2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

Iowa Wild team is playing now first game of their 2019-20 season against Rockford IceHogs. Our score so far is 2:2 at the beginning(3 min.) of the 3rd period.Gabriel Dumont and Gerald Mayhew put  goals into the IceHogs net. Lodnia, Dewar and Sokolov are not involved in that game, but a new player(signed in August,2019) Kyle Bauman is in the game as well as J.T.Brown tonight. Kahkonen is in the net. Iowa made  25 shots as well as  Rockford team  22 shots so far at this time of the game. Nice game so far. 

You can listen it through that iheart.com link:

https://www.iheart.com/live/1460-kxno-921/

Edited by Alexandron

Good news! We won that game with a score 3:2. J.T.Brown put the winning goal 15 seconds before the end of the game by the late deflection  from the wrist shot of Nico Sturm who had a primary assist to that PP goal. Bartkovski had an assist to it too. Belpedio and Thompson had assists to a Mayhew's goal. Total shots for our team 33 and for Rockford team- 26. Kahkonen stopped 24 shots out of 26. Overall, nice game  and a nice win as well!

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to listen to this game because I was coaching football last night.  But it sounds like they eeked out a win in the last minute.  Dumont scored and Mayhew...two guys who will probably be the workhorse of this Iowa team.  Belpedio had a good game too.  I also hope Brown accepts the demotion and is a positive leader there too.  Duhaime, Dewar and the other kids will get their chances...but the vets can carry a lot of the mail.  Nice start for Iowa.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I didn't get a chance to listen to this game because I was coaching football last night.  But it sounds like they eeked out a win in the last minute.  Dumont scored and Mayhew...two guys who will probably be the workhorse of this Iowa team.  Belpedio had a good game too.  I also hope Brown accepts the demotion and is a positive leader there too.  Duhaime, Dewar and the other kids will get their chances...but the vets can carry a lot of the mail.  Nice start for Iowa.  

It was a superb start there. Agree - Dumont, Mayhew, Belpedio, and also Sturm will be the main workhorses in Iowa. In general , IMO, our team has a good drive to win a Calder Cup this or next year.  Hope J.T. Brown will be a good solid example as a positive leader not only on the ice, but between the games too and will not train our youngsters how to drink strong drinks in excessive amounts. Otherwise we will get the famous drinking Iowa Wild team by the end of the season.

I am already thinking to sign for AHLTV, but not decided for what package yet. The prices are acceptable according to that link:

https://www.watchtheahl.com/#/

Another nice game for the Iowa Wild team. We are leading now after 2 periods with a score 4:1. Iowa Wild made so far 24 shots on goal and Milwaukee Admirals - 12. Gerald Mayhew having a strong game again - 1 goal;2 assists. Why we are not getting him to the big club? He is playing now the  4th year in Iowa Wild and never was tried in a big club. Last year he had 60 points(27 goals;33 assists); and the year before he had 32 points(16 goals;16 assists). I do not get it - why he is not here for a try-out?
For that current game against Milwakee stats are here:

https://theahl.com/stats/game-center/1019639

And all goals so far you be able to see through the  Iowa Wild Tweeter  on that link:

https://twitter.com/IAWild

We won it with a final score 5:2!!! Mayhew had 1 goal;3 assists;and Dumont had 1 goal;1 assist in that game. Solid efforts, good results for the entire team. We outshot Admirals 39 - 17. Kahkonen was in the net again. Next game is on Friday at 7:00 p.m. against Texas Stars. 

• 2 weeks later...

In opposite to our big club, Iowa Wild won the game again, even without Mayhew, last night against Manitoba Moose with a score 6:4(placing 43 shots vs 32). I am glad that Sokolov started to play this season and had 4 shots on goal. Dewar still is not involved.

5 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The way this season is going, with a little bit of luck at the draft lottery, we might have Kaprizov and Alexis Lafreniere next season. That duo might have gamebreaker qualities.

No way the Wild get Lafreniere. They’ll start winning at some point and get their usual 10-20 pick. And draft a nice safe player. 

8 hours ago, 4Check said:

If Khovanov can improve his skating (especially separation), IMO he becomes a very intriguing prospect.

Khovanov looked faster to me at the prospect camp this season than he did a year ago IMO.  So far he's putting up the points and committing less penalties which is good to see too.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Boldy, McBain and Warren's destinies...tied together (The Athletic article)

Anyone reading the same problem with McBain and Boldy that we keep talking about way too often around here?  

Seems that skating is an issue again...but supposedly that’s fixable according to Ron Hextall...

• Like 1

I was encouraged by several things about Boldy.  Most notably that Wroblewski said that his edge work is the best he's seen at USA hockey and that his lateral skating and speed are excellent. Edge work, IMO is critical.  As an example, Jeff Skinner has been able to overcome average speed with his outstanding edge work ability.  The concern for Boldy is his first two steps.  IMO, that is often times correctable.  Charlie Coyle is an example.   And the fact that Boldy's labeled as an excellent athlete furthers that optimism.    Overall, a huge plus, is his move to center.   For me, it's a glimmer of hope that both Boldy and Khovanov are potential top 6 C's.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, Iowa Wild lost 2 games in a row against Roadrunners. They made lots of shots in those 2 games, but did not produce enough goals to win these games. Probably, the team is missing their main scorers Mayhew and Dumont, who are successfully playing for the big club now. Surprisingly, Sokolov was involved only in 1 game so far.

Lynxrattle, you asked where is a logic to sent Mayhew back to Iowa. I think, it should be some way to keep longer on an IR some turnover machines or some other ways to hold Mayhew here. Unfortunately, multiple times we do not see any logic since the Wild team was born. Players who should not be playing in the 1st or 2nd lines are playing there, as well as in PP and OT, and talented players  who should be playing in the top lines or during PP and OT are not involved there or sitting on the bench. That way  those young promising players are gradually transforming into a mediocre players. In opposite to that , the oldish mediocre players taken from other teams having lots of game time for both clubs. Personally for me, it is a discrimination strategy for our promising youngsters. And Kahkonen should be involved at least in one game for 2 years covering Stalock when Dubnyk was injured. Just give him a try to feel a real NHL.And also, IMO, the GM Kurves in Iowa doing the same stupid strategy as Fenton did for the big club. Here is a fresh example - new article from the Iowa Wild link - Kurves just reassigned Sokolov to ECHL - unbelievable an idiotic decision taken by 2 people - Kurves and Army, instead of involving him in the top lines at least in Iowa:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/iowa-wild-reassigns-dmitry-sokolov-to-allen

I don't know enough about AHL or ECHL to really comment on that. What I do wonder is, that even if one thinks about the forwards we have managed to get into NHL, that they seem to up their game when they get out of the Wild. Niederreiter had a huge end of season, Haula has been a beast for the Canes this season, Coyle was very good in the playoffs, Tuch is quite ok for Vegas. Only Granlund has been disappointing after leaving the Wild. What we see repeating in the organisation is forwards underachieving, defenders developing nicely. If I was Leipold I would assign the responsibility of developing forwards to one guy, and then kick the b..tard out, if this kind of Niederreiter/Haula/Tuch/Sokolov/Mayhew stuff would go on. Whatever has been happening with the forwards right now, that stuff risks the development of Kaprizov and Boldy as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

.And also, IMO, the GM Kurves in Iowa doing the same stupid strategy as Fenton did for the big club. Here is a fresh example - new article from the Iowa Wild link - Kurves just reassigned Sokolov to ECHL - unbelievable an idiotic decision taken by 2 people - Kurves and Army, instead of involving him in the top lines at least in Iowa:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/iowa-wild-reassigns-dmitry-sokolov-to-allen

I know you love these Russian kids, but there must be something else going on with Sokolov. A bunch of people asked Russo last night what’s the deal with Sokolov and he wasn’t sure. He said he looked in great shape conditioning-wise. So there must be something else with his game. He hinted that it was his skating that hasn’t improved. He also stated that there’s other reasons projected first rounders drop to the seventh round. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I know you love these Russian kids, but there must be something else going on with Sokolov. A bunch of people asked Russo last night what’s the deal with Sokolov and he wasn’t sure. He said he looked in great shape conditioning-wise. So there must be something else with his game. He hinted that it was his skating that hasn’t improved. He also stated that there’s other reasons projected first rounders drop to the seventh round. 

Not really sure either.  Even when Dumont and Mayhew got called up, you would've thought that would've opened the door for Sokolov to get into the lineup.  It didn't.  My guess its either character stuff because as you stated, he appeared to be in great shape.  He played well at Traverse City and prospect camp too.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Not really sure either.  Even when Dumont and Mayhew got called up, you would've thought that would've opened the door for Sokolov to get into the lineup.  It didn't.  My guess its either character stuff because as you stated, he appeared to be in great shape.  He played well at Traverse City and prospect camp too.  

Russo also hinted that he’s really no longer a prospect. And getting sent to the ECHL is probably the end of his Wild career...