You are a guest user Click to join the site
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
Brewin Flames

Calgary Flames 2019/20 Season Chatter

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

I will post game recaps after each game and discuss the flames season.

Posted (edited)

ame

Rantanen scores twice, Avalanche beat Flames 5-3

Associated Press
Updated: 5 hours ago

Game #1

Flames 3 Avs 5

DENVER -- 

Hidden Content

missed training camp and the preseason, yet showed he hasn't missed a beat after a summer of uncertainty.

Rantanen had two goals less than a week after agreeing to a contract with Colorado, 

Hidden Content

scored twice in his debut and the Avalanche beat the 

Hidden Content

5-3 on Thursday night.

It capped a wild few days and nearly 5,000 miles of travel for the 22-year-old Rantanen.

"Everything happened really quick. I got a call last Saturday and now I'm here," Rantanen said. "It's already been four or five days and played the first game, too. I felt surprisingly good; it's probably going to take a couple of games to get fresh legs."

Rantanen was a restricted free agent heading into the summer and he remained in his native Finland while contract negations dragged on through training camp.

The parties finally agreed to a six-year, $55.5 million deal on Saturday night and Rantanen joined the team on Sunday, four days before the start of the season.

He had career highs in goals (31) and assists (56) in 74 games last season playing mostly with 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

on Colorado's top line. He didn't get to work with the team until Monday, but was sharp in more than 18 minutes of ice time against the Flames.

"As soon as I watched him practice for two days, I knew he was going to pick up where he left off," Colorado coach Jared Bednar said. "He came in and practiced and it looked easy for him."

Rantanen scored a go-ahead goal in the first period and added the eventual decisive score on the power play late in the second period, minutes after 

Hidden Content

gave Colorado a 3-2 lead.

Hidden Content

scored 16 seconds after Rantanen's second goal but the Flames couldn't overcome early penalties. Calgary had three in the first period and Colorado had two goals on six power-play chances overall.

"They got a lot of momentum and their top players got a lot of touches early," Giordano said of penalties. "It carried on for a while. I thought after the midway point of the game we did a better job. When we were 5-on-5 we were very good."

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

each had a goal and an assist for Calgary. 

Hidden Content

had 26 saves for the Flames, who started the season the same way last season ended -- with a loss.

The Avalanche defeated Calgary in the first round of last season's playoffs, beating the Western Conference's top seed in five games.

Donskoi got Colorado off to a quick start with a power-play goal 5:59 in, and the teams traded goals the rest of the period.

Gaudreau's goal 1:50 into the second period tied it and Donskoi scored into an empty net with 1:09 left in the third. Donskoi also helped the Flames when Monahan's shot deflected off of his stick and in for Calgary's first goal.

He made up for it with a strong debut after signing with the Avalanche on July 1.

"It felt amazing. I've been waiting for this moment all summer," Donskoi said. "There were a lot of emotions."

Colorado goalie 

Hidden Content

had 26 saves.

Edited by Brewin Flames

Game # 2

Flames Hockey Forum 3 Canucks Hockey Forum 0

CALGARY, Alberta -- Calgary's top line produced and goaltender 

Hidden Content

got to work on proving he's an NHL starter.

Rittich made 34 saves, including 18 in the third period, as Calgary beat the 

Hidden Content

3-0 Saturday night.

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

scored for Calgary.

Hidden Content

added an empty net goal and assisted on both of his linemates' goals for his second multi-point game to open this season.

"It starts in net. I thought Ritter was real solid," Flames head coach Bill Peters said. "Johnny had a good night too right? The Monahan line was real good.

"They're out there at the end of the game in that five versus six and they executed. They're growing up right in front of our eyes. They know what they have to do. They're a very good line and we have a lot of confidence in them."

Hidden Content

stopped 27 of 29 shots in the loss for Vancouver.

Calgary improved to 8-8-3 in home-openers since the turn of the century.

The Flames outshot the Canucks 14-5 in the second period and led 2-0 heading into the third.

Vancouver failed to convert a pair of third-period power plays. The first included 61 seconds of 5-on-3, but Rittich stopped three shots in that span and made 18 saves in the period.

Monahan collected his second goal in as many games, scoring from the slot at 1:10 of the second on a feed from Gaudreau behind the goal-line.

Lindholm opened the scoring at 13:50 of the first.

Myers misplayed a cross-ice pass in Calgary's zone onto the stick of Lindholm, who whipped the puck under Markstrom's arm.

"I thought we had some good looks," Canucks head coach 

Hidden Content

said. "Still got to get results."

Both teams opened their seasons with road losses Thursday.

Doughty's OT winner gives Kings 4-3 win over Flames

Game # 3

Flames Hockey Forum 3 Kings Hockey Forum 4 OT

Drew Doughty is wide open on the one-timer for the game-winning goal in the Kings' 4-3 victory vs. the Flames.

By
Associated Press
Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

lived up to the hype around their rivalry.

Doughty scored a power-play goal 50 seconds into overtime to give the 

Hidden Content

a 4-3 victory over the 

Hidden Content

on Tuesday night.

Tkachuk scored twice, including the tying goal with 64 seconds left in regulation, and had an assist for Calgary.

The tension between Doughty and Tkachuk dates back to the latter elbowing the former in the face in 2017 during Tkachuk's rookie season.

The Flames winger and the Kings defenseman have taken the odd verbal jab at each other off ice in the media. The men bring out the competitor in the other on the ice.

Doughty said before Tuesday's game: "I think we both know who the better player is."

He was more conciliatory in victory and downplayed the friction between the two players.

"You guys make a bigger deal of it than we do," Doughty told reporters. "He's just trying to play a good game.

"As much as he doesn't want to say it, he knows I'm a really good player and he's trying to get me off my game. But really, he's just feeding into my game.

"We're both good players. We just want to win games. That's it."

Said Tkachuk: "I'm excited for round two in two weeks in L.A."

The Kings picked up their first win after falling 6-5 in their season opener to the host 

Hidden Content

on Saturday.

Hidden Content

had a goal and an assist, with 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

also scoring for Los Angeles (1-1-0). 

Hidden Content

made 26 saves.

Hidden Content

also scored for Calgary (1-1-1). 

Hidden Content

turned away 36 shots.

With Rittich pulled for an extra attacker, Tkachuk's second goal of the game pulled the Flames even with 64 seconds remaining. The winger tipped the puck in the air on a rebound and batted it by Campbell.

The Kings took a man advantage into overtime with Calgary's 

Hidden Content

serving a tripping minor.

Calgary trailed 3-0 midway through the second period when Tkachuk and Backlund scored within a three-minute span.

Campbell squeezed his pads too late on Hanifin's backhand at 13:33 to pull the hosts within a goal.

Tkachuk scored off a broken play in the offensive zone, beating Campbell low stick side at 10:51 of the second period.

Kovalchuk batted a rebound in the air by Rittich at 3:46 of the second period. The Kings' third goal was allowed to stand upon review.

Flames forward 

Hidden Content

and Kings defenseman 

Hidden Content

fought after Kovalchuk's goal.

The flat-footed Flames were outshot 20-3 in the opening period and failed to register a shot on net during a first-period power play.

Walker's sharp-angled wrister from the boards fooled Rittich at 17:26.

A scramble for a rebound from Doughty's shot squirted out to Toffoli, who beat Rittich glove side at 2:53.

Fans in the Saddledome booed Doughty whenever he had the puck.

The Flames gave their fans little to cheer about for half a game until Tkachuk's goal sparked the home club.

"The personal rivalry between the two . . . the intensity that both of them bring, when you buy a ticket you're going to watch those two closely," Kings coach Todd McLellan said.

"Nobody went home disappointed I'm sure with Tkachuk's or Doughty's performances tonight."

Gaudreau scores winner in shootout, Flames beat Stars 3-2

Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau light the lamp for Calgary in its shootout victory against Dallas.

By
Associated Press

Game # 4

Flames Hockey Forum 3 Stars Hockey Forum 2 SO

DALLAS -- 

Hidden Content

didn't watch the beginning of a shootout, though he had the best view in the house for the end.

Gaudreau put a backhand past Dallas goalie 

Hidden Content

to give the 

Hidden Content

a 3-2 victory over the Stars on Thursday night.

Hidden Content

was the only one of three Stars who beat Calgary goalie 

Hidden Content

in the shootout. It was tied 1-1, with 

Hidden Content

beating Bishop before Gaudreau won the game on the last attempt in the first round that he didn't see the start of.

"I was pretty tired, so I didn't really want to watch," Gaudreau said.

Rittich had 34 saves, including the stop of a penalty shot awarded to 

Hidden Content

with 21 seconds remaining in overtime.

"(Rittich) is great on the (penalty kill), shootouts and penalty shots," Gaudreau said. "I had a lot of confidence in him there."

He might have had more confidence in Rittich than the goalie had in himself.

"Have you seen my record (in the shootout)?" Rittich asked rhetorically. "Don't even look at it. I'm glad I got my first win in the shootout."

The Flames erased a 2-0 deficit in the third period on goals by 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

Dallas newcomers 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

teamed up for a second-period goal. Captain 

Hidden Content

, the longest-tenured Star, scored Dallas' first power-play goal of the season nine seconds into the third period.

Before the penalty shot, Stars coach 

Hidden Content

called a timeout.

"He was exhausted," Montgomery said of Radulov.

Then Rittich stopped Radulov's attempt.

"The big save on the penalty shot was huge," Calgary coach Bill Peters said.

Benn said the overtime, penalty shot and shootout shouldn't have happened. He lost control of the puck, leading to a 2-on-1 and 

Hidden Content

's pass back to Hanifin for the tying goal.

"The deciding play was my turnover in the third," Benn said. "It was a stupid play and it cost us."

Bishop made 27 saves.

Hidden Content

set up the Stars' first goal by sending the puck across the ice to Hanley low in the left faceoff circle. He sent the puck to the slot, where L'Esperance redirected it past Rittich at 16:39.

L'Esperance and Hanley began the season with Texas of the AHL. L'Esperance's goal was his third in the NHL and first of the season. Hanley's seventh career assist was his first NHL point since April 2, 2016, with Montreal.

Hanley was playing in his first game for Dallas this season; L'Esperance scored in his second game back with the Stars.

Calgary had lost its previous six games to Dallas since December 2016.

The Flames improved to 2-1-1; Dallas is 1-3-1, with each game decided by a one-goal margin.

Dallas won the third-period faceoff. Benn skated down the slot and took a pass in front to beat Rittich for his first goal of the season. Dallas had started the season 0 for 13 on the power play.

Calgary scored 1:29 later on its first power play on Lindholm's shot from just inside the blue line. Hanifin tied the game at 2 at 5:32, trailing a 2-on-1 rush and taking a pass back in the slot from Mikael Backlund.

Golden Knights snap two-game skid, top Flames 6-2

Game  # 5

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The Golden Knights score three goals in the second period as they beat the Flames 6-2.

By
Associated Press
Updated: 4 hours ago

LAS VEGAS -- The 

Hidden Content

came into the season with one of the best top-six forward units in the NHL. In their latest win, they proved they have the potential to be a threat with all four lines.

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

each had a goal and an assist and 

Hidden Content

made 33 saves to lead the Golden Knights past the 

Hidden Content

6-2 Saturday night.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

and rookie 

Hidden Content

also scored to help Vegas remain undefeated at home against the Flames.

All three forwards on the fourth line scored and 12 players had at least one point.

"When you get your team going like we had tonight, all four lines contributed, that's a big part ... you're excited when you see that," said Vegas coach Gerard Gallant, who is now one win shy of his 250th.

"Not too often our so-called fourth line are gonna get three goals in a game, but they went out there, they did their jobs, they kept the game simple, they worked really hard ... they did their job and they got rewarded for it."

Since the Golden Knights joined the NHL in 2017, Calgary is winless in five visits to T-Mobile Arena while being outscored 21-6.

Fleury, who went 2-0-0 with a 0.50 goals-against average and a .984 save percentage last season against the Flames, improved to 13-4-1 in his career against Calgary.

With regular backup 

Hidden Content

nursing an undisclosed lower-body injury, Fleury figures to have a heavy workload ahead of him with Vegas playing six games over the next 10 days. Vegas recalled goaltender 

Hidden Content

from Chicago of the AHL earlier Saturday.

The Golden Knights will endure their first back-to-back situation, as they travel to play in Los Angeles on Sunday, but Gallant said he would confer with goalie coach Dave Prior before deciding on his starting netminder against the Kings.

"We're looking forward to it, it's gonna be a tough game," Gallant said. "L.A. had a real good game today ... they'll be on a high tomorrow. We'll go in there tonight, no morning skate tomorrow and get ready for a game tomorrow night and it should be a real good hockey game. They're playing real well this year, doing a real good job."

Vegas found its offense at the right time, with back-to-back Pacific Division opponents on deck, after losing to Boston on Tuesday and at Arizona on Thursday.

"A little scrambly for us the last couple of games, so we had to just get back to playing simple hockey," Reaves said. "But being in position for each other and getting in on the puck and reloading and getting out of piles properly is something that we talked about and it definitely showed today."

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

scored for Calgary. 

Hidden Content

stopped 24 shots in his fifth straight start, and dropped to 2-4 with a 3.67 goals against average in six starts against Vegas.

Calgary coach Bill Peters wasn't pleased with his team's effort, as it was thoroughly outplayed after Andersson and Gaudreau gave the Flames a 2-1 lead early in the second period.

"We didn't play hard enough," Peters said. "Until we start to play hard, and play hard for 60 minutes, it's going to be up in the air all night long or you're going to get blown out. ... We're disappointed the way we've played."

Meanwhile, Vegas has benefited from a well-balanced offense, including a fourth line that has eight points (six goals, two assists) in five games.

"We're trying to be the best fourth line in the league," Carrier said. "Shift after shift, whatever the team needs -- a big hit, tonight it was a goal, but it could be anything out there -- we're just trying to be the best fourth line out there."

Hertl has goal and assist as Sharks top Flames 3-1

Hertl scores in Sharks' win over Flames

Tomas Hertl nets a shorthanded goal that all but seals the game for the Sharks against the Flames.

By
Associated Press
Updated: 4 hours ago

Game # 6  Flames Hockey Forum 1  Sharks Hockey Forum 3

SAN JOSE,Calif. -- Less than a week after rejoining his former team, 

Hidden Content

is already making a big impact.

Hidden Content

had a goal and an assist to help the 

Hidden Content

beat the 

Hidden Content

3-1 on Sunday night.

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

also scored as San Jose won their second straight after an 0-4-0 start. 

Hidden Content

had two assists and Patrick Marleau had one in his first home game since rejoining the Sharks. 

Hidden Content

stopped 32 shots after posting a 4.55 goals-against average while losing his first three starts.

"I don't think it's an accident that we've won the last two and he's been in the lineup," Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said of Marleau's return.

"He just plays the right way. He does the right thing when he's out on the ice all the time. It's really helped solidify our lineup a little bit."

The 40-year-old Marleau spent the first 19 seasons of his career in San Jose and ranks first in franchise history in points (1,085) and goals (509), among other categories.

After two seasons with Toronto he was traded to Carolina during the summer and then had his contract bought out.

"He's 40 but he's still flying," Hertl said. "He's a huge part now of the team and we're happy to have him here."

Marleau signed a one-year deal to return to San Jose on Oct. 9 and scored two goals in his first game back to lead the Sharks to their first win of the season the next day.

He has totaled five points in two games and infused energy to what was a downtrodden team.

"You lose four in a row and there's not many smiles at the rink," Couture said. "You really don't want to go to the rink to be honest, you want to stay away. But Patty was there, and everybody was happy to see him and that showed in our game."

Hidden Content

scored for Calgary, which has lost two straight and three of its last four. The Flames were playing their third road game in four days and second in two days.

Marleau and Couture each had an assist on Meier's first goal of the season just over three minutes into the game.

Labanc scored midway through the first to give San Jose a 2-0 lead. 

Hidden Content

and Tomas Hertl assisted on Labanc's second goal of the season.

The Flames scored at 6:43 of the second period, when Lindholm redirected 

Hidden Content

's shot off a face off.

San Jose extended its lead to 3-1 when Hertl scored San Jose's first short-handed goal of the season with 1:45 left in the second period.

Hidden Content

had 17 saves in his Calgary debut. The 31-year-old, signed a one-year free agent contract with the Flames in the offseason after splitting time last season between Edmonton and Philadelphia.

"Cam was good. No issue there," Flames coach Bill Peters said. "I thought he moved the puck well when he had his goalie touches."

The Flames were 0 for 4 on power plays.

"Although we didn't show it, we're the better team," Flames center 

Hidden Content

said. "We put pressure on them all night. Our power play has to be better . We'll get better from this game."

Frolik scores in his 800th NHL game, Flames beat Flyers 3-1

Game # 7

Flames Hockey Forum 3  Flyers Hockey Forum 1

Michael Frolik's first-period goal gives the Flames the lead for good in the team's 3-1 win over the Flyers.

By
Associated Press
Updated: 5 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- 

Hidden Content

lost his helmet on his first shift and scored on his second.

Frolik scored in his 800th NHL game and the 

Hidden Content

beat the 

Hidden Content

3-1 on Tuesday night.

Frolik scored the 154th goal of his 13-season career, fifth as a member of the Flames. The 31-year-old Czech has also played for the 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

"Eight hundred, it's a special number and I was definitely excited for sure," Frolik said. "Couldn't go better, to score on the second shift."

Hidden Content

also scored, and 

Hidden Content

added an empty-net goal for Calgary, which snapped a two-game losing skid.

Hidden Content

made 21 saves and improved to 3-2 on the season.

Defenseman 

Hidden Content

scored early in the third period as the Flyers closed within 2-1.

Hidden Content

made 35 saves in his first start of the season for the Flyers.

With Elliott pulled for an extra attacker, the Flyers couldn't produce an equalizer in the final two minutes of regulation.

Elliott stopped Lindholm twice in the first four minutes of the third.

"If there is anything positive to take from tonight's game, I would say it's the play of our goaltender Brian Elliott who played a really strong game," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault.

"He did what a goaltender is supposed to do, which is give your team a chance to win. He gave us a chance to come back in the third.

"We definitely did not play the way we wanted to. We didn't execute and we didn't make any plays with the puck.

"We're going to have an opportunity to jump back tomorrow and do a better job."

Hidden Content

fed Niskanen in the high slot from behind the net for Philadelphia's first goal of the game at 4:58.

Konecny's assist was his seventh point in four games.

The Flyers opened their regular season in Prague against the Chicago Blackhawks and returned to Philadelphia for one home game before hitting the road again in Western Canada.

"It hasn't seemed to affect us. Maybe it did tonight. I don't know," Niskanen said. "It's not an ideal situation but I don't think anybody in here is going to use that as an excuse.

"We just had two days off. We should be fresh, ready to go. We weren't good enough in the first two periods."

Trailing by a goal, Philadelphia pressed early in the second period.

Rittich stopped 

Hidden Content

in the first minute and shut down James van Reimsdyk twice in the slot four minutes in.

Mangiapane made it 2-0 at 14:15. Flames captain 

Hidden Content

dished the puck to Mangiapane at the point, and his low knuckler beat Elliott on the stick side.

Frolik scored at 1:35 of the first period. He knocked down a clearing attempt by Flyers defenseman 

Hidden Content

and whipped the puck over Elliott's glove.

Flames pull away in 3rd, beat Red Wings 5-1

Game # 8 

Flames Hockey Forum 5  Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum 1

The Flames get out to an early lead and never look back as they beat the Red Wings 5-1.

By
Associated Press
7 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

scored in a 5:18 span of the third period to break open a close game in the 

Hidden Content

' 5-1 victory over the 

Hidden Content

on Thursday night.

Bennett gave Calgary a 3-1 lead at 3:29, Ryan connected at 4:57 and Giordano added a power-play goal at 8:47. 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

also scored and 

Hidden Content

made 27 saves.

Hidden Content

scored for Detroit. The Red Wings have lost three in a row to fall to 3-4-0.

Mangiapane scored midway through the first period and Lindholm made it 2-0 on a power play halfway through the second. Helm struck 28 seconds later for Detroit.

Carter helps Kings beat Flames 4-1 to snap 3-game skid

Game # 9

Flames Hockey Forum 1 Kings Hockey Forum 4

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Todd McLellan was beginning to worry about his 

Hidden Content

doing the right things but not getting the desired results for their hard work.

The first-year coach can breathe a little easier now.

The Kings played one of their most complete games of the young season with a 4-1 victory over the 

Hidden Content

on Saturday night to snap a three-game losing streak.

"You eventually get concerned about the guys giving what they have and not getting rewarded. Will they begin to cheat, take shortcuts or wander from the program?

They didn't do that and that's a good sign," McLellan said.

Hidden Content

, who was one of seven Kings to get on the scoresheet, led the way with a goal and assist while 

Hidden Content

made 23 saves for his first victory in four starts.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

also scored for the Kings, who put the game out of reach with a three-goal second period.

Quick was on track to get a shutout until 

Hidden Content

scored on a penalty shot with 2:10 remaining.

"We played great. We did a good job taking away their main threats along with winning faceoffs," Quick said.

Hidden Content

, who came in with a 2.55 goals-against-average, allowed four goals on 28 shots in two periods.

Hidden Content

came in for the final 20 minutes and made eight saves for the Flames, who have dropped three straight road games.

"I think our first period was ok. It is a tough building and we were down one goal," Calgary defenseman 

Hidden Content

said. "It was probably in the first seven or eight minutes of the second period where the game got away from us. We need a better pushback from the group."

Toffoli scored 75 seconds into the game to end the goal drought at 136 minutes, 51 seconds. The Kings' center got the puck on a pass from 

Hidden Content

just outside the Calgary zone, made a nice move past two Flames defenders and put a wrist shot past Rittich for his third goal of the season. It was only second time this season the Kings scored first.

"If we're going to start a game, that's the best way to do it," McLellan said. "You could kind of feel a little bit of relief on the bench and then it was time to go back to work and the guys built off of it. We needed it and finally got rewarded."

Carter got his first goal of the season 15 seconds into the second when his backhand went off the skate of Calgary defenseman 

Hidden Content

and found its way into the net.

Kopitar scored the Kings first short-handed goal of the season five minutes later when he beat Rittich on his glove side on a breakaway. Los Angeles came into the game with the league's second-worst penalty-kill unit but was 5 of 5 against the Flames.

Kovalchuk then added a power-play goal at 8:58 with a slap shot from just beyond the left faceoff circle after a cross-ice pass from 

Hidden Content

. It was the Kings' first goal with the man-advantage in six games and snapped skid where they were 0 for 19. It is also the third goal of the season for Kopitar and Kovalchuk.

"For us today the scoring was great, but the checking was better and that allowed us to play with a lead," McLellan said. "I thought for tonight 52 minutes of our play was good. Then with eight minutes we strayed from it. We still have a lot to learn from it. We still see old habits slip in. There are things that need to be addressed and fixed."

Backlund propels Flames to 2-1 victory over Ducks

dm_191021_NHL_Video_Backlund_beats_Gibso
GG

Game # 10

Flames Hockey Forum 2  Ducks Hockey Forum 1

Associated Press
Updated: 11 hours ago

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- 

Hidden Content

and 

Hidden Content

haven't played much through the first three weeks of the 

Hidden Content

' season. They made the most of their opportunities Sunday night.

Talbot made 29 saves and Stone scored the Flames' first goal as they rallied for a 2-1 victory over the 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

broke a tie with 11:03 left, and Calgary snapped a three-game road losing streak, bouncing back from a disappointing 4-1 loss at Los Angeles on Saturday which some called "embarrassing" due to their effort.

"I thought everyone took accountability for last night," Talbot said. "I liked our work ethic and dedication in our zone to get the pucks out."

It was Talbot's second start and first win with the Flames. The seven-year veteran, who was with Edmonton and Philadelphia last season, signed with Calgary as a free agent.

He allowed up an early second-period goal to 

Hidden Content

but stopped Silfverberg on a breakaway midway through the period before making 11 saves in the third, many on one-timers. 

Hidden Content

had a point-blank chance in front of the net but could not convert.

"When they pushed, Talbot was there," Calgary coach Bill Peters said. "The work he has had with us has been good. We have a lot of confidence in him and as we get busier you will see him more."

Stone -- who was playing in only his third game -- tied it at 15:32 of the second with a one-timer from near the blueline for his first point.

Anaheim goaltender 

Hidden Content

didn't get a clear look as Calgary's 

Hidden Content

and Anaheim's 

Hidden Content

were battling in front of the net when Stone's slap shot got through.

"It felt good to contribute, it's been a while since I've done that," Stone said. "To get in there and get rewarded was nice."

Backlund scored when he got a pass from 

Hidden Content

on a 2-on-1 rush after a neutral zone turnover and beat Gibson with a snap shot from the right faceoff circle.

"I don't think Gibson expected an early pass. I was going to catch it and just changed my mind," said Backlund, who has a goal in two straight games.

Gibson made 27 saves for Anaheim, which lost for the first time in five home games.

Silfverberg opened the scoring 12 seconds into the second when he beat Talbot top shelf from the left faceoff circle after taking the pass from 

Hidden Content

. Silfverberg -- who has five goals this season -- has scored in three straight games.

"I thought we had numerous chances to not only tie it but go ahead by a couple and we just couldn't get it in the net," Anaheim coach 

Hidden Content

said.