What will the Caps do with Mike Green

Guest JackStraw

The guy has missed a ton of games over the last couple seasons, and he'll be a RFA after this year. Defensive liability maybe, but a 2X Norris finalist who does generate a lot of offense, which Washington seems to be missing when he's out.

http://www.washingto...Jb5P_story.html

On the one hand, there’s no doubting what Green means to this franchise. After all, this is

“Game Over Green” we’re talking about here, the “One-Man Breakout,” “Lambogreenie,” a founding member of the Young Guns, a fan favorite whose No. 52 jersey dots the sea of red on F Street. He was here when the team stunk. He was vital in its return to relevance. And, if healthy, he could be a critical component in coming seasons – “if” and “could” being the operative words.

On the other hand, McPhee has spent the better part of 24 months figuring out how keep his team competitive minus one of its most important pieces.

To review: Green been sidelined with shoulder, knee, hip flexor, ankle and groin muscle maladies. Along the way, there have also been two concussions, which, according to some around the NHL, are more concerning than all the others combined.

Complicating matters is the team’s recent surge with Green rocking a stylish pinstriped suit rather than a red, white and blue uniform. They’re 9-1 with him on the ice this season. But there’s also growing evidence that the Capitals have learned to cope in his absence. They briefly returned to the top of the Southeast Division standings this week and now sit a mere point behind Florida, a smidge out of third place in the Eastern Conference.

Edited by JackStraw

Move him to wing, and trade that piece of sh!t Semin. Green was always a forward masquerading as a <acronym title='defenseman'>D-man</acronym> anyway.

Totally agree, like the words were coming from my mouth.

Btw, since when was leading the southeast something to brag about?

I doubt it's as simple as moving him to wing. Just because he puts up a bunch of points playing defense doesn't mean he would make an effective forward, obviously it's a completely different offensive style. And it wouldn't address the Caps need to have a puck moving D-man. I think they'll try to sign him, but at a lower salary than his numbers might suggest. And I think he'll take it.

• 7 months later...

I doubt it's as simple as moving him to wing. Just because he puts up a bunch of points playing defense doesn't mean he would make an effective forward, obviously it's a completely different offensive style. And it wouldn't address the Caps need to have a puck moving D-man. I think they'll try to sign him, but at a lower salary than his numbers might suggest. And I think he'll take it.

VERY soft player. thought he was gonna cry when Josh Gratton challenged him in Hershey