Game 4: Flyers at Calgary; 10/15/19 @ 9 PM ET

Howie58

What the heck is going on with Philly?

They don't seem to have their legs tonight.
Look extremely slow out there, as a whole, keep getting beat to loose pucks, and are rather easily relieved of the puck once they DO get it.

Not a good formula for beating Calgary.

And the Flames' defense really hasn't looked particularly effective....yet the Flyers can't seem to do anything with it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What the heck is going on with Philly?

They don't seem to have their legs tonight.
Look extremely slow out there, as a whole, keep getting beat to loose pucks, and are rather easily relieved of the puck once they DO get it.

Not a good formula for beating Calgary.

And the Flames' defense really hasn't looked particularly effective....yet the Flyers can't seem to do anything with it.

It was what? 10 days ago they were in Prague?

No excuses, just terrible scheduling.

• Like 1

Just now, radoran said:

It was what? 10 days ago they were in Prague?

No excuses, just terrible scheduling.

In that case, they might wanna petition the NHL to NOT schedule them again to visit Radko Gudas' home in the future.
Just like the player, it gives them lag.... :ph34r: 

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

In that case, they might wanna petition the NHL to NOT schedule them again to visit Radko Gudas' home in the future.
Just like the player, it gives them lag.... :ph34r: 

Jake Voracek says Ahoj

You say your team is on a two game skid?? I got just the thing for them a well rested Flyer team.

It should help you out for what ails you.

Can't get out their own way literally.

Funny when the level of competitions up they can't hang onto the puck or if they do it's when they should move it.

Chased the puck from all i had seen couldn't take no more so i went to bed before the 3rd.

Elliott wasn't the reason they lost so that is a good thing.

So AV can you fix them??? I hope so a whole lot of talent to be sitting spoiling.......

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

I think at the very least Couts should return to the top line with Giroux. Hayes is a fine 2C, but he has yet to show the level of talent Couts can turn on when he needs to. Don't slot a guy higher in the line up because of his contract. Put them in the best position to succeed. 

@OccamsRazor is right about Elliott though. I'm by no means an Elliott fan, but they didn't lose because of Elliott in this game. That's not a bad thing I suppose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I think at the very least Couts should return to the top line with Giroux. Hayes is a fine 2C, but he has yet to show the level of talent Couts can turn on when he needs to. Don't slot a guy higher in the line up because of his contract. Put them in the best position to succeed. 

@OccamsRazor is right about Elliott though. I'm by no means an Elliott fan, but they didn't lose because of Elliott in this game. That's not a bad thing I suppose.

Yeah for 31 million (Giroux, Hayes, Jake, JVR) you would think you can get more than one goal...right?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Tonight, they look...Hakstolesque.  

A good way of putting it.  I was rather underwhelmed and fell asleep trying to watch this mess.  I'm really on the fence about being a STH anymore after all the mediocrity,  the Kate Smith debacle, and the transformation of the arena into Universal Studios Philadelphia.  This game didn't do much to push me back toward spending my time and money on this team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poulin20 said:

A good way of putting it.  I was rather underwhelmed and fell asleep trying to watch this mess.  I'm really on the fence about being a STH anymore after all the mediocrity,  the Kate Smith debacle, and the transformation of the arena into Universal Studios Philadelphia.  This game didn't do much to push me back toward spending my time and money on this team.

Sir Poulin:

Last year I gave semi-serious thought to buying a 11 (maybe 12) game pack as a "hook" for coming up north to see family and get a face-to-face Flyers experience.  I reckoned on 3-5 games, with my brother and his friends using the rest.  After a lot of deliberation (and a heckuva lot of sales pressure), I said no.  Part of my rationale was "the product."  I hope AV and Fletcher restore an elite status, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

Other than Brian Elliot and Oscar Lindblom I thought the whole team looked bad.

Couldn't make or receive a pass, fought the puck all night, they just didn't have it. 

Pretty odd that it wasn't just a couple of guys, it was everyone.

I think I'm over seeing Giroux on the right side during the power play, the puck movement is there and that's great but his shot isn't.

His shot from the half wall is accurate and when the goalie does get to it, he creates many rebound chances from that spot. 

I do like the way they keep going to the net though. 

Also, I have said I didn't hate the Stewart signing, I don't, I don't think versus Calgary is where I would play him, unless it was a feel good thing, "hey here's your contract go play some hockey tonight" I don't think he's the worst choice for a 13th forward, I do think I'd rather see maybe Rubstov with the NHL club playing 4th line minutes and save Stewart for gooning when necessary. 

• Like 1

if this core cant get it done, there has to be changes, you cant blame the coaches anymore because we gone thru so many coaches to this core to play at a higher standard and it hasnt worked, at some point the core has to be changed. giroux, jake, ghost etc.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

if this core cant get it done, there has to be changes, you cant blame the coaches anymore because we gone thru so many coaches to this core to play at a higher standard and it hasnt worked, at some point the core has to be changed. giroux, jake, ghost etc.

I think I would wait until maybe game 15 to make that determination.

We've seen better play from this group under the new coaching staff already.

They looked ****** last night no question. 

I think the travel may be catching up to them. That's a lot of miles even for young guys. A lot of screwed up sleep...

Not a single player other than Elliot looked good last night, so it wasn't just the core not showing up.

If this group is still scuffling around at the beginning of December, maybe it is time to make a trade and shake things up. 

I don't think I'd pull the trigger or point the finger just yet.

I would scratch Ghost-  Voracek has looked lost at times too, I don't know how much of that is unfamiliarity with what AV wants him to do or reticence to actually do it, maybe he needs a night off too. 

Giroux has missed the net or hit the post, I have to think those results will even out over time. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Throw darts at the names on a board and go from there....

Don't they still have the grab bag with the numbered balls Hitchcock used to use every shift?

*sits and patiently waits for someone to make a comment about the numbered balls*

👺

Just now, radoran said:

Don't they still have the grab bag with the numbered balls Hitchcock used to use every shift?

*sits and patiently waits for someone to make a comment about the numbered balls*

👺

Sure but sharp pointy darts are more dangerous!

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Other than Brian Elliot and Oscar Lindblom I thought the whole team looked bad.

Couldn't make or receive a pass, fought the puck all night, they just didn't have it. 

Pretty odd that it wasn't just a couple of guys, it was everyone.

I think I'm over seeing Giroux on the right side during the power play, the puck movement is there and that's great but his shot isn't.

His shot from the half wall is accurate and when the goalie does get to it, he creates many rebound chances from that spot. 

I do like the way they keep going to the net though. 

Also, I have said I didn't hate the Stewart signing, I don't, I don't think versus Calgary is where I would play him, unless it was a feel good thing, "hey here's your contract go play some hockey tonight" I don't think he's the worst choice for a 13th forward, I do think I'd rather see maybe Rubstov with the NHL club playing 4th line minutes and save Stewart for gooning when necessary. 

Pretty much agree with all of this. 

Elliott kept this game within reach the entire time. How many shots did they allow? It was very close to 40 if not over. It's nice to see him dialed in.

Lindblom is turning into a possession monster right before our eyes. He just turned 23 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 40 points this year. Very strong on the boards, makes a lot of little subtle heads up plays. 

I also thought Niskanen had a very strong game again. 

The rest of the team just looked off last night. Could be the travel, the flu bug (which has apparently hit half the team), or just the growing pains of a new coach, new system, and seemingly new lines every shift. The worst they can do on through this opening road trip is .500 (2-2-1). On par with what I hoped they could at least reach in this tough stretch.

The bottom 6 is struggling, but it is admittedly weak. Missing Patrick and another more talented winger (say, Farabee?) or a better pivot (Rubtsov?). I would bet that there will be roster changes once they're back in Philly.

The more concerning issue is the top 6. G, Jake, Hayes, and JVR just aren't contributing offensively. They need to get going.

On defense, oof. Provorov was guilty of some egregious turnovers and poor decision making last night. He did balance it out somewhat with some nice plays, but I was hoping those 'rookie' mistakes would be ironed out by now. He's still only 22, so I'm not worried about him long-term - but it becomes an issue when he's also expected to play like a consistent #1 right now, not 5 years from now.

Braun was directly responsible for two major gaffes on the first goal. Ghost has zero dynamic element to his game left. Sanheim was playing a bit like Myers last night and trying to do too much. Hagg is Hagg.

All in all, a rough night. 

Quick turnaround, so let's see them plaster McDavid to the boards.. oh wait, we don't have Manning anymore. They do!  Watch out G!

15 hours ago, brelic said:

They don't have it tonight. Fighting the puck. 

Really look like the trip is wearing them down.

Not surprising.  Hope they can bounce back for tonight.  

still... can't help but think that maybe some of that youthful vigor in LHV might not help n these situations.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Pretty much agree with all of this. 

Elliott kept this game within reach the entire time. How many shots did they allow? It was very close to 40 if not over. It's nice to see him dialed in.

Lindblom is turning into a possession monster right before our eyes. He just turned 23 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 40 points this year. Very strong on the boards, makes a lot of little subtle heads up plays. 

I also thought Niskanen had a very strong game again. 

The rest of the team just looked off last night. Could be the travel, the flu bug (which has apparently hit half the team), or just the growing pains of a new coach, new system, and seemingly new lines every shift. The worst they can do on through this opening road trip is .500 (2-2-1). On par with what I hoped they could at least reach in this tough stretch.

The bottom 6 is struggling, but it is admittedly weak. Missing Patrick and another more talented winger (say, Farabee?) or a better pivot (Rubtsov?). I would bet that there will be roster changes once they're back in Philly.

The more concerning issue is the top 6. G, Jake, Hayes, and JVR just aren't contributing offensively. They need to get going.

On defense, oof. Provorov was guilty of some egregious turnovers and poor decision making last night. He did balance it out somewhat with some nice plays, but I was hoping those 'rookie' mistakes would be ironed out by now. He's still only 22, so I'm not worried about him long-term - but it becomes an issue when he's also expected to play like a consistent #1 right now, not 5 years from now.

Braun was directly responsible for two major gaffes on the first goal. Ghost has zero dynamic element to his game left. Sanheim was playing a bit like Myers last night and trying to do too much. Hagg is Hagg.

All in all, a rough night. 

Quick turnaround, so let's see them plaster McDavid to the boards.. oh wait, we don't have Manning anymore. They do!  Watch out G!

Nice observations. Felt like I was reading my own thoughts.

Niskanen's making his value known.  Setting an example for the other vets.

That he's outproducing G and Jake and JVR is terrifying.  

Gotta think they're just a little snake bitten right now.  They've all had chances.  It's not like they're not in the play.  But tonight would be a good time to sort it out.

At this point, I'm on board with trying out Farabee on the third.  They need a little help with the get up and go.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Nice observations. Felt like I was reading my own thoughts.

Niskanen's making his value known.  Setting an example for the other vets.

That he's outproducing G and Jake and JVR is terrifying.  

Yeah Niskanen looks like a very smart acquisition by Fletch. He's providing a lot of what was missing last year.

As for the top guys not producing, it looks like they just don't have any chemistry right now. I'd be hesitant to break up the Lindblom/Coots/TK line since they're playing so well, but we know that JVR/Hayes/Voracek line was solid in preseason, so why not try that, and reunite G/Coots/TK? 

Of course, the problem then is that Lindblom loses out. Could swap him and JVR.

19 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Gotta think they're just a little snake bitten right now.  They've all had chances.  It's not like they're not in the play.  But tonight would be a good time to sort it out.

At this point, I'm on board with trying out Farabee on the third.  They need a little help with the get up and go.  

Maybe we see a move by the weekend in time for the Dallas game? A lot willl depend on the outcome tonight and individual play.

38 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah Niskanen looks like a very smart acquisition by Fletch. He's providing a lot of what was missing last year.

As for the top guys not producing, it looks like they just don't have any chemistry right now. I'd be hesitant to break up the Lindblom/Coots/TK line since they're playing so well, but we know that JVR/Hayes/Voracek line was solid in preseason, so why not try that, and reunite G/Coots/TK? 

Of course, the problem then is that Lindblom loses out. Could swap him and JVR.

Maybe we see a move by the weekend in time for the Dallas game? A lot willl depend on the outcome tonight and individual play.

I'd try putting Jake on with Hayes and G first.  But I think they need to think about Farabee sooner rather than later. 

Pitlick and Stewart aren't an answer to any question I want to ask. 

It's early and they're tired from a really crappy road trip and they're still getting used to AV's system and apparently they all have the flu.  So I'm not worried about anything after one crappy game and I have to keep that in mind tonight.  Most of that will all still be valid.

But I just don't think Jake with Laughton and Pitlick is going to work.  I don't want Pitlick on the top 9 anywhere and playing with them, is no wonder Jake isn't producing.  I want Pitlick as the 13th most nights. I'd sooner see Raffle on the 3rd.

Long story short, I don't want to have traded Weise and Lehtera for Pitlick and Stewart.  

Echo and Twarinksy won spots through hard work, hustle and paying their dues... but Frosty and Farabee have real skill and potential.  I don't think playing Pitlick, Stewart AND Bunny and Twarynski makes sense long term.  Maybe long enough to cat their cap situation together and maybe if Patrick truly is coming back soon.  

But even if Patty's ready soon... he's had no camp.  What's his up to speed time going to be?  Is putting him back into action right away after no camp going to get him hurt again?  

I'm perfectly willing to give the team consideration and time, but I just down' think Pitlick and Stewart have a point now or going forward. Pit's a 4th liner and Stew's a minor leaguer. 

I think playing them this much now is just wasting time.  

Coots is a 1C and Hayes is a 2C.  They need to be played like that.  

Edited by King Knut
  • Like 1