Evander Kane- two polls

yave1964

What is your opinion of the three game suspension?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the three game suspension?

• Too long
    • Too short
    • Just right
  2. 2. Is Evander Kane targeted by officials for being Evander Kane?

• Yes
    • no

A couple of days late because I wanted to wait until the decision on the suspension came down.

Evander Kane has been suspended for a total of three games for shoving an on ice official during the preseason finale in a game against the Vegas Golden Knights.Above is the video of the altercation.

I have watched it a dozen times, I have avoided Shark and Knight fan bases when searching for what other folks have thought of the incident and instead tried to read what other fans of the game with no skin in the game thought. There really is a lot to unpack here.

These two teams really do not like each other and for a preseason game it got testy quick. Truth is Kane could have been tossed out earlier in the game (if he had been none of this would have happened) when he got mathcing roughing minors with Zykov as they came out of the penalty box they squared off with the puck at the oppsite end if the ice.and then in the third it really started to get out of control when goalie aaron Dell who has been known for a bit of fancy stick work in the past used his shoulder to the head of Mark Stone outside of the crease sending Stone flying into the boards in a scary moment. There were several fights and lots of hard hitting followed by pushing and shoving as the officials lost control of the game.

And then.

Kane and Engelland got into it, Engelland was looking to fight, so was Kane. The on ice official jumped between them, Kane swung his stick to swat Engelland in the legs and hit the official. The official clearly at that point became pissed off, Engelland and Kane were jawing on their way up the ice, it was clear that a fight was going to occur and the official grabbed Kane, threw him to the ice 9Kane and Engelland were not engaged, not touching each other even) an enraged Kane upon getting back to his skates shoved the official. He received an ejection for abuse of an official. 

Here is how I feel about it?

Did Kane shove an on ice official? Absolutely. No question. Should he have been suspended? Not a chance in hell.

Look Kane has earned his rep as one of the biggest horses asses in the game today, but the official tackled him to the ice. Upon disengaging Kane gave him a shove back. Should have been case closed. If you said he was getting three games for swinging his stick and hitting the official while swinging it at Engelland, fine, okay, zero problem with that but if someone follows me around the ice and tackles me I am going to give them a shove too. So my answer is no way does he deserve to be suspended for shoving an official who tackled him to the ice, but if you want to suspend him for swinging the stick and hitting the ref, well okay.

The other question is,  do officials unfairly target Kane? That one is a bit more complicated.

I do believe he has a target on his back, mostly for being a loudmouth disrespectful punk in his younger days. I remember a game last year when Chara got ahold of Kane and started rag dolling him all over the place, the Zebra went and got a manicure and checked his email and then slowly came in and broke things up. Chara has earned the respect of on ice officials, Kane has earned their ire. Do I think he is targeted? Yes. Is it earned? God yes. I read more than a few comments attributing it to race which I emphatically disagree with, he is targeted, a weary eye kept on him because of his reputation which he has brought on by his lonesome. Truth is, I felt the on ice official if he had been holding Kane and Engelland has swatted him with his stick a bit of yelling would have occurred, a threat to knock it off and it would have been done. Kane has a target but HE put it there. I like Kane. He became the first 30 goal scorer to lead the league in Penalty minutes in nearly 40 years since the days of Tiger Williams, he brings something to the table that few can and even few are willing to put themselves out there and do. He can beat you in a dozen different ways, he isn't Marchand who is a sneaky little weasel who does dirty stuff when an official is not looking then runs away, he fights you in the corner, never gives a quarter and then can stick the dagger in with a goal with the best of them.

The officials lost control of the game, Kane got three games I would be interested to know what if any discipline the officiating crew received.

@Podein25

When Kane more or less ran himself out of Winnipeg I applauded Buff and the rest for taking a stand. His reputation was well earned.

This...… somehow this felt different to me though. This felt as if he were being targeted, no way no how should an on ice official tackle a player to the ice who is literally five feet from the next closest player. The officials lost control of the game, Kane should have been tossed for coming out the penalty box and throwing his gloves down in the second period and squaring off with Zykov with the puck literally 100 feet away. There are those who say he deserves everything he gets because of past transgressions and because he is a piece of sh1t and I get that too but this one, man I have a hard time faulting Kane for shoving a ref who tackled him to the ice.

18 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@Podein25

When Kane more or less ran himself out of Winnipeg I applauded Buff and the rest for taking a stand. His reputation was well earned.

This...… somehow this felt different to me though. This felt as if he were being targeted, no way no how should an on ice official tackle a player to the ice who is literally five feet from the next closest player. The officials lost control of the game, Kane should have been tossed for coming out the penalty box and throwing his gloves down in the second period and squaring off with Zykov with the puck literally 100 feet away. There are those who say he deserves everything he gets because of past transgressions and because he is a piece of sh1t and I get that too but this one, man I have a hard time faulting Kane for shoving a ref who tackled him to the ice.

I see the whole incident as much ado about nothing. First, he basically slips/loses his balance, wasn't really "tackled" to the ice in my opinion. Why the zebra thought it was necessary to intervene like that is a fair question though, not sure what he thinks he's doing there. Second, Kane barely touches him. It's not even clear to me if he knows it's zebra that he's pushing and not a player. 

Regardless, he is a giant POS

36 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Why the zebra thought it was necessary to intervene like that is a fair question though, not sure what he thinks he's doing there.

Speculating - having not seen the game - but as yave notes they had lost control of the game and maybe were trying to regain control?

36 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Second, Kane barely touches him. It's not even clear to me if he knows it's zebra that he's pushing and not a player. 

Zero tolerance for touching officials from where I sit. Kane has been suspended before.

• Like 1

Here's a take from Paul Stewart.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paulbr-Stewart/Kane-Suspension-Further-Weakens-Abuse-of-Official8230/196/101760

In the case of San Jose Sharks' winger's suspension this week, it was a no-brainer that it fit in the 10-game category and not the three.

"The crux of the three-game category in this instance: "Any player who, by his actions...deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games."

This is the 10-game category: "Deliberately applying physical force without intent to injure an official." The distinction between the two categories is the added wordage in the milder category about the player specifically trying to get free during an on-ice altercation between the two teams.

In Kane's case, there was an altercation that he'd been separated from -- not very effectively or in the fashion in which officials are trained -- but that situation had died died down by the time Kane and the linesman tumbled to the ice. Kane's subsequent response -- a non-forceful, but nevertheless inappropriate and dangerous shove to the official -- had nothing to do with getting free to get back at the opponent and everything to do with feeling angry and embarrassed. That's a 10-gamer, in my opinion.