HF.net ALL STAR FHL 2019-20 Season Discussion

pilldoc

Just want to officially say GOOD LUCK to all.  It was a really good draft with a lot of players falling through the rounds.  I looked over the rosters and I must say that all the GM's did a great job in drafting as all the rosters are pretty equally balanced.  Should be an exciting year!

• Like 1

To make it easier to know who everyone is, listed below are the All Star Teams with their respective GM's:

@yave1964 (Putting on the foil)

@Bakanekimiwa (Bakanekimiwa's Team)

@molonosoff (Nasty AngryMan)

@pilldoc (Divine Swine IcePigs)

@ruxpin (Hell Bears)

@J0e Th0rnton (Halifax Sharknado) 

@TropicalFruitGirl26 (Green Star Blades)

@hf101 (Slick Sticks)

@Hale (Mickey's Gang)

@Jagged Ice (Jagged Ice)

@The Mountain Man (Bambi on Ice)

@FD19372 (PA40FlyersFan's Team)

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts on last nights draft.

First, sad for j0e, hope all is well and that things work out for him and his Dad.

Glad there is another Wings fan, saw he drafted Mantha and a few ex wings. HAH! Beat him to Larkin, lol

@TropicalFruitGirl26 felt bad for j0e not being there so she drafted his centers, lol.

Usually @pilldoc between us draft Backstrom and Monahan, around December I start offering him one for the other, around January he says, what the hell they are basically the same player and we swap them. This year he cut out the middle man (me) and simply drafted them both.

@ruxpin for not preparing for the draft got serious quality late. Always drafts well. Same with @Bakanekimiwa.They are going to be tough outs this year.

I didn't realize how much I missed having @hf101 in the league last year until last nights draft. Always has a plan while drafting. I tried to play along and figure out the draft strategy and saw HF come out solid in every category as usual.

The new folks in the league did a good job. I believe they were winners in other leagues who moved up if I am correct?

@molonosoff was both nasty and angry in the chat section, cracking me up throughout the draft.

That is about it. Overall I am satisfied with my team, I always try to build a wall of strength for the final four categories (shots/hits/Faceoffs/blocks) to try to win the majority of them each week and feel I did an adequate job of doing so. I reached too early on a few players who I like simply because I like them and they suit my team and I didn't want to miss out on them but hey, it is what it is. Goalies flew off the shelf early as expected. Wishing everyone luck this year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

First, sad for j0e, hope all is well and that things work out for him and his Dad.

Absolutely agree here!  I missed not having @J0e Th0rnton in the draft room last night.  My thoughts and good well wishes go out to him and his family.  

47 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

TropicalFruitGirl26 felt bad for j0e not being there so she drafted his centers, lol.

TFG always drafts well. This year is no different. She got 3 studs herself at the Center position with O'Reilly / Toews / Kopitar (who she nabbed right before I was gonna draft him)  She and I decided to duke it out for d-men who go high on the Hits / Blocked shots list ......

Over she has a strong team too!

36 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@ruxpin for not preparing for the draft got serious quality late. Always drafts well. Same with @Bakanekimiwa.They are going to be tough outs this year.

Yup ... He is always tough to go against and I suspect this year will be no different.  I expect the first traded offer coming from him around Friday. ;) 

38 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Usually @pilldoc between us draft Backstrom and Monahan, around December I start offering him one for the other, around January he says, what the hell they are basically the same player and we swap them. This year he cut out the middle man (me) and simply drafted them both

Hey what can I say!  My son blurts out ....."Hey Dad! Backstrom is still available...Get him!"  LOL  -  Oh the future FHL GM in training! LOL 

40 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I didn't realize how much I missed having @hf101 in the league last year until last nights draft. Always has a plan while drafting. I tried to play along and figure out the draft strategy and saw HF come out solid in every category as usual.

@hf101  always drafts well!  Look at the the goaltending ..... Hart / Gibson and the Devil twins ....how did we let that happen! 

41 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The new folks in the league did a good job. I believe they were winners in other leagues who moved up if I am correct?

@molonosoff was both nasty and angry in the chat section, cracking me up throughout the draft.

I'm looking forward in having new blood in the All Star League ....They were great competitors last year and I expect nothing less this year!  

Oh and yes ..... the chat had both by son and I cracking up! LOL

Overall I am pretty happy with my team also.  I have to studs in net and some Centers who eat up FOW.  I really tried to do better with both Hits and Blocked shot this year.  I neglected them last year and then had to trade for them.  (The trades with both @ruxpin and @yave1964 really set me up for the run I had...Thanks Guys! :) )

Took some gambles too .....Lets see how Gusev does and hopefully Boeser will have a rebound year.  Biggest risk of night was the last pick.  Nylander...hopefully he stays on top line with Kane and Toews.  If he does and come rack up some points then he would be a 20th round steal! 

Anyway .... Thanks for the write up Dave!

Good Luck to all!

• Thanks 1

Season's Eve trade to report....

The Green Star Blades will be acquiring Alex DeBrincat and Robin Lehner.
The PA40Flyers get Erik Haula and Semyon Varlamov

The Blades went into the draft with the idea of dominating the goalie categories and used up their first three picks to acquire three top notch starters!
However, Alex DeBrincat was also a target and he eluded them.... 

Meanwhile, the PA40's sure could use a regular starter to go along with Rinne, and they will be getting that in Varlamov.

Taking on Lehner may be dangerous (can he fare well in Chicago's more open style vs. the Islanders defense first style?), but getting the likes of a DeBrincat to go along with Jonathan Toews already on the team was too good to pass up.
The Star Blades still feature Holtby and Price.

Varly and Rinne should be a nice combo for the PA's....and Erik Haula was derailed by injury last year, but his projected numbers for this season could turn out to be a nice surprise for FD's team.
He can score, set up, and take some face offs....and on the Hurricanes, who play a VERY open style, he should thrive.

Funny this trade, as I mentioned to my trade partner..
We face each other starting tomorrow for opening week... players are packing their gear to switch locker rooms as we speak... :biggrin:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The Green Star Blades will be acquiring Alex DeBrincat and Robin Lehner.
The PA40Flyers get Erik Haula and Semyon Varlamov

Wow.  Just wow.

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Glad there is another Wings fan, saw he drafted Mantha and a few ex wings. HAH! Beat him to Larkin, lol

That would be @Hale  a co-worker who also joined us in our nhl draft this spring, a rather knowlegeable hockey fan for sure.  He won the Conn Smythe last season,  just saying...

13 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Thank you,  and yes my strategy.  Come in unprepared and ... wing it.    ;)     I guess I'm doing something right as no one has yet figured out this onthefly strategy.   🤣  

@J0e Th0rnton  we missed you bud,  hope you didn't get too many reject players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@pilldoc

@hf101

Are suspended players not eligible for IR?

Was trying to move Kuznetsov serving his 3-gamer to IR, but that isn't an option.

No.  You have to suffer through the suspension with them.    They can't go on IR.

Same for me with Kuz in Nahana and Kane in All-Stars.   I've stumbled on that before, though, so in my case I did it knowingly.   

Edited by ruxpin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@pilldoc

@hf101

Are suspended players not eligible for IR?

Was trying to move Kuznetsov serving his 3-gamer to IR, but that isn't an option.

See @ruxpin above ...he beat me too it ...... I have had it happen to be a couple of times in the past years ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 11:51 PM, hf101 said:

That would be @Hale  a co-worker who also joined us in our nhl draft this spring, a rather knowlegeable hockey fan for sure.  He won the Conn Smythe last season,  just saying...

Thank you,  and yes my strategy.  Come in unprepared and ... wing it.    ;)     I guess I'm doing something right as no one has yet figured out this onthefly strategy.   🤣  

@J0e Th0rnton  we missed you bud,  hope you didn't get too many reject players.

I actually got several who are not even playing in the nhl lol

I got a lot of work to do and not time to do it

• Like 1

Anyone have an opinion of Cody 'don't call me Tanner ' Glass? I have been following him for two years,  I think he could be a Calder candidate centering Stone and Pax  on the second line. 

44 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Anyone have an opinion of Cody 'don't call me Tanner ' Glass? I have been following him for two years,  I think he could be a Calder candidate centering Stone and Pax  on the second line. 

Well, obviously small NHL sample size, but he looked pretty damned good yesterday.
Goal aside, he was just alive in all areas of the ice.

You always ice a solid FHL team, Yave, even if he doesn't develop into a superstar overnight this season in the NHL, he may be worth keeping around your core players.
But if he does...yowza...look out..

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I actually got several who are not even playing in the nhl lol

I got a lot of work to do and not time to do it

Feel for ya J0e...
But knowing you, you will patch something together...squeak into the playoffs, make life miserable for us spreadsheet prepared GMs, and play the Cinderella card to the hilt! ;)

Good luck, my friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trade in All Star League....

The Halifax Sharknadoticons receive:
(G)-Braden Holtby and (RW) Kyle Palmieri 

The Green Star Blades receive:
(G)- Corey Crawford and (L/RW) Patrik Laine

The Sharkies get some much needed goalie help, the Star Blades add to their offense.
Guess I will be dealing with Chicago goaltending after acquiring Lehner earlier on, still have Carey Price on board, but Laine should fit in nicely with my very exciting wingers and centers.

Holtby will bolster the Sharktithingcons and Kyle Palmieri is nothing to scoff at, as he is a steady, sometimes hot streaking winger year after year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Trade in All Star League....

The Halifax Sharknadoticons receive:
(G)-Braden Holtby and (RW) Kyle Palmieri 

The Green Star Blades receive:
(G)- Corey Crawford and (L/RW) Patrik Laine

The Sharkies get some much needed goalie help, the Star Blades add to their offense.
Guess I will be dealing with Chicago goaltending after acquiring Lehner earlier on, still have Carey Price on board, but Laine should fit in nicely with my very exciting wingers and centers.

Holtby will bolster the Sharktithingcons and Kyle Palmieri is nothing to scoff at, as he is a steady, sometimes hot streaking winger year after year.

I'm sure the first of many moves for @J0e Th0rnton .  

Welp...
Tampa Bay is lighting up Carey Price....from a fan standpoint, I am lovin that.
From a fantasy standpoint....sucks.

I have Price, and so far, the Bolts have struck him for 3 goals on just 11 SOG.
Those types of things have a tendency to be harmful to goalie categories.... :shifty:

Still waiting overall, for my team to start scoring goals.
On paper, they look like they should be real good...gotta remember...early season, patience, they will 'come around'....

Score already!!! :bigteeth: 

Trade to announce (you can only keep two tradaholics away from the feeder bar for so long)

To Putting on the Foil:

Vincent Trochek, Evander Kane, Ben Bishop

To Hell's Bears:

Leon Draisaitl, Jacob Slavin, Tim Meier

I don't know.  I always feel like if Yave accepts a trade I must have done it wrong. :)

Bishop will probably be key to my regret here.  I'm a big Trochek fan so sorry to see him go.  I am not a Kane fan.

So, aside from the goalie, who is a roll of the dice, I'm happy with it.

@ruxpin and I were like two drunken sailors in search of a bar fight or some loving and kept striking out. As far as if the trade was amore or a good old brawl, well dont ask dont tell, lol.

Okay my logic:

Draisatl easily the best player in the deal. Easily. Bar none. Period. simply a superstar who qualifies at C/LW getting 100 points, 300 shots 30 PPP and 800 faceoffs. Frankly I am a bit sick of dealing him. I almost offered MacKinnon instead even.

That said, I added

Trocheck who gets everything, easily the most underrated player in the game, 70 points, hits, faceoffs, shots, shorties, you name it, he does it.

Kane, like him or hate him he had 30 goals while leading the league in PIMs first guy since tiger Williams nearly 40 years ago to do that. Just a beast fantasy wise.

Bishop even though Dallas is slumping is still putting up very solid numbers, he along with Fleury and Lundqvist give me a nice firewall of points in net. Love the trio.

Losing Meier hurts, love his game and like his LW/RW combo even more. Slavin is kind of a mini Hedman who only is missing scoring from his game but with Faulk out of the way should put up 45 ish points along with all the peripheral stats. Hate to see both gone.

But with this deal, I will cut Craig Anderson after his start tomorrow night against Vegas and pick up either a nice forward or seach for the replacement for Slavin. I have a couple of fun options to look into.

So that is my logic. Of course it will all blow up, Bishop will blow out a knee, Rux will pick up Khubodin and ride him to a championship, lol.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, I've left myself a bit suspect in goal, which I'll probably have to address later, but I think I improved the top end and depth to my skaters.

I love Vinny.   I'm a huge fan, probably second only to Yave in the fantasy leagues, (not so) ironically enough.  But the opportunity was there to grab Draisaitl, so I went for it.

Goaltending be damned.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

But the opportunity was there to grab Draisaitl, so I went for it.

I felt the same way in NAHANA ....  I absolutely love Draisaitl's game.  (Man he would look awesome in O&B .....)

Good trade for both.  I tried to pry Draisaitl away from @yave1964 last week but i wasn't gutting my team ...... 

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Goaltending be damned.

so which goalie of mine do you want to try to pilfer away from me ...  :VeryCool:

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

Alright, so I drafted Radko Gudas figuring playing in Washington, he'd have more of an opportunity to put up more assists and SOG than he did in Philly due to the Caps' more wide open playstyle.
Gudas DOES have a pretty good shot and he might still do that.

However, I think we all know, Gudas' best assets are his physicality and propensity for PIMs (well, that's an asset in fantasy hockey, not necessarily in an actual NHL game :bigteeth: )

So far, he has been so-so for me....the assist numbers I was looking for aren't really there and he has been averaging about 2 SOG per game (not bad, but would maybe like some more), and his hits are just now starting to come around.

I guess what I am really waiting for (in addition to some extra production on the team he is playing on) is for ol Radko to just lose his %$#$ and outright win me the PIMs category in any given week!

Between he, McNabb's nastiness, and some of the forwards I have who sometimes play nasty (or dirty, depending on your point of view), I expect PIMs to not be too much an issue for me.

Cmon, Radko…..when are you gonna go ape%$#@ on someone this year?
The Green Star Blades await your assists, shots, and 10 min misconducts....do not disappoint.... :shifty:

• Haha 1