Post game comments

sweetshot

BB was careful especially for Dubnyk. IMO he should be replaced ASAP as a #1 goalie for this team (losing mostly 4 goals every game this regular season, including also preseason 2 out of 3 games). He is not focused anymore during the games as he was before. I think Stalock should be a starter goalie for awhile, even for the last game too. I have seen that multiple times the coach decision to put back to back games for Dubnyk. Boudreau should make the same decision for Stalock, because he brought to our team just one single win(shutout) this season with a minimal score 2:0. His stats are not bad too. Dubnyk played 67 games last year , which is too much for this type of goalie, especially , when the team is not capable to score enough goals. Unfortunately, this is our reality. We always need to look for a better goalie for this team. Personally for me, in abstraction mode in the hockey, - goalie is a head of the body; defensemen are the shoulders  capable to carry on all the difficulties of the body; and the forwards are the legs and hands  capable to produce some necessary success for the entire body. All parts are important. If one part is breaking then the whole body is breaking too, but still the body starts spoiling always from the head first of all. A nice example , was the last year Stanley Cup winner - St.Louis Blues team. As soon as they replaced goalie to Binnington as a #1 goalie, the team's results dramatically improved. We need to try that option too - to look for a better goalie (Stalock, Kahkonen,Robson). All should be tried for a better search.  

The good news,  I am so glad, that after 2 years for me of waiting for the insertion Gerald Mayhew into the big club, finally he played last night his 1st career NHL  game and he scored his 1st goal in his 1st game. 

The sad news, Lodnia understood that he will spend mostly in the press box in AHL during the regular season and, I think, he asked to be moved back to OHL, which happened on October 13th. Just do not understand coaching staff strategy -the player(Lodnia) who produced mostly an average more than 20 goals per season in a minor league was benched in Iowa without any tryout there. The player (Dewar) who produced mostly more than 30 goals per season in a minor league still is benched in Iowa. The player(Sokolov) who produced more than 40 goals(once 50 goals) per season in a minor league and 16 goals;14 assists in 60 games in Iowa last season by playing for the 4th line still is benched in Iowa this season.  And Iowa signed this summer lots of oldish veterans who were not high scoring producers in their careers. Depth should be build on our own drafted core. Train them if you able for doing that, if not , then the coaching staff should be replaced for a more experienced professional one. Sincerely, I do see some discrimination of our own young seedlings in favor to not promising veterans previously played in other teams and who will not present any interest in NHL career. And the Calder Cup (if we will win it) will have a less value for our team because of that.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Be interesting to see if he actually benches a Staal or a Parise...I find it interesting that Fiala gets benched for his numerous turnovers, but when a vet is having issues, they are allowed to "work through it"...

Usual practice here instead of moving them for awhile at least to a 3rd or 4th lines. Still I do not remember from BB a tryout trio - Zucker-Staal- Zuccarello. Now, if Zuccarello is having a lower body injury, then I would like to see the try of the new trio - Zucker-Staal-Mayhew.

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Be interesting to see if he actually benches a Staal or a Parise...I find it interesting that Fiala gets benched for his numerous turnovers, but when a vet is having issues, they are allowed to "work through it"...

Yes it will--It's a tough spot for BB. He definitely believes in the vets more than the young guys, although IMO we've seen all Fiala has to offer. And he was pretty clear about the lack of team speed and the type of game they need to play in order to win some games. Big problem is, they don't have the type personnel overall that you need to play that way. 

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The straightforward reporter was Russo. He really tried to get an opinion on them, but BB was careful. Sounded very frustrated to me, but didn't say that much.

Interesting when Russo asked about Dubnyk:

Boudreau on Dubnyk, who's 0-5 with a 4.44 gaa and .867 sv%: “I think he’s one of a lot of guys that has played better in the past. What are you going to do? He’s our No 1 goalie and he’ll work his way out of it.”

Personally, for me, - it is not an answer. Dubnyk is not a #1 goalie, but a back up goalie who should play 30-35 games per season. He will not work his way out of the weak play as a #1 goalie, because we have seen that for a long period of time. Softies are his main poor horse at least for 2 seasons in a row. Maybe his replacement as #1 goalie will boost the team's energy for the wins and a better production. So far, we do not have a highly scoring superstars capable to support this type of goalie. 

Boudreau when asked about team's lack of speed: "I don’t have the answer for that. That’s what we have. They have to play. I wish I had a magic potion to make everybody faster, but I don’t. ..."

Personally, for me , - it is not an answer. Impossible the old players to make younger. Move them down; give them less time because of their age, evident shortness of breath and less energy/reaction; be creative, and do experimental search and start rebuilding the team with a try of the younger blood from the AHL - Mayhew; Dewar; Sokolov; Bitten,Sturm. And during the next season should be included in more new signed players - Kaprizov; Giroux, Khovanov; Lodnia;Guskov;Gordeev, Beckman, because they all merit our attention according to their current very promising stats. The Wild GM Guerin must be responsible for signing those players and inserting them into the big club for the rotation try out mode as soon as possible. No way that we will do with them the same way as we did with Mayhew who started to play his 4th season in AHL this year without any single try in the big club. Finally he played last game for the Wild. Kind of a shame and the waste of the talent for the Wild organization who should be tried him at least 2 years ago.  IMO, as a rule, the trust in our young prospects should be always higher than into a doubtful veterans taken from the other teams at the end of their professional career. 

Edited by Alexandron

Interesting and somewhat controversial opinions by Alexandron, thanks for the food for thought. Those points make me think that there are probably good reasons prospects in North America are developed the way they are, according to a well established tradition. On the other hand it's always possible to make little adjustments and sometimes even turn everything upside down. If the Wild would find improvements to the traditional way they have developed prospects, we could perhaps find some hidden gems from late round draft picks and even from undrafted players. That would require creative thinking from inside the organisation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Boudreau post game Toronto

I think he was evasive, careful with his words. The reporters, especially that one guy, was much more straightforward. But yeah, that "work through it" yet again. It grows old, fast...long due.

He knows its a tightrope.  Especially with the culture of this Wild locker room.  He probably wants to bench at least one of the vets, but he knows Leipold won't be too thrilled to see one of his big money players sitting in the pressbox.  

• Like 1

To me Staal needs to sit. He's been putrid.

Boudreau keeps saying he's dealing with an injury and that's why he's playing poorly. Ready made excuse for the scratch: Staal's injured, so we want to give him a few days to heal up. Or if the injury is affecting his play that badly, put him on IR retroactively and call someone up from Iowa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Boudreau keeps saying he's dealing with an injury and that's why he's playing poorly.

Always amazed at how teams will play guys with an injury, have them play poorly, and then say "well, he's injured."

Why Play Them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Always amazed at how teams will play guys with an injury, have them play poorly, and then say "well, he's injured."

Why Play Them?

No kidding.

I get that guys pick up minor injuries here and there. Hockey's a physical sport, and if you sat out for every bump and bruise, no one would be playing. Or there'd be three guys on a side. But when the injury is affecting Staal's play the way it is, it's not just a bump or bruise. Something bigger is going on. Maybe he's got a sprained finger or pulled muscle or something.

Or Father Time has finally caught up to Eric Staal the way he did when Jason Pominville played his last couple of seasons for the Wild.

Either way Staal should sit. He's been useless on the ice.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

Just now, IllaZilla said:

I get that guys pick up minor injuries here and there. Hockey's a physical sport, and if you sat out for every bump and bruise, no one would be playing. Or there'd be three guys on a side.

I get that, too. And obviously players play through things all the time.

I think of Wayne Simmonds playing a season with a tear in his pelvis area, torn groin, fractured ankle, torn thumb ligament and a busted jaw. He put up 40 points but was a ghost of himself on the ice.

"Bumps and bruises" are part of the game. Players want to play. I get it. But the organization needs to look at a player and say "you're not doing us or you any good here."

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He knows its a tightrope.  Especially with the culture of this Wild locker room.  He probably wants to bench at least one of the vets, but he knows Leipold won't be too thrilled to see one of his big money players sitting in the pressbox.  

Yes. And while it's easy to understand BB has to keep his mouth shut, I just wonder hasn't any other from the staff come public? Sharing their insights? Other than Fenton was an arrogant moron? About how they feel this roster is badly constructed and it's time to Rebuild?

There's always one Deep Throat.

I think its funny (and hypocritical) to call out Bruce Boudreau in this situation.  The players control their effort and for the most part their preparation.  To Zucker and any of the other Wild players right now...shut the $^ck up and do your job.  Zucker has enough problems in his own game to keep him busy.  

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Zucker has enough problems in his own game to keep him busy.  

Yeah... criticism coming from a player who's sucked s*** for the past 93 games. His words hold no merit. Probably more than anything it underlines the fact he's lost his focus.

I don't think BB will bench any of the veterans simply because if he does - and all the other veterans don't get inspired - then that's it...  I think in their minds benching the veterans is the final admission that they have a massive problem - and they don't want that kind of focus on them as a team.  That also makes the team look horrible to prospects or existing player trade value - and a fan wanting to see a game - where their favorite player is benched...

My bet is they're petrified to sit a veteran because the optics it might have - and then what do you do with that NMC veteran when sitting a game doesn't inspire him - and he plays worse the next game..? 

Not exactly sure what it is about these specific players and motivating them - but it seems like a constant challenge...

3 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

It might be an overreaction to being traded and not being traded during the Fenton era. Nevertheless it's a curious statement and a way of saying he's open for a trade. Probably wants to get out.

I agree with you, Zucker wants out. Is this a clever thing to do it? Probably not, at least not for the Wild. And not for himself either, burning bridges on his way out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I agree with you, Zucker wants out. Is this a clever thing to do it? Probably not, at least not for the Wild. And not for himself either, burning bridges on his way out.

Carly probably wants to get to a bigger market. ;) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think BB has his hands pretty tied up as to who plays and the TOI. I think BB is to stubborn to quit or his ego won't let him so he just deals with the outcome and his answers are becoming more scripted as he is starting to not care. I feel for him. Look at the life and excitement he had when he first got here to what it is now.

I do believe if BB could bench whoever he would. We seen him do that at other places but let's not forget it's been proven he has been forced to play players he didn't want too. But he would have to ask his two bosses Parise and Suter first so they can talk to the GM and Leipold about it. It's a chitshow