This is not a good team having a bad year

Guest yave1964

Been reading a lot about how injuries and other factors have taken the CBJ season down, that it is a solid team with a hard luck season, that with a bit of luck they could have been a playoff contender. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Aaron Johnson has been one of the best defensemen. Ugh. Curtis Sanford beat out 'Steve the Sieve" Mason.Dakanich has been a non factor in goal. Nightly, guys like Letestu, Gillies, Dane Byers, Derek Mackenzie, Cody Bass, Sanford, Aaron Johnson, in short other teams non prospects, are getting significant minutes. 'Steve the Sieve" has proven he will not recapture the magic of his rookie year. Arniel looked hopelessly lost, led the team, using the word loosely to its worst 12 month period in this inept franchises history. As far as prospects, Johansen looks solid, but guys like Savard, Moore, Giroux, Calvert, Mayorov and Atkinson look more suspect than anything else. Guys like Boll, Dorsett and Brassard appear overvalued. Carter cannot stay healthy. Wizniewski has the worst signing of the offseason, hey Howsom, superstar defensemen arent on their fifth team in three years. Nash looks like he has packed in the season. In short, I dont see ten players in this whole organization who are winning, quality players. They are putrid.

So where to go? Well, firing the GM before the deadline and bringing in someone new is a start. Trading for a goalie who isnt allergic to rubber would be next. I love Carter, get the rational of trading for him, but even he were healthy, scoring 80-85 points this team still finishes last. If you can trade him for Bernier or Schnieder right now you have to do it. Guys like Umberger, Vermette and Palsson arent going to net you much with their indiffent play this season, but stockpiling picks and real prospects for these guys isnt a bad move either. And pray you win the lottery and get Yakupov. Cant call this a rebuild, they havent ever been built yet in eleven seasons.

I am a Wings fan, promise I am not trying to kick your team when you are down. We live in Mount Gilead and get to 6 to 8 games a year in Columbus because of how close it is. Plus when the Wings have a night off and the CBJ are playing, I watch them on TV, usually with fists clinched in rage over how bad they are. I would love the rivalry if Columbus got it together, think OSU and Michigan, it could be like that. I just hope these guys turn it around before they wind up in Hamilton or Seattle or Kansas City. The fans of Ohio deserve a chance to see some quality hockey.

@yave1964

I think it's more about players not wanting to play in Ohio. They show up, do what they need to do and then go home (or in Carter's case - the dorms). They know they aren't even going to make the playoffs (again) so why put in the extra effort? As @JackStraw said, Ohio state dominates that area. They need to move the franchise. Hamilton? Keep them somewhat close to Ohio.

@yave1964

As @JackStraw said, Ohio state dominates that area. They need to move the franchise. Hamilton? Keep them somewhat close to Ohio.

It's true. Their just isn't a market for an NHL team in an area with a strong and proud college hockey tradition. Same reason why there's no team in Wisconsin. Everyone is a Badger fan. The whole season is a train wreck for CBJ, and the "leaders" like Rick Nash and Jeff Carter are only shooting themselves in the foot by letting the media know how unhappy they are. What does that say to a prospective team looking to add a power forward? I wouldn't want them if they drop their effort if the team was losing.

Bryz, Leino, and Ehrhoff were pretty bad signings/contracts this past off season too...

A whole bushel of lemons got passed around this summer. Buffalo got especially killed now that every major offseason purchase is coming short.

Unlike the Oilers and Isles who have done a good job of drafting and stockpiling picks, the Jackets record of first rounders, Filatov, Brassard, Zherdev, Leclaire, Picard Brule is horrible, Only Nash and Klesla have proven sound as a top ten pick. Voracek and brassard were the next best, and they have been minor dissapointments at best. Hard to think Howson deserves another chance. The Oilers and Isles at least have hope, the CBJ are the worst organization in all of hockey. My personal pick for the next GM in Columbus should be Jim Nill, a solid assistant GM for Detroit who has been part of the Wings management team for twenty years. Dont know how someone hasent snagged him up to run their organization, he has a lot of say in the Wings personel, and knows talent.

and the "leaders" like Rick Nash and Jeff Carter are only shooting themselves in the foot by letting the media know how unhappy they are

Carter let the media know this summer with the whole Jersey shore fiasco. However, I can understand his frustration but in the end it's his own fault. He signed a long-term contract thinking he was going to play for the Flyers for the rest of his career. BUT it's his fault in the end because he didn't negotiate his contract the right way. It's a business after all.

Nash, I feel sorry for - as much as you can feel sorry for someone playing a game for a living - a 7.8m a year living. He's 27 years old and really in his prime. Everyone knows that Columbus isn't going to win a cup in the next 5 years. He wants to win one and the time is right for him to move.

Carter let the media know this summer with the whole Jersey shore fiasco. However, I can understand his frustration but in the end it's his own fault. He signed a long-term contract thinking he was going to play for the Flyers for the rest of his career. BUT it's his fault in the end because he didn't negotiate his contract the right way. It's a business after all.

Nash, I feel sorry for - as much as you can feel sorry for someone playing a game for a living - a 7.8m a year living. He's 27 years old and really in his prime. Everyone knows that Columbus isn't going to win a cup in the next 5 years. He wants to win one and the time is right for him to move.

Only problem with trading Nash is his contract, championships are built from the middle out, and that is an awful lot of money to give to a wing. Somebody might do it, but he will never fetch market value.

Only problem with trading Nash is his contract, championships are built from the middle out, and that is an awful lot of money to give to a wing. Somebody might do it, but he will never fetch market value.

Fopr the right ream, Nash will take a paycut. He's the one that wants out. Beggars can't be choosers. If (hypothetically) Detroit offered him the job, he might take a long term contract for 5 million/year. Sound reasonable for a shot to win the Cup?

Fopr the right ream, Nash will take a paycut. He's the one that wants out. Beggars can't be choosers. If (hypothetically) Detroit offered him the job, he might take a long term contract for 5 million/year. Sound reasonable for a shot to win the Cup?

He can't take a paycut. The CBA doesn't allow the reworking of contracts the way they do in the NFL. So Nash's 7.8 million cap hit is a 7.8 million cap hit for most of the rest of the decade.

@WingNut722

He can't take a paycut. The CBA doesn't allow the reworking of contracts

Don't you think that's why you see players prolonging injuries, ending up in the AHL (Walker..) and so on.

I'd like to see the ability to rework contracts if both the team and the player agree to it.