Game 5: Flyers at Oilers; 10/16/19 @ 9:30 ET

Howie58

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not sure he's a problem but he sure doesn't seem like part of the solution...

That's probably a much better way of putting it.   His being C might justifiably be part of the problem.  Again, it's really hard to argue against the production and skill.  I'm not running him out of town or anything, and it's still really early in this season.  But if the season progresses and it looks a hell of a lot like previous seasons, it's something that needs to be considered.

Honestly, between statements toward the end of last year and his play this year, it's actually Voracek that seems like he really no longer wants to be here.   If we're offered a good return, move him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, can't strip him of the C and have him remain on the team.  Not after 7 years.

No real obvious successor and not doing that to Coots or someone even younger and have a disgruntled former captain still in the room.  Giroux has to remain captain while he's here.  I move other people out first, but  I'm actually convinced he's a problem.

Well he just had a child so let's do him a solid and trade him home to Ottawa...

...I'll take Brady Tkachuk in the return.

And if you want to get creative I'll even send him his good friend with him in a package...

Edited by OccamsRazor
Clarify
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

it's actually Voracek that seems like he really no longer wants to be here.   If we're offered a good return, move him.

Fltecher: "Hi, yeah - I've got a disinterested winger who has been pretty disappointing and a bit of a malcontent who doesn't want to be here any more and is signed for four more seasons at $8.25M per - I'm looking for a good return on this. Whaddya got?"

👺

• Like 3

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Fltecher: "Hi, yeah - I've got a disinterested winger who has been pretty disappointing and a bit of a malcontent who doesn't want to be here any more and is signed for four more seasons at $8.25M per - I'm looking for a good return on this. Whaddya got?"

👺

LOL...maybe we send Giroux out as well.  He can be marketed as a new father and "Ginger," which seems to be hot.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I think it would be tough to strip Giroux of the C at this point. Not only would he still be on the team, which seems like a bad recipe, but really who else would become captain? What does he lack in a captain? Does anyone else have whatever that is?

In terms of skill, he's clearly the top of the heap right now and has been pretty much the whole time he's worn the jersey. No other player on this team right now is likely to suddenly become better than him at playing hockey. I can understand that skill doesn't equate to leadership, but it's usually a pretty substantial component. It's also the one that easiest to measure.

Second to him in terms of skill to me has to be Couturier right now. I can see Provo becoming more integral in the long run, but he's not there yet. Does Couts have something Giroux lacks that would make him a better captain? I don't know. What would that even be?

I mean, I do get the idea of shaking things up -- although I'll add again that much of this seems premature after three games -- but it's not as easy as stripping someone of a title. Stripping Giroux of the C without a proper replacement seems like a pointless endeavour to me.

And for those who somehow think this would be about "sending a message", I feel the need to point out that punishments are a pretty awful tool in a situation like this. These are grown a** adults who play professionally at an absurdly high level. They are not five year old children acting up and not listening in a classroom.

I think it's safe to assume Giroux is trying the absolute best he can. Punishment is generally a poor tool even for children -- as opposed to reinforcement anyway -- the difference is even more pronounced at such a high level of competency. It's entirely possible he is lacking something, just as it's possible he's not really the problem. Try making a cake with only flour and see how it works out.

The "core" is more than just the guy who is easily one of the most talented players to ever suit up for this team. There are others I would suggest dealing with before going the route of stripping letters and moving the only truly elite player we've had in a decade.

Edited by elmatus
  • Good Post 3

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Also, at this point, other than to shop him is there any reason to have Ghost in the lineup over Morin or Myers?   Ghost has become a liability at this point, and I don't think it's going to improve.

Ghost has been unable to get off any point shots with any regularity for 2 years now. Is it him or have teams figured him out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Depends on who you listen to...

Get your sports news from FoxNews, do ya?

(no, his name did float around some when they were trying to figure out their cap situation.  I'm not sure how official that was or fan talk, but I do remember it).

• Uggh... 1