Game 4: Flyers at Calgary; 10/15/19 @ 9 PM ET

Howie58

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Put Jake at 3rd line RW where he belongs.

That's why his hockey name is "Defensively Responsible", amirite? 👺

If Jake isn't out there in a scoring role, he doesn't have one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Really look like the trip is wearing them down.

Not surprising.  Hope they can bounce back for tonight.  

still... can't help but think that maybe some of that youthful vigor in LHV might not help n these situations.  

Wore down already?

Holy ****, there goes the season

30 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Wore down already?

Holy ****, there goes the season

I get that you’re being funny, but the reports are more than half have the flu and they’ve had a very off schedule in. Three different countries spanning like 13 time zones.  It’s temporary and it’s understandable.  It would make me play you get guys rather than Braun and Stewart, but that’s not my call. Also, I don’t know who’s sick. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well put him in the press box for a game or two.

Or don’t make him play with Laughton and Pitlick!  

Lets not get our pantries bunched because he’s not elevating them and let’s help elevate HIM to what we know he can be. 

Frost and Farabee time. 

Edited by King Knut

Exactly what can he be?

He is what he is based on how he's playing. He should elevate his game because he is a professional and wants to help the team win. Its not the coaches fault he plays like a lazy ass

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Jake is a lazy f**k no matter who he plays with...he is the next guy i want traded out of Philly.

There’s an argument to be made that Hextall should have traded him when he was hot instead of resigning him. 

But it right now, trading him only damages the team’s chances as you’re only getting picks and prospects in return and those would likely be from a competitive non-lottery team and there aren’t many of those with $8million in cap space.  Essentially its the Avalanche and Yotes.  

Another middle to late first rounder is. It going to help this team.  Though first overall might be worth it. 

Long story short, Jake was hands down their best player last night (ironically Carter Hart was hands down their worst thought Braun wasn’t far off). 

I’m not saying I disagree.  Just saying I don’t know that trading him makes any sense to getting the team better now.  and as long as he’s here, they need him playing his best if they’re gonna have a chance. 

Ergo, he needs better line mates than Pitlick and Laughton. How many top 6 wings in this league do you stick with two 4th liners and expect solid gold production. 

I’m all for bringing up skilled guys to complement him.  I’d have to check on Echo and Twark’s waiver exemption status, and I don’t know what stew’s one way contract means for sending him down, but i’d Do what I can to at least get Farabee up, potentially trying him out One jake’s left side or potting him in JVR’s  current spot and putting JVR back on Jake’s left side like last year.  

All this said, I think Frost is perhaps the more important call up right now.  He’s not looking as good as Farabee, but the 4th line needs a center and Laughton is good at that job.  

The 4th line was atrocious last night and getting Laughton and Pitlick back onto it where they SHOULD be would at least help the 4th and potentially help the third too. 

If you try Farabee on the 2nd for JVR, then it could help out the entire bottom nine.  

Last night wasn’t as much of a disaster as it felt.  Hart was uncharacteristically awful.   It’s not that he didn’t shine or that he didn’t make some impossible saves, He was really bad and didn’t make saves an NHL goalie really should.  

One can hope it was the flu.  One can hope it was nerves... or maybe edmonton doesn’t have a Whole Foods and he had to eat crappy spinach... one can even hope his sports therapist is an oilers fan and put some kind of hypnotic whammy on him under hypnosis when playing the Oilers.  I don’t know.  I don’t care.  It sucks he’s only human after all, but he is.  

Hopefully it was the flu plus nerves being home.   

13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

There’s an argument to be made that Hextall should have traded him when he was hot instead of resigning him. 

If only there was this place you could go for free,  sage advice, like: trade him his value will never be higher.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

Exactly what can he be?

He is what he is based on how he's playing. He should elevate his game because he is a professional and wants to help the team win. Its not the coaches fault he plays like a lazy ass

He can be an 80+ point scorer and key clutch player at the ends of games as we’ve seen. 

He was their heir best player on the ice last night.  

Exactly how many top 6 RW’s get stuck with two 4th liners and are still expected to put up big numbers?  

If they could have traded him and signed Stone, I’d have been all for it.   But they couldn’t.  

Right now there here isn’t a team in the league that can fit him in under the cap out right. 

I suppose it’s possible you could talk a Columbus into trading him for Atkinson if Columbus has decided to go all in on a rebuild now as Jake comes off the books teobyears sooner than Cam, but do you really want to be paying Atkinson $6million for the next 6 years?

Maybe The sens trade Bonny Ryan for him, but then you’re getting what is likely a worse player, saving less than a million bucks but shaving a year off the contract. 

Do do you want Colin White?  

The Avalanche might take him for a cup run, but they’re not giving you anything in actual value and they are likely to pick very low because Sakic’s pretty smart and they look to be pretty good with lots of cap space to lock in their RFA’s in the years ahead.  

No no one else with close to the cap space needed is going to give you anyone that will help now.  

Why not not just promote and push the young talent we know we have and try to use them to push Jake at the same time?

He’s lazy? Yes he often looks that way. So  why on earth put lazy out with underskilled and expect that concoction to result in a case of tasty cakes? 

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

But it right now, trading him only damages the team’s chances

Chances of what? 

You can argue he's already played his best hockey and that hasnt resulted in much.  If you are making a youth movement, you jettison the dead weight

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Chances of what? 

You can argue he's already played his best hockey and that hasnt resulted in much.  If you are making a youth movement, you jettison the dead weight

Chances of making the playoffs.

He scored two goals last night and has a career average of .83 Points per game.  

If we agree that we're not going to get much in the way of current usable talent for him, then presumably the answer to filling his absence  and remaining competitive this year would be found in Farabee and or Frost.

Why not try keeping him and just cutting straight to the chace and giving him Farabee and Frost to play along side instead of Pitlick and Laughton?

Saying he is lazy and isn't pushing it to the limit for 18 minutes a night is one thing.

But suggesting the team is somehow better off without Jake Voracek is a really hard sell unless you have a viable replacement... and that doesn't seem available. 

We dont agree that a trade wont make the team better. I honestly don't what they could get. When you are trading with a team that needs a player like Jake to get to the promised land, you might get more than you think

Im more concerned that the attitude of a lazy superstar has a negative impact on young players. This team has plenty of those. I would be okay with them not making the playoffs if it was to get these young studs valuable experience.  Besides, at this point Im used to not watching playoff hockey in philly

You don't blow up the team five games into the season.

If they're not in the playoff hunt in January? Then you start looking at it.

Yes, yes - b-b-b-but St. Louis!

This team simply doesn't have that team's pedigree.

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

You don't blow up the team five games into the season.

If they're not in the playoff hunt in January? Then you start looking at it.

Yes, yes - b-b-b-but St. Louis!

This team simply doesn't have that team's pedigree.

Youre right. Maybe i got off topic. Its been too soon to really get a true ferl fir the team. Watching the same ol jake and lackluster product on ice can alter one's logic

The right path is to let AV do what he does and see what happens

• Like 1