Game 5: Flyers at Oilers; 10/16/19 @ 9:30 ET

Howie58

Greetings:

We are mild underdogs:

https://sportschatplace.com/picks/nhl/edmonton-oilers-vs-philadelphia-flyers-10-16-19-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

The Oilers are playing good hockey.  We looked uninspired until the 3rd period last night, and Moose kept us in the game. 

When will our first line wake up?  In the post-game last night, JJ and Keith Jones noted that Giroux and Company have a whopping one assist to date.  Chris Stewart looked more active than our Captain and Voracek.  

Another puzzler that smacks of last season: We took 68% of the faceoffs.  If you recall, last year we were a top-flight face-off club, but that didn't translate into goals or possession.  I hope that pattern isn't carrying over into the AV era.  

LGF

Edited by Howie58
typo

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Giroux and Company have a whopping one assist to date.  Chris Stewart looked more active than our Captain and Voracek. 

I'm afraid it's becoming glaringly obvious where many of our issues originate.  I know someone will say points and skill, and I'm not arguing that, but in 7 years, we have not won a playoff series with those points and skills and have only made it three times.   It's time to break up the band.  Where is Yoko?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Also, at this point, other than to shop him is there any reason to have Ghost in the lineup over Morin or Myers? 

I am thinking Ghost might be a scratch after last night. 

He wasn't just bad he was add an adjective-ly bad. 

I believe his reliance on his ability to make finesse plays really hurt him last night, some nights you need to make the simple strong play  because you don't have "it", he never changed his game to accept the reality that everyone was fighting the puck.

Now would not be the time to stop sending messages via ice time. 

• Like 3

PROJECTED LINES (Subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS (Tuesday's starting lines)

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 25 James van Riemsdyk
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
18 Tyler Pitlick - 21 Scott Laughton - 93 Jakub Voracek
81 Carsen Twarynski - 12 Michael Raffl - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 15 Matt Niskanen
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Hayes, JVR, Voracek, Gostisbehere.
Power Play 2:  Lindblom, Couturier, Konecny, Provorov, Niskanen

Scratches: 55 Sam Morin (healthy), 82 Connor Bunnaman (healthy).
Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

OILERS

29 Leon Draisaitl - 97 Connor McDavid - 44 Zack Kassian
92 Tomas Jurco - 93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 18 James Neal
16 Jujhar Khaira - 23 Riley Sheahan - 15 Josh Archibald
39 Alex Chiasson - 91 Gaetan Haas - 60 Markus Granlund

25 Darnell Nurse - 74 Ethan Bear
77 Oscar Klefbom - 36 Joel Persson
4 Kris Russell - 83 Matt Benning

41 Mike Smith
19 Mikko Koskinen

Power play 1: Draisaitl, McDavid, Neal, Klefbom, Nugent-Hopkins.

Scratches: 10 Joakim Nygård (healthy), 26 Brandon Manning (healthy), 52 Patrick Russell (healthy).
Long-term injured reserve: 6 Adam Larsson (fractured right fibula).

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I am thinking Ghost might be a scratch after last night. 

He wasn't just bad he was add an adjective-ly bad. 

I believe his reliance on his ability to make finesse plays really hurt him last night, some nights you need to make the simple strong play  because you don't have "it", he never changed his game to accept the reality that everyone was fighting the puck.

Now would not be the time to stop sending messages via ice time. 

Bundy and others on the post-gamer were extremely critical of his play...almost amazed me from the Comcast crew.  Their bottom line was simple--he needs to figure out the daily style that will build his career.  You nailed it.  Something has really snapped over the last two years...or the league is learning how to play him.  Regardless; it ain't pretty and the coaching staff needs to intervene quickly.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Power Play 1: Giroux, Hayes, JVR, Voracek, Gostisbehere.

Really have to feel bad for Hayes here, right? 

Introducing, for your listening pleasure:   "Kevin, and the Dead Weights."

• Haha 1

I mean, they've only played a few games. I think going full into sell-all-the-things mode is probably a bit premature. 

Now, there are some fairly obvious takeaways I think. Couts remains the team's best center by a good measure, and he should be on the first line with the best winger we have in Giroux. Also, Ghost has been middling to bad for some time now, and it doesn't appear to have changed to date. I'm not saying move him right now necessarily, but I do think Fletch should have an open ear.

• Like 1

Just now, Howie58 said:

Bundy and others on the post-gamer were extremely critical of his play...almost amazed me from the Comcast crew.  Their bottom line was simple--he needs to figure out the daily style that will build his career.  You nailed it.  Something has really snapped over the last two years...or the league is learning how to play him.  Regardless; it ain't pretty and the coaching staff needs to intervene quickly.

I suppose it's neither here nor there because it doesn't change present circumstance, but I think he's probably the perfect poster boy for the "Ruined by Gord Murphy" support group.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I mean, they've only played a few games. I think going full into sell-all-the-things mode is probably a bit premature. 

Now, there are some fairly obvious takeaways I think. Couts remains the team's best center by a good measure, and he should be on the first line with the best winger we have in Giroux. Also, Ghost has been middling to bad for some time now, and it doesn't appear to have changed to date. I'm not saying move him right now necessarily, but I do think Fletch should have an open ear.

Yeah, completely agree with the bolded.   Just kvetching because last night was painful to watch.  If it wasn't for the handful of different names, I'd have thought I was watching a DVR of a game from last year.    I think all of us want(ed) to point the finger--all the fingers--at coaching but I also think all of us have the nagging suspicion that something is really dysfunctional with the core.

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, completely agree with the bolded.   Just kvetching because last night was painful to watch.  If it wasn't for the handful of different names, I'd have thought I was watching a DVR of a game from last year.    I think all of us want(ed) to point the finger--all the fingers--at coaching but I also think all of us have the nagging suspicion that something is really dysfunctional with the core.

Yeah, you may very well be right about that. I think Giroux would be a hard sell for me, unless the offer coming in was amazing, but the rest of the core I think should be on notice this year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Strip  ...G of the ...C..

From a symbolic standpoint, making one of the youngsters Captain might send a signal...even Hayes.  But the troubles are a lot deeper than G's variety of leadership.  

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

From a symbolic standpoint, making one of the youngsters Captain might send a signal...even Hayes.  But the troubles are a lot deeper than G's variety of leadership.  

70 something games from becoming the Flyer player to wear the C the longest?

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

70 something games from becoming the Flyer player to wear the C the longest?

With the absolute least to show for it in terms of team success? Certainly for any captain that lasted more than a season?

His tenure as captain has been flat out the most disappointing of any in the team's history in terms of team success.

I know he's got more points than (almost) anyone over whatever stretch of time makes that true. And he's not "the problem". And and and and and and...

Seven years without a playoff round win. Seven years. That has literally never happened to this organization. Never. Not once. Ever.

And the best finish they've had is 3rd in the division: 4th, 3rd ("lost to the Cup champions!"), 6th, 5th, 6th, 3rd, 6th.

Could it be the organization needs the ol' "change of scenery"?

I'm NOT AT ALL saying "blow it up rightnow" but if this trend continues into this season, I fail to see what is to be gained by repeating the same behavior and expecting different results.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

31 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Strip  ...G of the ...C..

I... think.... this.... is stupid

thanks for keeping it going though.

Until someone steps up in a way that necessitates the change it's just stupid.

Who is going to be 'that" guy ?

Maybe Provorov or Couturier ? but after that.....crickets. 

So again thanks for keeping this stupid idea front and center

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I... think.... this.... is stupid

thanks for keeping it going though.

Until someone steps up in a way that necessitates the change it's just stupid.

Who is going to be 'that" guy ?

Maybe Provorov or Couturier ? but after that.....crickets. 

So again thanks for keeping this stupid idea front and center

Yeah, can't strip him of the C and have him remain on the team.  Not after 7 years.

No real obvious successor and not doing that to Coots or someone even younger and have a disgruntled former captain still in the room.  Giroux has to remain captain while he's here.  I move other people out first, but  I'm actually convinced he's a problem.

• Like 3