Who makes the playoff this year? 2019/20 latest odds

Buffalo Rick

The odds are up on Bet Us as to who makes the playoffs.  While some odds are expected, some to me are a bit strange.  They have confidence that Boston and Pittsburgh will be back.  Much more in Boston.  In the West they have Vegas as a slam dunk.  And the Sharks as pretty confident.  I am not so sure about the Sharks.  So here are some of the odds.  

Philadelphia (I list them first because I know of the interest here)  +110  so modest chance

Toronto -660  (slam dunk)

Winnipeg (-145)  maybe too much respect?

St Louis (-220)  defending champs should have a much better number, a good bet

Washington (-280)

Edmonton (+225)  sorry JR

Vancouver (+180)

San Jose (-180)

Vegas (-700)  lots of love

Buffalo Sabres (+225)  same as Edmonton, not promising

Carolina (-180)

Florida (-220)  jumping on the wagon?

Montreal (+140)  this is one I might take a shot on

Rangers (+125)  too much respect IMO

Penguins (-180)  I am not sold

Tampa (-1000)  no surprise

Minnesota (+200)  I do not like their chances

Nashville (-300)

Boston (-500)  this is the most blown up number I have seen.  Not sold

Dallas (-325)

Calgary (-210)  maybe too much faith?

Colorado (-325) the other media darlings other than Florida, but I say better than Florida

Anaheim (+325)

Arizona (-115)  quite a bit of respect

I believe that between Pittsburgh and Boston, at least one is likely to take a big step back.  Pittsburgh is getting very old.  The Sabres got one of Boston' solid trench players and how much did that game 7 loss take out of them?  We will see.  I think that Montreal likely gets in.  So they would be a value play.  I would bet against the Rangers.  Maybe Im wrong?  There are bound to be some surprises.  I am hoping the Sabres are one but if they do get in likely it will be a fight to the finish for an 8 seed, given the uncertainty in the nets and the need for another quality winger.  Its really a shock to me that Montreal did not get in last year the way they played down the stretch.  If they can start out like that they should make it.  But who knows.  There you have it.  

• 3 months later...

If you're talking about the odds of something happening then that's a probability and probabilities are expressed either as a percentage (%) or as a decimal number representing a percentage.

So we would say that Toronto had a 75% chance of making the playoffs (as an example), or that could be represented as 0.75.  :) 

18 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What does the -660 mean? 

I've never understood "odds" in Vegas. They seem to use their own convoluted notation that is apart from the field of mathematics.  :) 

It means they are  a mathematical certainty to make the playoffs

4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It means they are  a mathematical certainty to make the playoffs

That would mean 100% then.

Although I don't know how they come up with their odds. Given where the Leafs were a few weeks ago, how could anyone grant them such odds of making the playoffs when Montreal, Florida, Buffalo, and Tampa are right there in the mix?  Seems weird to me.

You should check out the site:  www.sportsclubstats.com

They have probabilities of each team making the playoffs in every sport.  :) 

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

That would mean 100% then.

Although I don't know how they come up with their odds. Given where the Leafs were a few weeks ago, how could anyone grant them such odds of making the playoffs when Montreal, Florida, Buffalo, and Tampa are right there in the mix?  Seems weird to me.

You should check out the site:  www.sportsclubstats.com

They have probabilities of each team making the playoffs in every sport.  :) 

Thanks to that moron behind the bench our chances are slip sliding away.  Tough tough loss to Boston last night.  I think they deserved better.  I am thinking about the Bills now.