2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

15 hours ago, Alexandron said:

The same question I would like to ask regarding Connor Dewar, who was benched before most of the time in Iowa. He had his first 2 points in AHL yesterday (1 goal;1 assist;+/- +2) in the 3:4 loss game against Chicago Wolves. Mat Robson in that game(not his best one) stopped only 19 shots out of 23 shots towards his net. But we outshot/dominated above Chicago team 34 vs 23 in that game, and the team, in my opinion, became better since we started to use both Sokolov and Dewar. So far, I think, that our team also became a real contender for the Calder Cup this season. 
 The same question I would like to ask regarding Ivan Lodnia, who was benched for awhile in Iowa and then was sent to OHL without any tryout games here. Lodnia is shining now in OHL(for Niagara IceDogs) -  in 11 played games has 18 points(10 goals;8 assists;+/- +4).

Dewar had a decent game on Sunday.  My guess is he'll get more opportunities.  I trust Tim Army knows what he's doing and he's putting the best team on the ice that he can.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Dewar had a decent game on Sunday.  My guess is he'll get more opportunities.  I trust Tim Army knows what he's doing and he's putting the best team on the ice that he can.  

I hope so. Sometimes, I am dreaming , maybe Tim Army would be a better fit in the big club for creating a more strict an army conditions for the players , like I have seen successfully for the Red Army Club during the USSR time. Their results were outstanding then.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I hope so. Sometimes, I am dreaming , maybe Tim Army would be a better fit in the big club for creating a more strict an army conditions for the players , like I have seen successfully for the Red Army Club during the USSR time. Their results were outstanding then.

Did I understand correctly that you have a background in CSKA? In hockey or other sports?

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Yeah, then. I cannot imagine how these millennials would react if someone told them, ahem, SHOUTED not to play Fortnite and drink Coke. They'd probably go on strike... and then they'd be told they're not even allowed to do that.

"Do as you're told to or go to jail and never see your family".

I miss the 80's but I don't think every Russian does...

Interesting article in the Athletic about the Wild goaltending situation...

https://theathletic.com/1389992/2019/11/19/wild-goalie-future-devan-dubnyk-alex-stalock-kahkonen-robson-jones/ (subscription required)

Guerin preaching patience with Kahkonen, Robson, or Jones.

Wild goalie coach Bob Mason echoed that. Basically stating you bring a goalie up when they can handle it and not before. And when they are up here, they need ice time. Makes no sense to stick them behind Dubnyk or Stalock. Says that's what happened to Kuemper, he got stuck behind Dubnyk. Mason felt Kuemper was always a decent goalie, and now that he's getting the reps in Arizona, he's showing what he can do.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Did I understand correctly that you have a background in CSKA? In hockey or other sports?

CSKA was the best club then and was my favorite one for me as a fan. And still CSKA is the best club in KHL(#1 now) because it kept a nice famous history and traditions. Both our Wild prospects Kaprizov and Svetlakov are playing successfully there; both players reached 2 years  in a row a Gagarin Cup; and one time won it (this 2019 year) . When we will see at least one of them in Minnesota, unfortunately, no one knows.

• Like 1

Iowa Wild team lost tonight game against Milwaukee Admirals team in SO with a score 5:6. Kahkonen was in the net,who stopped 29 out of 34 shots. Our team was not able to hold the 5:3 score and lost 2 goals in a last 2 minutes of the game.6 our players each had 2 points in that game(Bartkowsky;J.T.Brown;Dumont;Rau;Menell;Anas).

• Uggh... 1

16 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Wonder what the deal is with Sokolov. Seems the kid is doing what they are asking (scoring). Too many veterans on the team? Or is he showing an attitude that is getting him sat down?

I still think its about the role he can play.  They like their bottom 6.  And they really only have room there.  Personally I think they could really use him on the power play which hasn't been nearly the steamroller it was last year.  

In other prospect news.  Ivan Lodnia has 9 goals, 20 points in 12 games which isn't too shabby.  

We had a win tonight against Bakersfield Condors with a score 4:2. Mayhew had his 10th goal of the season and Dewar his 2nd. Robson was in the net and was able to stop 21 out of 23 shots towards our net. Sokolov again was benched. Agree LIG, they can use him more on a power play. Why did they take so many their bottom 6 this summer, which filled the room there? Still is a question for me. Sokolov for me like a Fiala with his personal individual play. They should start to build a chemistry with someone who is able to read his play.

I see Matthew Boldy had zero points in BC's 4-2 come from behind win against Harvard...still sitting at 2 points in 14 games...

Meanwhile Cole Caufield has 16 points (9g, 7a) in 14 games for the University of Wisconsin...

Fenton a superscout my 🤬...

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

I am listening now a game of Iowa Wild team against a Texas Stars team.  We are losing so far with a score 3:4 in 5 minutes remaining of the game. Last game we lost on Tuesday against the same team with a score 3:7. Texas Stars stats are  not as good (12 points=5-13-0-2) in comparison to ours(26 points=11-5-2-2), but we were able to lose 11 goals in 2 games against that team. Robson was in the net in both games. Why we did not tried Baribeau in one of these games as a starter or  to try to replace Robson at least once during the game, because his stats will be getting worse? Maybe our rookie needs some rest? Or not help to him enough from the entire team, especially from the defense?

And the final score remained the same 3:4. Sad results so far.  

Edited by Alexandron

10 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am listening now a game of Iowa Wild team against a Texas Stars team.  We are losing so far with a score 3:4 in 5 minutes remaining of the game. Last game we lost on Tuesday against the same team with a score 3:7. Texas Stars stats are  not as good (12 points=5-13-0-2) in comparison to ours(26 points=11-5-2-2), but we were able to lose 11 goals in 2 games against that team. Robson was in the net in both games. Why we did not tried Baribeau in one of these games as a starter or  to try to replace Robson at least once during the game, because his stats will be getting worse? Maybe our rookie needs some rest? Or not help to him enough from the entire team, especially from the defense?

And the final score remained the same 3:4. Sad results so far.  

It's not about stats with Robson, it's experience. He's going to run into situations like this where the defense takes the night off and he's going to have to stand tall for the team. Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't. But you have to give him more than one bad game to decide if he's got a future in the organization. And Baribeau isn't exactly the second coming of M.A. Fleury.

They're running the Iowa Wild like any other hockey team. Robson is the starter and Baribeau is the backup. Baribeau will probably pick up the second game of any back-to-back games the Iowa Wild have here until Kahkonen returns. Maybe he starts today since they played last night and it's a 3:00 PM start today in San Antonio.

• Like 1

Baribeau (our current backup goaltender for the Iowa Wild team) had his first professional win in AHL by stopping 30 shots out 32 against a Saint Antonio Rampage team last Sunday. Score was 3:2. Sturm had 2 goals; Anas -  3 assists; and Menell - 2 assists in that game. Next game is early tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.CST against the same Rampage team.

LIG nicely presented in a post gamer against the Stars the recent stats for some of our prospects from the minor leagues. I said this before and I am still the most impressed about Alexander Khovanov stats this season, who is having 45 points in 23 games (19 goals; 26 assists; +/- + 28). I do not remember from our youngsters before such a high +/- stats and having practically 2 points per game.

And Lodnia is doing a pretty good job too, who is having 27 points in 16 games (13 goals;14 assists; +/- + 9).

• Like 1

Khovanov is expected to be Team Russia's Top line center for the WJC's.  Although they may not want him there when they see his ability to win faceoffs, or in this case the lackthereof.  He was 3-for-18 in his last game on his draws.  Its good to see him be productive; both goal scoring and assists but he still has the tendency to take foolish penalties.  

On 12/1/2019 at 8:02 AM, IllaZilla said:

It's not about stats with Robson, it's experience. He's going to run into situations like this where the defense takes the night off and he's going to have to stand tall for the team. Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't. But you have to give him more than one bad game to decide if he's got a future in the organization. And Baribeau isn't exactly the second coming of M.A. Fleury.

They're running the Iowa Wild like any other hockey team. Robson is the starter and Baribeau is the backup. Baribeau will probably pick up the second game of any back-to-back games the Iowa Wild have here until Kahkonen returns. Maybe he starts today since they played last night and it's a 3:00 PM start today in San Antonio.

I 100% agree with @IllaZilla in regards to his points about our young goalies.  Its not about the stats.  Its about the chance to play and provide solid minutes for their respective teams.  Jones apparently got invited to Team Canada's camp which is a good sign too.  Robson playing a lot in Kahkonen's absence is great, but mostly because it gives him a chance to play in consecutive starts.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Khovanov is expected to be Team Russia's Top line center for the WJC's.  Although they may not want him there when they see his ability to win faceoffs, or in this case the lackthereof.  He was 3-for-18 in his last game on his draws.  Its good to see him be productive; both goal scoring and assists but he still has the tendency to take foolish penalties.  

Khovanov probably will be a Svechnikov's type player , who had a very nice stats when played in OHL as well as is having now for Carolina , but lots of PIM. Interesting, that Khovanov , according to his stats now is a 3rd player in goals and a 5th player in points of the entire QMJHL league. Kind of proud of his character, of his evident progress in a last 3 seasons after the treatment of his hepatitis and a bone tumor resection. Hopefully,  Khovanov's PIM will go down with his age and a more professional experience. I have feelings, if everything will go well for him, he will get his permanent place in a big club faster than usual. Hope , next season like Svechnikov had for Carolina last year.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Its my read he gets lots unsportsmanlike penalties.  That won't endear him to coaches.  

That's true. Hope, Khovanov will calm down with his age. I am also thinking that he needs to change the league to a more professional one, at least to AHL. When he played for the very tough Ak Bars Kazan team in U-16 and in MHL his PIM were about 3 times less as he is having now. As well as during 2 seasons in our Summer Camp and during a Traverse City Tournament last season he also did not do anything wrong during his play. This season he missed a Traverse City Tournament because of his bone surgery. Actually, his play reminds a Parise play.

Interesting , how small is our world. Just looked through the official Moncton Wildcats site where Alexander Khovanov is playing very successfully.  Their team so far is on a 3rd place of the entire league with 42 points in 27 games(21 wins;6 losses) and has 0 lost games in OT and SO. Who do you think is a Head Coach and a Hockey Operations Director of this team ? He is our former Wild interim Head Coach and a former SCKA, Moscow Head Coach John Torchetti. Wow.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alexandron said:

That's true. Hope, Khovanov will calm down with his age. I am also thinking that he needs to change the league to a more professional one, at least to AHL. When he played for the very tough Ak Bars Kazan team in U-16 and in MHL his PIM were about 3 times less as he is having now. As well as during 2 seasons in our Summer Camp and during a Traverse City Tournament last season he also did not do anything wrong during his play. This season he missed a Traverse City Tournament because of his bone surgery. Actually, his play reminds a Parise play.

Interesting , how small is our world. Just looked through the official Moncton Wildcats site where Alexander Khovanov is playing very successfully.  Their team so far is on a 3rd place of the entire league with 42 points in 27 games(21 wins;6 losses) and has 0 lost games in OT and SO. Who do you think is a Head Coach and a Hockey Operations Director of this team ? He is our former Wild interim Head Coach and a former SCKA, Moscow Head Coach John Torchetti. Wow.

And I think anyone that knows Torchetti, if someone were to ask him about Khovanov, they will get a pretty damn honest appraisal of him.  I liked Torchetti, its a shame the players didn't like him.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

And I think anyone that knows Torchetti, if someone were to ask him about Khovanov, they will get a pretty damn honest appraisal of him.  I liked Torchetti, its a shame the players didn't like him.  

Agree. It is a shame. I liked him too and was hoping that he will get at least a one year contract as a coach for our team.  Maybe he did not find some understanding with some of the players? Personally for me, he still is a pretty experienced coach. Results usually are talking themselves - when Yeo was fired  after the Wild was losing about 12 out of 14 games in a row in January, then Torchetti  somehow was able to bring our team to the playoffs spot. His current results as a Head Coach of the Moncton Wildcats are impressing too, especially zero OT and SO losses with 21 wins;6 losses in 27 games. Definitely, Torchetti will be able to tell honestly about Khovanov, who is the best player for this team so far with all his pluses and minuses.