2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

On 12/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, IllaZilla said:

That was always the knock on Sokolov. That’s why the Wild got him in the seventh round. He doesn’t like to work out. He may have been able to get away with that in juniors because he could score a lot, but at the pro level you are just doing yourself a disservice by not coming into camp in the best possible shape you can. And you are correct. There isn’t much time to get fit during the season. Pre season is for shaking off some of the rust accumulated during the off season, but that is not the time to say “Ok, now I get serious about hitting the weights.” You’re going to be so far behind everyone else (and probably irked the coach) that you’re not going to get ice time. You don’t get ice time, you can’t score. You can’t score, pretty soon the parent club passes you over for someone who will work out and can score goals. And now you blew your chance at making the NHL. Simply because you were lazy. 

I do not think that Sokolov is lazy at all. His coach from the minor league mentioned that he is a respectful hard working player. Probably, he has his personal own body endocrine  reaction on a local food, which is different in comparison to his former Russian food. It will take him awhile to adapt his body to it. I know some people have their own personal reaction to the different food, which they are not used before,and which leads to an elevation of blood sugar, arterial hypertension, body gain.

Our Wild prospect Alexander Khovanov had a primary assist at today game against Germany at World Juniors 2020. Game ended with a score 6:1 for Russia.

The other game in AHL will start soon (at 2:00 p.m. CST). Iowa Wild team will play against Dallas Texas team. Sturm was reassigned to Iowa, because Koivu is back to the Wild..

After the 1st period Iowa Wild 2 : Dallas Texas 1. Kahkonen is in the net.  An interesting rare fact happened during the 1st period on a power play - Sturm put his 7th goal of this season from a 7th assist from Duhaime and a 7th assist from J.T.Brown of this season as well. Wow.

16 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Score after 2 periods is 4:3 for Iowa. Another rare fact happened for our team during the 2 periods of the last game of 2019 year - we were able to place 3 goals out of 3 available power plays.

Wow. Give that PP unit a chance in the Wild jersey.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Wow. Give that PP unit a chance in the Wild jersey.

Hockey-78. I would add even more. The last game of the 2019 year ended with our win. Final score was 5:4 and we again were able to put our winning goal(Menell did) in PP on a last minute of the game. Thus, 4 goals out of 4 power plays. Wow. That was a historic outstanding achievement in one Iowa Wild game.

During the last game on Saturday (01/04/2020) Iowa Wild team was able to put 2 PP goals out of 2 available power plays. That game our team won with a score 5:1 against Chicago Wolves. Mat Robson was in the net and stopped 32 out 33 shots towards his net. Actually, the last 2 games Iowa Wild team won with the same score 5:1.

I really enjoyed your analysis. I believe you correctly put Sturm higher than some hockey "experts" have him slotted.   My only disagreement is on Boldy.  Yes, he's off to a miserable start at BC.  But, IMO he has too much size and skill, combined with his solid work ethic to not eventually get back on track.  

• Like 1

Thanks, a pleasure to read. And giving hope about a positive future for us. If the stars align right we'll have some key players growing in the prospect pool. I like Sturm a lot. He could become an excellent shutdown forward.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Thanks, a pleasure to read. And giving hope about a positive future for us. If the stars align right we'll have some key players growing in the prospect pool. I like Sturm a lot. He could become an excellent shutdown forward.

Agree, we have a hope in our future according to the Wild prospects. Some of them making a solid progress so far, despite they were not drafted under #1 draft, but because of their hard consistent work and their will to play as a part of the big club they could present a more value than our #1 drafts.  

On 1/8/2020 at 9:57 PM, 4Check said:

I really enjoyed your analysis. I believe you correctly put Sturm higher than some hockey "experts" have him slotted.   My only disagreement is on Boldy.  Yes, he's off to a miserable start at BC.  But, IMO he has too much size and skill, combined with his solid work ethic to not eventually get back on track.  

I hate Boldy's skating.  I think at lower levels its less of an issue but at the NHL level it becomes a real big problem.  He's a great stick handler...but he's not scoring for a lack of opportunities at BC.  He's getting plenty of ice time, he's shooting the puck.  But I hope we see a much better 2020 for him than what he did in 2019.  

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I hate Boldy's skating.  I think at lower levels its less of an issue but at the NHL level it becomes a real big problem.  He's a great stick handler...but he's not scoring for a lack of opportunities at BC.  He's getting plenty of ice time, he's shooting the puck.  But I hope we see a much better 2020 for him than what he did in 2019.  

At the start of the season, all the experts were saying don’t panic about Boldy getting off to a slow start unless he hasn’t turned it around by March. March is about a month and a half away now...

• Like 1

Just looked through the eliteprospects.com for the Boldy's stats. He played this season only in 16 games(why? is he injured?or do they play few games per month?); and still his stats are low for the #1 draft(12th overall) - 1 goal;3 assists;+/- +2. That site is also mentioned that he is not the fastest of skaters, which could be his problem too. Hope, he will show more scoring ability till March, but if he will play just 5-10 games more I do not think his stats will be dramatically changed. Something is going on with him; and his skills too.

11 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Just looked through the eliteprospects.com for the Boldy's stats. He played this season only in 16 games(why? is he injured?or do they play few games per month?); and still his stats are low for the #1 draft(12th overall) - 1 goal;3 assists;+/- +2. That site is also mentioned that he is not the fastest of skaters, which could be his problem too. Hope, he will show more scoring ability till March, but if he will play just 5-10 games more I do not think his stats will be dramatically changed. Something is going on with him; and his skills too.

NCAA teams play significantly less games than teams in Canadian Juniors. Right now BC has played 17 total games. So he’s played in every game (Eliteprospects.com just updated their website).
Like @CreaseAndAssistpointed out, he’s getting plenty of ice time and shots. So he’s getting opportunities. It’s not like they stuck him in the fourth line at BC. 
Maybe he’ll be a late bloomer, but right now it looks like a swing and a miss for the Wild scouting department.

Maybe moving from wing to center affected him more that people thought. Not sure why BC did that. But it could also be that he was the beneficiary of playing on a line with Jack Hughes. 
But it is concerning seeing players picked after him (Caufield, Newhook, Krebs, etc.) racking up the points and he’s doing absolutely nothing...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

NCAA teams play significantly less games than teams in Canadian Juniors. Right now BC has played 17 total games. So he’s played in every game (Eliteprospects.com just updated their website).
Like @CreaseAndAssistpointed out, he’s getting plenty of ice time and shots. So he’s getting opportunities. It’s not like they stuck him in the fourth line at BC. 
Maybe he’ll be a late bloomer, but right now it looks like a swing and a miss for the Wild scouting department.

Maybe moving from wing to center affected him more that people thought. Not sure why BC did that. But it could also be that he was the beneficiary of playing on a line with Jack Hughes. 
But it is concerning seeing players picked after him (Caufield, Newhook, Krebs, etc.) racking up the points and he’s doing absolutely nothing...

Well they put him back on the wing, with McBain moving to center.  But again...last night with no points, 5 shots and a -1.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Well they put him back on the wing, with McBain moving to center.  But again...last night with no points, 5 shots and a -1.  

Agree with both IllaZilla and LIG. So far he is doing absolutely nothing. It seems 2nd year in a row is a miss for the Wild scouting department.

Boldy had a big night last night, for him at least.  A goal and an assist.  But still...pretty mundane.  I watched part of his game last night against UMass.  I see a kid that has the lateral quickness to win some of the small races in the offensive zone, but no real speed.  Decent stickhandler...I'll give him that, but not a lot of forward lean.  Kind of a take 2-3 strides and glide kind of a player.  This kid played for the U.S. National Development program where he had the probably the most attentive training a young player could ask for in the U.S. and he's still skating like that.  Boston College is a high quality program as well.  Luckily for them, they have enough other players performing well they don't really have to care too much he's not pulling his weight scoring-wise.  Boldy is tied for 2nd on the team with 54 shots on goal.  

Just to make some easy comparables with other kids he was drafted with in the 1st round last summer that are playing college hockey.  Mind you, these are all kids like Boldy who made the jump from Jr. A or High School to the NCAA ranks.  So all of these kids are freshman, probably all 18 years old...

MATT BOLDY (Boston College) - 2G 4A = 6pts  54 SOG's

Drafted BEFORE Boldy

Alex Turcotte (Wisconsin) - 6G 10A = 16pts  42 SOG's

Trevor Zegras (Boston U.) - 6G 13A = 19pts  46 SOG's

Drafted AFTER Boldy in the 1st round

Alex Newhook (Boston College) - 7G 9A = 15pts  35 SOG's

Cole Caufield (Wisconsin) - 13G 9A = 22pts  86 SOG's

John Beecher (Michigan) - 5G 5A = 10pts  44 SOG's

Forwards Drafted in 2019 AFTER Boldy in the 2nd round or later playing college hockey this year AS FRESHMAN

Shane Pinto (North Dakota) - 10G 6A = 16pts  55 SOG's

Bobby Brink (Denver) - 8G 9A = 17pts  60 SOG's

John Farinacci (Harvard) - 6G 8A = 14pts  24 SOG's

Nick Ambruzzese (Harvard) - 6G 12A = 18pts  31 SOG's

Trevor Janicke (Notre Dame) - 7G 3A = 10pts  51 SOG's

Owen Lindmark (Wisconsin) - 4G 6A = 10pts  19 SOG's

Patrick Moynihan (Providence) - 8G 6A = 14pts  61 SOG's

Aiden McDonough (Northeastern) - 8G 10A = 18pts  41 SOG's

Andre Lee (UMass-Lowell) - 6G 9A = 15pts  48 SOG's

Robert Mastrisimone (Boston U.) - 4G 8A = 12pts  57 SOG's

*Vladislav Firstov (UConn) - 6G 7A = 13pts  39 SOG's 

* - Wild prospect

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting not a simple game for the Iowa Wild team against the same team Bakersfield Condors.
Last game on Sunday we lost to them with a score 2:5. Kahkonen was in the net. It was not his best game as well as for our team too. We had only 16 shots on goal through the entire game.
Why is interesting game tomorrow? Because the last 3 games Condors have in it a Mikael Granlund's brother Markus Granlund, who already has 2 goals and 1 assist. Last game against us he had a goal too. Nice experienced player.

We were able to win tonight the game against Bakersfield Condors with a score 5:2. The team limited Condors only with 19 shots during the game. Kankonen was in the net and was able to stop 17 out of 19 shots towards his net. Iowa Wild team had 35 shots during the game and placed 5 goals. Mayhew had 2 goals and 1 assist (#1 star of the game) and now he is leading the team and entire AHL in scoring with 26 goals. Last year his record was 27 goals during the season. Menell was selected as a #2 star of that game. I think, the trio Mayhew-Sturm- Sokolov could present an interest for many fans of the big club. It is a time for them to get more NHL experience.