Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Kraken Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

TropicalFruitGirl26

2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I know you love these Russian kids, but there must be something else going on with Sokolov. A bunch of people asked Russo last night what’s the deal with Sokolov and he wasn’t sure. He said he looked in great shape conditioning-wise. So there must be something else with his game. He hinted that it was his skating that hasn’t improved. He also stated that there’s other reasons projected first rounders drop to the seventh round. 

No, the problem is more global. Sincerely, I had some hope before, but lost yesterday any interest/finished to watch and listened on a radio games of Iowa Wild team after they sent Sokolov to ECHL. I know many fans around the world will do the same because of that an idiotic strategy for the youngsters, especially regarding Russian players, who started to bring a lot of interest/intrigue to that team. Personally for me, the Wild GM Bill Guerin is a progressive manager, because drafted this season few Russian players having a nice potential. But I am not sure now about their future here, especially for signed Sokolov, Khovanov, Lodnia, Gordeev, Falkovsky, and not signed Kaprizov, Svetlakov, Guskov, Nesterenko, Firstov. I am very skeptical at this moment based on watching strange decisions in 2 years made by those people - 2 head coaches (Bruce Boudreau and Tim Army) and Iowa Wild GM Tom Kurvers, who, it seems, are just a haters of Russian players based on a massive idiotic zombied anti-Russian propaganda. Still remember how Boudreau was trying to move down to lower lines or even to bench the highly productive Alexander Ovechkin and finally he lost his position/was fired, because the Capitals owner was smarter than Boudreau and looked better to the team’s future. So far making a conclusion, as long as they are here (2 coaches and Iowa Wild GM), we will not see any Russian players in both clubs. Wish that those 2 coaches and Iowa Wild GM will be removed out the system sooner than later, because they are losing lots of fans around the world.

 

I will not have any messages regarding Iowa Wild team any more. Done with that part of my life. It seems the Iowa coach Tim Army was not able to find any solid and friendly communication with Sokolov. Dmitry was in a very good shape: played tremendously well during the Summer Camps and the Traverse City Tournament; 50 goals scorer in OHL played pretty well and had very good stats(16 goals;14 assists in 60 games) in the 4th line last season in our AHL team; unfortunately, was included only in one out of 12 playoffs games last year; unfortunately, was included only in one out of 8 games of the 2019-2020 regular season (had 6 shots in that single game);unfortunately, was not included into any preseason Wild games as well as Lodnia and Guskov. Lodnia was even not tried in any AHL games and was sent back to OHL. Hope, Sokolov will be traded to Carolina and will play with Soshnikov who had a beautiful chemistry together in OHL, by producing multiple goals per season there. Or maybe he will find an interesting NHL or KHL club by the help of his agent. Just do not want to listen more about his shape from any one , but should look on a shape of Tarasenko, who still is the best highly scoring player for the Blues. Probably, Radulov punished the Wild team(3 goals;1 assist;10 shots) yesterday just for Sokolov.

 

Do not know what to say more – the big club evidently is not producing enough for years, but highly producing promising prospects are diminishing their roles for nothing in our system, because of a stupid decisions of their coaches or GM. That is a global problem for this organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

No, the problem is more global. Sincerely, I had some hope before, but lost yesterday any interest/finished to watch and listened on a radio games of Iowa Wild team after they sent Sokolov to ECHL. I know many fans around the world will do the same because of that an idiotic strategy for the youngsters, especially regarding Russian players, who started to bring a lot of interest/intrigue to that team. Personally for me, the Wild GM Bill Guerin is a progressive manager, because drafted this season few Russian players having a nice potential. But I am not sure now about their future here, especially for signed Sokolov, Khovanov, Lodnia, Gordeev, Falkovsky, and not signed Kaprizov, Svetlakov, Guskov, Nesterenko, Firstov. I am very skeptical at this moment based on watching strange decisions in 2 years made by those people - 2 head coaches (Bruce Boudreau and Tim Army) and Iowa Wild GM Tom Kurvers, who, it seems, are just a haters of Russian players based on a massive idiotic zombied anti-Russian propaganda. Still remember how Boudreau was trying to move down to lower lines or even to bench the highly productive Alexander Ovechkin and finally he lost his position/was fired, because the Capitals owner was smarter than Boudreau and looked better to the team’s future. So far making a conclusion, as long as they are here (2 coaches and Iowa Wild GM), we will not see any Russian players in both clubs. Wish that those 2 coaches and Iowa Wild GM will be removed out the system sooner than later, because they are losing lots of fans around the world.

 

I will not have any messages regarding Iowa Wild team any more. Done with that part of my life. It seems the Iowa coach Tim Army was not able to find any solid and friendly communication with Sokolov. Dmitry was in a very good shape: played tremendously well during the Summer Camps and the Traverse City Tournament; 50 goals scorer in OHL played pretty well and had very good stats(16 goals;14 assists in 60 games) in the 4th line last season in our AHL team; unfortunately, was included only in one out of 12 playoffs games last year; unfortunately, was included only in one out of 8 games of the 2019-2020 regular season (had 6 shots in that single game);unfortunately, was not included into any preseason Wild games as well as Lodnia and Guskov. Lodnia was even not tried in any AHL games and was sent back to OHL. Hope, Sokolov will be traded to Carolina and will play with Soshnikov who had a beautiful chemistry together in OHL, by producing multiple goals per season there. Or maybe he will find an interesting NHL or KHL club by the help of his agent. Just do not want to listen more about his shape from any one , but should look on a shape of Tarasenko, who still is the best highly scoring player for the Blues. Probably, Radulov punished the Wild team(3 goals;1 assist;10 shots) yesterday just for Sokolov.

 

Do not know what to say more – the big club evidently is not producing enough for years, but highly producing promising prospects are diminishing their roles for nothing in our system, because of a stupid decisions of their coaches or GM. That is a global problem for this organization.

Appreciate your passion!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's huge differences in the hockey cultures of Russia and North America. The success other teams have had with Russian players shows that the differences are not impossible to deal with. The lack of success we have had with Russian players shows just the fact that this is yet another process in the organisation  that is not working as well as in other teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a next strange decision of Tim Army yesterday. Is that normal, when yesterday our new AHL rookie Connor Dewar( almost a 40 goal scorer in minor leagues) was benched again because Mayhew and Dumont were reassigned back to Iowa? Why Tim Army did not bench the players who are not presenting any future interest for the team? Mayhew(2 goals in 6 games for the Wild and 5 goals;4 assists in 5 Iowa Wild games this season)  and Dumont were playing well in the big club last week and yesterday each put 2 goals for the Iowa team in the win in OT. Like I said before - what Mayhew(26 y.o.) is doing in Iowa Wild team when he supposed to be playing for 2 years already in the big club? Why we do not bench Parise, Koivu, Fiala, Donato, Greenway, Ek because they are not producing goals and place instead of some of them Mayhew who did produced 2 goals in few Wild games and consistently producing goals in AHL 4th year in a row ? That was a question to other head coach - Bruce Boudreau. And why do we sign mediocre players from other teams without seeing and diminishing our own treasure? That is the way how 2 mediocre teams(Wild and Iowa Wild) are developing for decades. It seems we do  have 2 blind coaches working simultaneously bad in 2 teams, because both coaches are not capable to find and to resurface the promising talented seedlings towards the production as in AHL as well as in NHL. Why we need always to look for the trash outside, but not for the treasure inside? Just do not believe, that the young highly scoring players for decades in minor leagues, became a waste in AHL and NHL. No doubt, it seems the coaching staff is weak physically and psychologically in both clubs. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight is a first game for Dmitry Sokolov  at the Allen Americans team in ECHL against the Rapid City Rush team. It seems a portion of players(I recognize their names) from this team are rotating between Iowa Wild and Allen Americans during the season. Through the official Allen Americans Hockey web site I started to listen tonight game and through the official ECHL game center I follow the teams stats during the game. After 2 periods score is so far 2:1. Sokolov has1 goal already and the most shots for the team 8. We out shot the opposite team  in shots 29 vs 24. Kind of expensive packages for the live  ECHL TV even in comparison to the live AHL TV package. Do not know why. Last year Allen Americans team missed the playoffs. Hope this year, with the help of Sokolov they will make it.

 

Here is a link to the ECHL game center for that game:

 

Hidden Content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allen Americans team won that game with a final score 3:2 in OT. Shots 42 vs 39.Gabriel Gagne put a winning goal in OT. 3 stars of the game - Gagne, Guptill and Sokolov. Sokolov also had  the most shots for the team (total 9 shots) in that game. Commentators said that maybe they will see him only for a couple games there. And the team looked better and different with him, especially when he was included in PP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My interest came back to the Iowa Wild team as soon as Sokolov was reassigned back to Iowa after 2 games of play for the Allen Americans(ECHL) and had 1 goal and 13 shots towards the opposite net. Interesting that both (Dmitry Sokolov and Connor Dewar) were included last game, which was nice to see and both played pretty well. The Iowa team won that game against Ontario Reign with a score 3:0. Mayhew put his 8th goal of the season there(and has 8 goals;4 assists; +/- +5 in 10 games). Sturm scored 2 games in a row and has 4 goals already. Mat Robson had his first shutout in AHL. That win against Ontario team stopped the team's 3 games loosing streak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the stats on that game. Embellishment roughing boarding elbowing. Good players in that league but also some ass clowns with zero respect for the game or their opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far,  I am the most impressed about the stats of 2 our prospects:

1.Alexander Khovanov - the forward, who had in August a benign bone tumor resection and who missed this year a Traverse City Tournament and the Fall training Camp is having now 34 points in 17 games: 14 goals; 20 assists;+/- +20;

2.Kirill Kaprizov - in 24 games having 26 points: 13 goals;13 assists;+/- +10.

 

Here is a recent link to the article regarding a Khovanov's play. Please, look to his PNHLe table in that article which merit our attention as a very valuable NHL player. According to that table - he is a superstar potential player:

Hidden Content

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good! The one worrying thing there being that the page states his skating needs developing. With Kaprizov entering the Wild next season we would do well with trying to get other Russians to the team. That might help with the problems of adapting. Teemu Selanne said of his adjustment as a rookie that everything needs to be done for the rookie, so that he can think only about one thing: hockey. It might be pampering the player, but the circumstances are hugely demanding (language, culture, differing hockey cultures, room dynamics, media pressure, fan reactions, etc). Perhaps we'll one day see a Khovanov - Kaprizov duo in the Wild.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Looking good! The one worrying thing there being that the page states his skating needs developing. With Kaprizov entering the Wild next season we would do well with trying to get other Russians to the team. That might help with the problems of adapting. Teemu Selanne said of his adjustment as a rookie that everything needs to be done for the rookie, so that he can think only about one thing: hockey. It might be pampering the player, but the circumstances are hugely demanding (language, culture, differing hockey cultures, room dynamics, media pressure, fan reactions, etc). Perhaps we'll one day see a Khovanov - Kaprizov duo in the Wild.

I hope so. Definitely, it will be a differently looking team - more mobile, more attractive, more productive. Regarding his skating - it will come well, like we have seen that for a Granlund skating. Sincerely and sadly, I missed Granlund here - he was one of the best/superb play makers for this team. So far, I think, he was a better fit here, than for the Nashville team there. Especially, I liked him because he was our own draft/creation like Zucker and Dumba are. In general, just my personal preference, raising an interest - I always like the team development/progress based mainly(about 60 -70%) on their own selected drafts,especially, including goalies drafts too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure wish Kaprizov can answer our hopes. If he does, that could have an effect on the organisation as a whole. More Russian players would mean more offense, surprise and creativity. If we would manage to combine the best sides of the Wild's defensively solid base that Lemaire built with the best sides of Russian hockey, that would be a team hard to stop. Offense, defence and mobility.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news...Matt Boldy again scoreless on Friday.  2 shots on goal.  He has 1 goal in 10 games on almost 40 shots.  Playing 2nd line center for Boston College.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

In other news...Matt Boldy again scoreless on Friday.  2 shots on goal.  He has 1 goal in 10 games on almost 40 shots.  Playing 2nd line center for Boston College.  

Agree LIG. Not exciting about Boldy's stats at all who started to play for the Boston College team this season. For the National US team he played much better before. I am not impressed a lot about Firstov stats too(2 goals;3 assists in 9 games) who started to play this season for the University of Connecticut team. Probably , school is affecting on their brains more than hockey. Interesting that  next year , Nesterenko is going to play together with Boldy for the Boston College team and we will see or they will be able to build a nice chemistry together or his stats will be similar to the Boldy's stats. Time will show who will expose their talent better to our fans and who will not.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

History repeating itself? Another lousy first round pick?!? Can't be. No-one is this unlucky. He's probably playing hurt in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the 1st period score is 1:0 against Chicago Wolves.  Sokolov was able to put his 1st goal (in his 3rd game of this season) and almost put a second one at the end of the 1st period. Kahkonen is in the net. Shots on goal 16 for Iowa vs 8 for Chicago team after the 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sokolov just put his 2nd goal at the mid of the second period. Kyle Bauman has 2 primary assists for both Sokolov's goals. Score is 2:0; shots 24 vs 12 so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Sokolov just put his 2nd goal at the mid of the second period. Kyle Bauman has 2 primary assists for both Sokolov's goals. Score is 2:0; shots 24 vs 12 so far.

Score is still 2:0 ; shots 28 vs 12 after 40 minutes of play on a road game against Chicago Wolves. Sokolov has 5 shots already in 2 periods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won this game with a final score 3:0. Thompson was able to put a goal(his 1st in Iowa Wild uniform) during a 3rd period. Our team recorded its second shutout in a row with the same score. Kahkonen recorded his 2nd shutout this season(8th shutout in his AHL career) by stopping 22 shots during this game. Overall we had 32 shots vs Chicago's 22 shots. Our defenseman Josh Atkinson had 2 secondary assists in that game also. Three stars of the game: Sokolov(2 goals;5 shots;+/- +3); Bauman(2 primary assists;+/- +3); Kahkonen (22 saves; SO).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't keep up with the Iowa Wild. I thought Sokolov was sent back to some lesser team, and now he's there being the first star with 2 goals and +/- +3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

I just can't keep up with the Iowa Wild. I thought Sokolov was sent back to some lesser team, and now he's there being the first star with 2 goals and +/- +3?

Yes. Sokolov was for a couple games in ECHL(Allen Americans team) and even there he was a star player in one game by placing one goal and making 9 shots on goal in that game.  I had a chance to listen those both games on a radio. And now he is a star here, after playing surprisingly only a 3rd game in AHL this season. Actually, I am happy, when both players Sokolov and Dewar are involved in the game(they played last game and tonight game, which we won with 2 shutouts), then the team is looking more solid and presenting more interest, more attraction, in my opinion. 

Edited by Alexandron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sokolov lighting the lamp twice is a great sign.  Perhaps he's being helped that Mayhew's probably grabbing the defensive attention of most teams these days?!?!  

 

On the flip side...Boldy again no points, 3 shots on goal.  I know have some have talked about the adjustment to playing center but if you're still getting shots and you're not burying them is that really all because of that switch?  Seems more like rationalization for a guy who is supposedly such a great finisher.  Whether this is fair or not...here are two guys that were drafted AFTER the Wild took Boldy with the 12th Overall pick this summer.  

 

Cole Caufield (WIS) - 9G 6A = 15pts

Alex Newhook (BC) - 5G 3A = 8pts

 

Matt Boldy (BC) - 1G = 1pt  

 

Thankfully Beckman, Khovanov and Lodnia are off to fast starts in their respective leagues / teams.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to see Sokolov scoring. Would be interesting to hear why he was basically "benched" the first month of the season and then sent to the ECHL.

 

Still not sure why BC decided Boldy makes a better center than left wing, especially since he played left wing all through his USNTDP career. Even though GMBG is a BC alum, he can't be happy with this...

 

And I really hope they keep all these guys in Iowa for the season, barring injury call ups. Let them mature at their own pace and don't rush them. The parent club really isn't going anywhere, so why expose these guys that are on a winning club to the mess that the Wild currently are...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

It's nice to see Sokolov scoring. Would be interesting to hear why he was basically "benched" the first month of the season and then sent to the ECHL.

 

Still not sure why BC decided Boldy makes a better center than left wing, especially since he played left wing all through his USNTDP career. Even though GMBG is a BC alum, he can't be happy with this...

 

And I really hope they keep all these guys in Iowa for the season, barring injury call ups. Let them mature at their own pace and don't rush them. The parent club really isn't going anywhere, so why expose these guys that are on a winning club to the mess that the Wild currently are...

 

 

 

Think it was partly a role-based decision.  Iowa had the speedy checkers to fill in the Bottom 6.  Sokolov doesn't really fit that skillset, he's more of a top 6 or bust kind of player.  And at the time there were few spots available on the top 6 based on who else was there.  Although I must admit I was surprised that he didn't get that chance even when we called up Mayhew and Dumont.  You think that should've opened the door, but as you noted...it didn't.  

 

We'll see what happens now.  He played again last night, didn't have any goals but he did register some shots on goal.  You know you and I see eye to eye on the development plan of keeping them in Iowa as long as we can.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

It's nice to see Sokolov scoring. Would be interesting to hear why he was basically "benched" the first month of the season and then sent to the ECHL.

 

Still not sure why BC decided Boldy makes a better center than left wing, especially since he played left wing all through his USNTDP career. Even though GMBG is a BC alum, he can't be happy with this...

 

And I really hope they keep all these guys in Iowa for the season, barring injury call ups. Let them mature at their own pace and don't rush them. The parent club really isn't going anywhere, so why expose these guys that are on a winning club to the mess that the Wild currently are...

 

 

The same question I would like to ask regarding Connor Dewar, who was benched before most of the time in Iowa. He had his first 2 points in AHL yesterday (1 goal;1 assist;+/- +2) in the 3:4 loss game against Chicago Wolves. Mat Robson in that game(not his best one) stopped only 19 shots out of 23 shots towards his net. But we outshot/dominated above Chicago team 34 vs 23 in that game, and the team, in my opinion, became better since we started to use both Sokolov and Dewar. So far, I think, that our team also became a real contender for the Calder Cup this season. 
 The same question I would like to ask regarding Ivan Lodnia, who was benched for awhile in Iowa and then was sent to OHL without any tryout games here. Lodnia is shining now in OHL(for Niagara IceDogs) -  in 11 played games has 18 points(10 goals;8 assists;+/- +4).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      Hidden Content   I went through and did a deep dive on the Minnesota Wild's prospect pool.  Enjoy and discuss...
    • 3
      Post
      Kind of funny how Boldy NOT making the US WJC team is being spun as “not a big deal” by the Wild, yet if he had made the roster that would have been a BIG deal...
    • 2
      Post
      I didn't get a chance to listen to this game because I was coaching football last night.  But it sounds like they eeked out a win in the last minute.  Dumont scored and Mayhew...two guys who will probably be the workhorse of this Iowa team.  Belpedio had a good game too.  I also hope Brown accepts the demotion and is a positive leader there too.  Duhaime, Dewar and the other kids will get their chances...but the vets can carry a lot of the mail.  Nice start for Iowa.  
    • 2
      Post
      Hidden Content   Here is a complete overview of what the Wild prospects and Iowa was up to this weekend.  Enjoy.  
    • 2
      Post
      Appreciate your passion!
    • 2
      Post
      Gerald Mayhew is named the best AHL player of the Month for January, where he recorded 19 points(12 goals;7 assists) in 11 games. He is the first player in Iowa Wild history  to receive the player of the Month recognition and second in Iowa to earn an AHL monthly award (other was Kaapo Kahkonen).  Here is an article to read about his achievements: Hidden Content      

Game Room 1

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...