2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

Yes he is, but I don't know how, or how serious it is.

He was hurt trying to clear a puck out of the net that had already gone in during the February 28, 2020 San Jose game. He kind of twisted back to grab the puck and sustained an upper body injury. Reported as a broken bone, so he may miss the rest of the season...

Just now, Hockey-78 said:

Well, there goes Iowa's season then.

Agree. I am not sure if Mat Robson will be able to step up well for the team and his back up goalie Baribeau too. Now their success will depends more from the team. To help them as in defense as well as in offense/ to produce enough goals especially during the crucial month of March and during playoffs (if the team will make to it). 

31 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

He was hurt trying to clear a puck out of the net that had already gone in during the February 28, 2020 San Jose game. He kind of twisted back to grab the puck and sustained an upper body injury. Reported as a broken bone, so he may miss the rest of the season...

Thanks for the info. Those are pretty sad news, because it will take awhile to restore Kahkonen's superb previous level of play.

Edited by Alexandron

Sokolov is not playing already 2 games in a row. Is he injured?

At least our team finally won last  game today after losing few games in a row without Kahkonen. It seems Robson  started to get some confidence.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, lynxrattle said:

Robson seems to be a promising goalie. The good thing in Kähkönen's injury is that Robson gets some experience needed.

He is getting better/more focused and the team is playing better around him too. Otherwise, without that, we will have a chance to miss Calder Cup playoffs after such a strong regular season this year.

• 3 months later...

Per Russo, Khovanov signs a 1-year deal to play in the KHL even though he's under contract with the Minnesota Wild.  Has the ability to return to North America whenever play resumes here during the 2020-21 season.  

The things he needs to work on...

~ Stop taking needless retaliatory penalties

~ Playing with more pace - too much floating in his game.  

He could improve a lot of things at Ak Bars Kazan club. That team is such a toughest team in KHL with a very long pretty good winning history(3 times Gagarin Cup winner in a last decade). I am still impressed about tremendously improved Khovanov's  +/- stats when he had +58 and 99 points in 52 played games this season. No one in a Wild history had these stats in that period of time. It would be nice to see Khovanov some day playing together with Fiala and Kaprizov for the Wild team. It could be in a future pretty nice offensively minded  line because, no doubt, all 3 have a real professional talent and capable to bring intrigue into the Wild play.

I guess Ivan Lodnia is also playing in the KHL next year too; on loan to play for Dinamo Minsk.  I think its a foolish move on his part; he must've felt either he wanted to make money sooner or that the lineup in Iowa is a bit crowded.  

I was intrigued seeing him play on a line with Connor Dewar and Brandon Duhaime but now that won't happen.  

Also, the Iowa Wild signed back Mitch McLain too.  

On 7/22/2020 at 7:28 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

I guess Ivan Lodnia is also playing in the KHL next year too; on loan to play for Dinamo Minsk.  I think its a foolish move on his part; he must've felt either he wanted to make money sooner or that the lineup in Iowa is a bit crowded.  

I was intrigued seeing him play on a line with Connor Dewar and Brandon Duhaime but now that won't happen.  

Also, the Iowa Wild signed back Mitch McLain too.  

Agree. That would be a nice intriguing line - Lodnia-Dewar-Duhaime. LIG, You are probably right regarding his decision or because the crowded lineup in Iowa for the next season. Dinamo Minsk is not a bad KHL team. With that team he could get some nice experience by playing in KHL. It seems our Wild  club will receive in the future more players which had an additional very valuable experience from KHL. Nice. Not many NHL teams are having that option.

• 1 month later...

I started to look for our prospect stats Toronto native Fedor Gordeev at eliteprospects.com and other internet sites, but I did not find him for this 2020-2021 season. Where he is going to play? What happened with him? He played for 5 seasons in OHL for 3 teams. With a last one team  Guelph Storm he became an OHL champion (gold medal) in 2018-2019. He is a pretty good size defenseman (6'7"; 225 lbs), controlling pretty well his stick and a puck, having a superb speed. Gradually in years his stats are improved. Last season he had the most assists in his career -  in 51 games 28 assists;4 goals; +/- +3. In my opinion, it is a time for him to move at least to AHL Iowa Wild team. I liked also a lot how he played together last year at our summer training camp with forwards Khovanov, Lodnia,Sturm as a team.

Here are his impressive highlights for the 2017-2018 year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liqvS1PyNXg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

Nice highlights! The assist at 1:52 of the clip made me smile. First he makes the opponent's line look ridiculous by dancing around everyone and then fools the goalie by passing to an open linemate at the goal post.

He did the same things at our summer camp a year ago. Wish to see him here as soon as possible. His 28 assists last season as a defenseman merit our attention as well as his size. Probably, Fiala will be happy to play with him, because he does the same things. But where is Gordeev? I could not find him.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Wild Wire: Forward Forecast" article was published recently at the Iowa Wild main page:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/wild-wire-forward-forecast

An interesting important notes regarding Mayhew, Dumont, Johnson there and some other our AHL players. It would be sad if we will lose Mayhew to other 30 teams if we will "cut" him from the training camp this fall. 

Hope , we will see soon "The Wild Wire: Defenseman Forcast" too and, hope, Fedor Gordeev will be signed at least to AHL this season. We need his size and offensive mentality. The playoffs this season evidently showed how important to develop fast offensively minded all 4 lines as well as the offense mentality  through the defensive lines too. It seems more defensively minded teams are less successful in the long run of this current Stanley Cup achievement.

I do not know if anyone had a chance to watch highlights 2018-2019 of our other promising center forward drafted last year Matvey Guskov who is going to play in OHL for the North Bay Battalion team this season.

From ISS Hockey 2017 "skilled center … plays a 200-foot game … highly intelligent … high-end skills and physical tools … good character and work ethic … complete".

Here is a link to his highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DrWHuj7E5E

Definitely, his play as a center is highly intelligent and pretty skilled for his young age. I like it a lot.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I do not know if anyone had a chance to watch highlights 2018-2019 of our other promising center forward drafted last year Matvey Guskov who is going to play in OHL for the North Bay Battalion team this season.

From ISS Hockey 2017 "skilled center … plays a 200-foot game … highly intelligent … high-end skills and physical tools … good character and work ethic … complete".

Here is a link to his highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DrWHuj7E5E

Definitely, his play as a center is highly intelligent and pretty skilled for his young age. I like it a lot.

In the highlights he seems to be creative, drives to the net, and shoots when he needs to. It would be interesting to see a clip with all of his shifts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

In the highlights he seems to be creative, drives to the net, and shoots when he needs to. It would be interesting to see a clip with all of his shifts.

Some day. Hopefully soon, maybe at the fall training camp.🙂. He is certainly creative and he was pretty good at our summer training camp last year too. For the last 2 seasons by playing for the London Knights(OHL) he showed the nice consistency in points ( he had 30 points in each season as a center player in about 60 played games ). Last year Guskov had 16 goals; 14 assists; +/- +6 in 62 games; and 12 goals;18 assists; +/-  +12 in 59  games the year before .

Another promising prospect came up after my reading an official Wild link regarding coming today and tomorrow new 2020 drafts for the Wild team :

Our 2019 3rd round #75 overall draft Adam Beckman(19 y.o.) is already signed by the Wild. He had last year in WHL (Spokane Chiefs team) 107 points (48 goals;59 assists;+/- +44) in 63 played games. This season he is going to play for the same team Spokane Chiefs.

In my opinion, if Brennan Menell signed for Dinamo Minsk team then we should take from OHL our other talented prospect defenseman Fedor Gordeev to the Iowa Wild team first of all. Like I said before, it is a time to move him up to a more professional hockey, at least to AHL. He has important traits - size, talent, speed, a nice puck control and a good game reading.

10 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I found a link to a 7 minutes highlights of our 2020 draft Khushutdinov. I like his goal at 1'47".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq5NeoeQK9U

I like him always driving to the low slot. That's where the goals are scored from, especially in the NHL, and especially the playoffs.

• Like 1