should be with the big club, but we'll probably try to soldier on with Rask in that role.     Good luck to Guerin to try to find a Top 6 center.  I don't think it will be easy and I'm afraid how steep the price will be at this point in the season
    • 1
      Post
      We seem to have watched different games... slow the game down?! 🤨   He carried the puck and was the first to enter the zone. If he didn't play with Koivu, he was almost always the first forward in his line to help out the D on counterattacks. Not some gd Vanek or Heatley who were only fast to enter the offensive blue line.   Granlund's 69 points in 2016-17 was a rare feat. Staal had 76 points a year later and Koivu had 71 points in 2009-2010, Gaborik 83 way back in 2007-2008,

Game Room 1

Please enter your display name

×
×
  • Create New...