Game 5: Flyers at Oilers; 10/16/19 @ 9:30 ET

Howie58

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I miss Dave Brown

As do I!

Remember when Flyers vs Oilers was something to look forward to, when It was the matchup that everyone wanted to see?

Edited by Poulin20

The score flattered the Oilers, because the Flyers outplayed them, but... But, McDavid, who was mostly quiet for the first half of the game, woke up and did his thing and walked out with a 5 point night. Tough one for Philly.

Hey at least they didn't get shutout. It's about the only positive comment i have. I stopped watching when it was 4-1.

fuck_that.gif

I just knew Hart didn't look on his game for whatever reason and figured i would watch something else glad i did.

Hey it's what i expected with a quarter of the lineup AHL guys a quarter of it deadweight...2-2-1 5 points. Right where they left off last year.

7th in the conference AV still has his work cut out for him. Now they get to sleep in their beds for a week.

I still think this blueline could use a different defenseman on it. I would sit Hagg or even Ghost for Myers or Morin.

They need some added toughness around their crease they are just way to soft/passive in their own end.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

the Flyers outplayed them

If I had a dime for every time the Flyers "outplayed" a team that they lost badly to over the past seven years...

They win trades. They "outplay" teams. They "deserve better".

And they lose.

• Like 1

JvR has been unbelievably snakebit.

15.9 Shots/60 (2nd in NHL)

15.9 SCF/60 (2nd in NHL)

12.45 HDCF/60 (1st in NHL)

2.44 ExGF/60 (1st in NHL)

4.84 Rebound created/60 (1st in NHL)

This is a guy whos been top 15 scorer in

@NHL over last 5 yrs.

Goals will come. #Flyers

I watched until they chased Hart. No sense losing any more sleep to watch the rest.

A few positives...

- Ghost actually looked like old Ghost and made a few picks and offensive plays that he would have done in years past to change the tone of the game. They didn't work out, but the fact that he tried is something I haven't seen from him in at least a season.

- The PP scored a few times again last night, and more importantly, it got Jake going. 3 point night and he was quite noticeable. 

- It was, for the most part, a good response to the Calgary game the night before. The Flyers dominated for long stretches, and severely outshot the Oilers. After each of the first three Oilers goals, I thought the Flyers responded with strong shifts and stretches. 

Outside of that, the big difference tonight was top end talent and goaltending. They buried their few chances when they got them, and they had smart puck movement in the offensive zone that forced lateral movement and confusion. The Flyers just didn't bury their chances, and really looked like a peewee perimeter grinding team when compared to the offensively gifted Oilers players in transition.

Hart was also not sharp and didn't give his team the timely saves it needed. All the goals were well placed shots from talented players, but they were all stoppable (except maybe McDavid). It was just a weak effort from Hart overall. I've noticed thru preseason (Lausanne) and the four regular season games that Hart's weakness seems to be shots from 10-15 feet out. Those are the ones that beat him, and they usually beat him clean with minimal or no screen. A lot like Carey Price early on, actually. Anyway, that's a part of his game he'll need to work on over time.

The 2-2-1 record is fine considering the circumstances. Still, when watching the game last night, I couldn't help feeling that the Flyers are still just muckers and grinders and that top end "modern" NHL talent eludes us.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I really was kidding.

I was hoping so but I figured you're corsi guy so you had some crazy stats saying he was a great defender or something...and let's be clear I didn't hate Gudas as a 3rd pair guy and I wish him luck except when he plays the Flyers.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

If I had a dime for every time the Flyers "outplayed" a team that they lost badly to over the past seven years...

They win trades. They "outplay" teams. They "deserve better".

And they lose.

But they are good in the room

• Like 1

Here's where we stand after 5 games...

23rd overall in points (16th in p%)
20th in GF/GP
21st in GA/GP
6th on the PP
20th on the PK

2-2-1.

Those certainly aren't playoff-team stats. It's still early, and it was a brutal schedule for these first five games. 

A few troubling trends are still kicking around - namely, starting slow and giving up an early goal. 

Let's see where they are after 10. 

During the preseason, I bet many of you would have welcomed a 2-2-1 start with this awful schedule.   In fact, there were even parts of games where they actually looked like a better team then the last few years.   A whole new coaching staff, new system, 5 players on the team that weren't last year.    To me, a sub-500 start was inevitable but thanks to the loser point, they are better than what I expected.

The next 7 games (3 home, 4 away) are Dallas, Vegas, CHI, CBJ, NYI, PIT, NJD.   I want to see what they do in this stretch before hitting the likes of the Leafs, Canes, Bruins in November.  Lets see if they can string some wins together and start to get some constancy. 

PS.  Hart minus the flashy save or two is looking rather average so far.  Maybe the jet-lag is getting to him too...

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Hart minus the flashy save or two is looking rather average so far. 

Like it or not, our season depends on large part for Hart to play "above" his age level. Or Elliott providing some above average play for a stretch if Hart struggles. 

This is a little bit like the Provorov situation - he is a projected #1 at his position, but 'projection' doesn't help right now.

He's at 2.46/.904 after 4 games. We'll know more after 20 games about where Hart's game is at. 

FWIW, Price's rookie year (20 years old) he played 41 games, 2.56/.920, then dipped for a few years (.905, .912). He he a great year at 23 years old (.923), and then a few more down years before hitting his peak years at 26/27 years old.

Kid's got all the physical and mental tools. He just needs experience to reach the next levels, whenever that might be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brelic said:

I watched until they chased Hart. No sense losing any more sleep to watch the rest.

A few positives...

- Ghost actually looked like old Ghost and made a few picks and offensive plays that he would have done in years past to change the tone of the game. They didn't work out, but the fact that he tried is something I haven't seen from him in at least a season.

- The PP scored a few times again last night, and more importantly, it got Jake going. 3 point night and he was quite noticeable. 

- It was, for the most part, a good response to the Calgary game the night before. The Flyers dominated for long stretches, and severely outshot the Oilers. After each of the first three Oilers goals, I thought the Flyers responded with strong shifts and stretches. 

Outside of that, the big difference tonight was top end talent and goaltending. They buried their few chances when they got them, and they had smart puck movement in the offensive zone that forced lateral movement and confusion. The Flyers just didn't bury their chances, and really looked like a peewee perimeter grinding team when compared to the offensively gifted Oilers players in transition.

Hart was also not sharp and didn't give his team the timely saves it needed. All the goals were well placed shots from talented players, but they were all stoppable (except maybe McDavid). It was just a weak effort from Hart overall. I've noticed thru preseason (Lausanne) and the four regular season games that Hart's weakness seems to be shots from 10-15 feet out. Those are the ones that beat him, and they usually beat him clean with minimal or no screen. A lot like Carey Price early on, actually. Anyway, that's a part of his game he'll need to work on over time.

The 2-2-1 record is fine considering the circumstances. Still, when watching the game last night, I couldn't help feeling that the Flyers are still just muckers and grinders and that top end "modern" NHL talent eludes us.

Greetings:

This is a great post. I think the last paragraph is critical.  You could argue the Oilers have had their "Process."  Persistent losing has led to drafting of "generational" talent.  We may have snagged a few good people over the past few years.  But they aren't game changers, with the possible exception of Hart or TBD.  It's sad but true. Shoot...our "miracle draft ball" may have chronic health issues. 

19 minutes ago, brelic said:

Like it or not, our season depends on large part for Hart to play "above" his age level. Or Elliott providing some above average play for a stretch if Hart struggles. 

This is a little bit like the Provorov situation - he is a projected #1 at his position, but 'projection' doesn't help right now.

He's at 2.46/.904 after 4 games. We'll know more after 20 games about where Hart's game is at. 

FWIW, Price's rookie year (20 years old) he played 41 games, 2.56/.920, then dipped for a few years (.905, .912). He he a great year at 23 years old (.923), and then a few more down years before hitting his peak years at 26/27 years old.

Kid's got all the physical and mental tools. He just needs experience to reach the next levels, whenever that might be.

This is really it: development doesn't necessarily occur in a straight line. The problem is when people assume that a trajectory will continue to just go up and up and up, and Philly's poor goaltending depth forced him into this position before (and I could be alone in this) think he was ready for it. The struggles are going to happen with a lot more eyeballs and pressure on him than there would have been in the American League.

Nothing to do now but ride out the ups and downs.

• Like 3