2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

I still just do not understand why Sokolov is so badly benched? It gives me lots of frustration. Is the coach has difficulties to communicate with him? Or is the coach thinking that Sokolov will get more valuable professional experience by sitting on the bench? He appeared only in 5 out of 23 games in Iowa (2 goals;0 assists;+/-0).   Iowa Wild team lost last game with a score 1:5, and tonight team is losing now during a 3rd period with a score 1:7 on 27 shots towards our net, by replacing during the game 2 goalies already(Robson(lost 5 goals) to Baribeau(lost 2 goals)). Both  goalies definitely are not playing well in a last 2 games. And in those games Sokolov was not involved at all.
Connor Dewar also was benched a lot and was involved in 12 out of 23 games(2 goals;1 assist;+/-0). Sometimes I am thinking, if Torchetti would be our Iowa Wild coach again then what he will do? He will place our drafted offensively minded prospects Sokolov and Dewar on the bench or will place them at least to a 2nd line for a tryout , but not to a 4th line as we see usually here? I am gradually losing an interest, because do not understand these things. Something, I do not get it.  Developing a high quality player is an art, based not only on a player's talent, but mainly on a smart intense practice between the games on building a chemistry for the regular professional games.

Kidding, of course. Very nice to see the Wild prospects being discussed at such length. Amazing they have such an electric prospect such as Kaprizov....after years of meh and bland picks. I was high on Greenway a few yrs back ....and still way to early to write him off...but not the dominant power forward I thought he was.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Kidding, of course. Very nice to see the Wild prospects being discussed at such length. Amazing they have such an electric prospect such as Kaprizov....after years of meh and bland picks. I was high on Greenway a few yrs back ....and still way to early to write him off...but not the dominant power forward I thought he was.

I'm not holding my breath on Kaprizov. The hype around that kid has been built up so much that if he comes over here and isn't the equivalent of Connor McDavid he's going to be considered a bust by all the Wild homers. 

Jammer...we still have a lot of meh picks.  Our 1st round pick, Matt Boldy, from this year has a goal and an assist in 15 games and he's getting 2nd line minutes on his team.  Last night...another no goal performance.  Filip Johansson...yea, nothing to say there that isn't negative.  So we're still missing in some big ways.  

But we do seem to have some gems from later rounds...in the more immediate sense, Carson Soucy is looking like a nice late round pick albeit 5+ years since we drafted him.  Off in the distance, Brandon Duhaime, Connor Dewar are playing reasonably well in their 1st AHL seasons.  Alexander Khovanov is playing really well in the QMJHL and might be our team's next best prospect after Kaprizov.  After him I'd say Adam Beckman looks like our best next young prospect.  Boudrias has been reasonable as has Giroux.  Ivan Lodnia is having a strong start.  Sam Hentges looks promising...while Nick Swaney has cooled off in his junior year (not a good sign).  Bryce Misley never scores...

6 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm not holding my breath on Kaprizov. The hype around that kid has been built up so much that if he comes over here and isn't the equivalent of Connor McDavid he's going to be considered a bust by all the Wild homers. 

If he can give us a player that is impactful and skilled...doesn't have to be McDavid, I will be thrilled.  I am trying to tame my expectations but when you follow a person from afar for so long...its tough not to get caught up into it.  I will say this, I am more bullish on him than I was on Mikael Granlund because it seems to me there is a greater body of work to look at.  He's demonstrated in a number of different high profile events and excelled.  Not just a few overplayed flashes of brilliance, but he's been more consistent IMO.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

If he can give us a player that is impactful and skilled...doesn't have to be McDavid, I will be thrilled.  I am trying to tame my expectations but when you follow a person from afar for so long...its tough not to get caught up into it.  I will say this, I am more bullish on him than I was on Mikail Granlund because it seems to me there is a greater body of work to look at.  He's demonstrated in a number of different high profile events and excelled.  Not just a few overplayed flashes of brilliance, but he's been more consistent IMO.  

I'm not saying the kid is going to be a bust, just that the hype over him has been built up so much. It's almost not fair to him. 

I mean look at Nikita Gusev. Everyone was wetting their pants over this guy when Vegas said they weren't going to sign him  and then Vegas gets a second and a third from New Jersey for him and he's put up all of 13 points in 25 games so far. Big deal.

Would it be great if he came over here and excelled? Heck yeah. I can't remember a Wild draft pick that I've been excited over recently. They've all been "nice" players, but nothing that would get me to say "Whoa, this kids going to be something..."

46 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Jammer...we still have a lot of meh picks.  Our 1st round pick, Matt Boldy, from this year has a goal and an assist in 15 games and he's getting 2nd line minutes on his team.  Last night...another no goal performance.  Filip Johansson...yea, nothing to say there that isn't negative.  So we're still missing in some big ways.  

But we do seem to have some gems from later rounds...in the more immediate sense, Carson Soucy is looking like a nice late round pick albeit 5+ years since we drafted him.  Off in the distance, Brandon Duhaime, Connor Dewar are playing reasonably well in their 1st AHL seasons.  Alexander Khovanov is playing really well in the QMJHL and might be our team's next best prospect after Kaprizov.  After him I'd say Adam Beckman looks like our best next young prospect.  Boudrias has been reasonable as has Giroux.  Ivan Lodnia is having a strong start.  Sam Hentges looks promising...while Nick Swaney has cooled off in his junior year (not a good sign).  Bryce Misley never scores...

Thanks! I read up on every single teams prospects from multiple information sources...but still really nice to read an individual knowledgeable fans perspective. Thanks for taking the time. I dont know the history of the Wild scouts...but I would assume Guerin brought in most of his own guys. I have a good feeling about Guerin...but until he proves himself there is obviously a big question mark...with the prerequisite 3-4 yrs to fully implement the regime change. 

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Thanks! I read up on every single teams prospects from multiple information sources...but still really nice to read an individual knowledgeable fans perspective. Thanks for taking the time. I dont know the history of the Wild scouts...but I would assume Guerin brought in most of his own guys. I have a good feeling about Guerin...but until he proves himself there is obviously a big question mark...with the prerequisite 3-4 yrs to fully implement the regime change. 

I don't think Guerin's brought in anyone yet.

I know Fenton sort of cleaned house after he got here, installing his son PJ Fenton as Head of Amateur Scouting (with a whole three years of NHL experience) and telling a bunch of long time Wild scouts that if they get an offer from another team, they should take it. Blair Mackasey (Head of Professional Scouting) contract wasn't renewed and he left for Philadelphia to follow Fletcher and was replaced by Chris Kelleher, who has been a pro scout for the Wild since 2009. And with the Filip Johansson and Matt Boldy picks, I'm not sure PJ is an upgrade over Guy Lapointe (who was Head of Amateur Scouting)...not that Guy was finding anyone special...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I don't think Guerin's brought in anyone yet.

I know Fenton sort of cleaned house after he got here, installing his son PJ Fenton as Head of Amateur Scouting (with a whole three years of NHL experience) and telling a bunch of long time Wild scouts that if they get an offer from another team, they should take it. Blair Mackasey (Head of Professional Scouting) contract wasn't renewed and he left for Philadelphia to follow Fletcher and was replaced by Chris Kelleher, who has been a pro scout for the Wild since 2009. And with the Filip Johansson and Matt Boldy picks, I'm not sure PJ is an upgrade over Guy Lapointe (who was Head of Amateur Scouting)...not that Guy was finding anyone special...

Yeah...if there is ANY spot to NOT do a quicky nepotism hire...it is head of scouting...lol. 

22 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yeah...if there is ANY spot to NOT do a quicky nepotism hire...it is head of scouting...lol. 

PJ Fenton still has that job, we'll see how long that lasts.  I understand @IllaZilla's apprehension.  I guess I see a lot of clutch plays and for whatever reason I'm more optimistic.  

We lost last game against Tucson with a score 1:4. Robson was in the net. At least I was glad to see in that game both forwards Sokolov and Dewar were back in the team. 
Regarding a GM Guerin on recent visiting Kaprizov, I was not able to watch a video on their main Wild.com website as well as any other videos there. It seems is something wrong with their software. All I was able to find  was a nice link from a Star Tribune regarding his visit to Moscow and also an update on Koivu / Pateryn injuries and on involving our prospects Sturm and Menell into the big club next week for our 3 home games vs Anaheim, Edmonton and Philadelphia teams.
Here is a link to read:http://www.startribune.com/wild-gm-bill-guerin-meets-with-prospect-kirill-kaprizov-in-moscow/565934312/?refresh=true

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

We lost last game against Tucson with a score 1:4. Robson was in the net. At least I was glad to see in that game both forwards Sokolov and Dewar were back in the team. 
Regarding a GM Guerin on recent visiting Kaprizov, I was not able to watch a video on their main Wild.com website as well as any other videos there. It seems is something wrong with their software. All I was able to find  was a nice link from a Star Tribune regarding his visit to Moscow and also an update on Koivu / Pateryn injuries and on involving our prospects Sturm and Menell into the big club next week for our 3 home games vs Anaheim, Edmonton and Philadelphia teams.
Here is a link to read:http://www.startribune.com/wild-gm-bill-guerin-meets-with-prospect-kirill-kaprizov-in-moscow/565934312/?refresh=true

The video worked in my phone:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/video/gm-guerin-on-visiting-kaprizov/t-277437412/c-4773419

What was not mentioned in the article, was that Guerin realised it's going to be a culture shock for Kaprizov. He also didn't want to pressure the kid with deals yet, but wanted him to have a good season with CSKA, and was then confident a good deal can be made after the season. I kind of wish we had another Russian player playing for the big team to help in adjusting when the time comes. Kaprizov has his hands full in adjusting to the game, so he really should have a lot of help in adjusting to the living abroad stuff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

The video worked in my phone:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/video/gm-guerin-on-visiting-kaprizov/t-277437412/c-4773419

What was not mentioned in the article, was that Guerin realised it's going to be a culture shock for Kaprizov. He also didn't want to pressure the kid with deals yet, but wanted him to have a good season with CSKA, and was then confident a good deal can be made after the season. I kind of wish we had another Russian player playing for the big team to help in adjusting when the time comes. Kaprizov has his hands full in adjusting to the game, so he really should have a lot of help in adjusting to the living abroad stuff.

LIG proposed Khovanov. I think it is a good choice for Kaprizov. Actually, both (Kaprizov and Khovanov) personally for me having a Parise style of play and both are young too. Interesting, when I checked recently our main wild.com link (the page who is in our system). They did a nice upgrade regarding stats of our prospects and finally they included Khovanov, who was missing there for a year. I was pleasantly surprised, that they put Kaprizov and Khovanov next to each other on that list. Interesting also fact , that for the first time during 20 years of the Wild history they have in the system a nice amount of Russian players and most of them adjusting well here through the American and Canadian minor leagues. And also agree with LIG, who said despite of our not the best #1 picks during the last 2 years we have a good number of promising late picks to chose from. That means, we have some hockey future for the Wild team.

Boldy didn't make Team USA's WJC roster.  No Wild prospect made Team USA's roster.  So as far as I can tell, Alexander Khovanov (Team Russia) and Hunter Jones (Team Canada) are our only prospects in the WJC's in a few weeks.  

There is starting to be push back from those who are criticizing Boldy's lack of production.  Lots of rationalizations...new league, new teammates, blah, blah blah...

A must win game on a home ice tonight for the Iowa Wild team  against same Tucson Roadrunners team(1st place in the Pacific Division) after our 4 losses in the last 5 games of the regular season.
Regarding a Boldy poor stats in a new team. IMO, it depends of the player mentality/his wills to produce goals. Here is an example, our prospect Nikita Nesterenko started to play this season for a new team Chilliwack Chiefs and having now 25 points in 30 games(10 goals;15 assists). Interesting , that next season Nesterenko is going to play together with Boldy for the Boston College team. Maybe he will able to create some hockey chemistry among them and will be able to boost an interest for Boldy  to play a real hockey?

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

A must win game on a home ice tonight for the Iowa Wild team  against same Tucson Roadrunners team(1st place in the Pacific Division) after our 4 losses in the last 5 games of the regular season.
Regarding a Boldy poor stats in a new team. IMO, it depends of the player mentality/his wills to produce goals. Here is an example, our prospect Nikita Nesterenko started to play this season for a new team Chilliwack Chiefs and having now 25 points in 30 games(10 goals;15 assists). Interesting , that next season Nesterenko is going to play together with Boldy for the Boston College team. Maybe he will able to create some hockey chemistry among them and will be able to boost an interest for Boldy  to play a real hockey?

A must win for Iowa?  Not sure about that.  Important for their confidence?  You bet.  As far as Boldy goes, as a 1st round pick and former USNDT kid, he'd probably get the benefit of the doubt.  They must not feel he'll contribute much...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

A must win for Iowa?  Not sure about that.  Important for their confidence?  You bet.  As far as Boldy goes, as a 1st round pick and former USNDT kid, he'd probably get the benefit of the doubt.  They must not feel he'll contribute much...

Exactly LIG. Reading my mind. Just to build their confidence, because it seems they started to lose it.  Both goalies(Robson and Baribeau) did not show their best performance in a last 5 games and need an extra help from the entire team.

Regarding a candidates to a Team USA WJC roster,I think, instead of Boldy maybe they should pay more close attention to our 2 USA born promising Wild prospects, presenting an interest to the USA team - Lodnia (in 19 games having so far 31 points(15 goals; 16 assists;+/- +9) and Nesterenko (in 30 games having 25 points(10 goals;15 assists)).

8 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Boldy didn't make Team USA's WJC roster.  No Wild prospect made Team USA's roster.  So as far as I can tell, Alexander Khovanov (Team Russia) and Hunter Jones (Team Canada) are our only prospects in the WJC's in a few weeks.  

There is starting to be push back from those who are criticizing Boldy's lack of production.  Lots of rationalizations...new league, new teammates, blah, blah blah...

Kind of funny how Boldy NOT making the US WJC team is being spun as “not a big deal” by the Wild, yet if he had made the roster that would have been a BIG deal...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bear said:

Russo was trying to play it down Donato works out with him in the summer and says hes a stud so Im sold

That’s the thing. I guarantee you Russo would have made a big damn deal over Boldy making the WJC roster if he did...

I mean what is it? A big deal or not?

• Like 1