Do the Sharks bite? (poll)

yave1964

Are the Sharks finished?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are the Sharks finished?

• Yes too many defections without proper replacements
    • No, a four game losing streak doesnt signify anything

The Sharks slipped to 0-4 and the DeBoer  to the door rumors are circulating, panic hasn't officially set in but it is close.

Marleau has been brought back to help shore up the middle six which has been dreadful to start the year. Hertl who was supposed to replace Pavelski has zero points and is a minus 5. the goaltending duo of Jones and Dell look to be channeling their inner Niemi, lack of depth everywhere seems to be killing the team early. 

It didn't help losing Kane for 3 games to start the year, it didn't help opening with two games against rival Vegas without him but every team faces stuff like this, San Jose has looked outnumbered being outscored 17-5 (!) to start the year. And the schedule doesn't get easier with the retooled Hawks followed by Calgary next on the list.

This is a team effort in their collective futility. Not a single player is in the plus category, Meier, Leblanc and Hertl are combined for zero points between them. Karlsson seems to have slowed dramatically, it is hard to find a positive.

Can they put it together? Well yeah, they have been a gold standard for a decade or more but they seem to lack depth, Jones is average at best in net and too much is being spent on him for too long, arguably same with Karlsson even. 

My feeling coming into this season was the window was closing but still open for one more run, it could be closing sooner than I thought.

@yave1964

I think it's almost all small sample size. The Sharks are outshooting their opposition, but have a shooting percentage of only 3.9% and the goalies save percentage is only .868

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

Not ready to send the Sharkies to the canned tuna factories just yet.
Yea....start of the season ALWAYS sees wacky stuff go on (players who should do better aren't, and players who have no business being on an NHL ice sheet play some of their best Gretzkian hockey..... till they remember they are really AHL fodder)...

The lack of production of the 'star players' is a bit concerning (for fantasy purposes, me retaining Timo Meier as a keeper is looking pretty bad right now, for instance), and yes, the depth isn't what it has been in years past, but there are still some very good hockey players on this team.....they simply haven't gotten it in gear yet.

I do rather like the Knights as favorites for the division, but the Sharks should still be in the conversation.
Let's see them get all their pieces back and let's see what they are doing by the quarter pole of the season (19-22 games in)...that should give us a better indicator of what this team really has.

• Like 1