Game 6: Stars at Flyers; 10/19/19 @ 7

Howie58

I didn't want to make big picture assessments of the team until Black Friday given coaching and roster changes. But early performance is disturbing. Agreed with others that some kind of roster shakeup may be in the cards. Agreed with RJ that Jake is probably here for the duration given salary.

Can we please get people like Stewie and Buttlick off the damn ice and bring up Farabee and some others with some actual skill?   I know it's a process and I don't suspect Farabee will fill the net in buckets, but he has the ability and is no more or less expensive than Stewart.  Or Pitnick. Or any other toll booth operator their shoving skates on and handing 3/4 million dollars to like they're Oprah Winfrey handing out car keys.

I have news for Fletcher and the "we'll see" people:   HE DID NOT GET IT DONE IN MINNESOTA.  He put together fraud teams.  Period.  Minnesota has never been a contender.  He'll, they've never been a remotely interesting team to watch.   Sure, give him a shot, but when he keeps bringing Minnesota flush water in here like they were a damn thing to behold there, it's utterly pathetic.

"Oooh, we need toughness!  I like the Stewart signing."    Oh shove it.  No we don't.   The 70s called, they want their fan back.

We need to score a damn goal. Neither Stewart nor Pitlick could score if you locked them in the room with a hooker and chloroform.  

Not that everyone on the team needs to be a scorer, but someone does.

I want to say we're only 5 games in and this will likely take some time.  There's merit to that.   You don't go from flatline to running immediately.  The concern, though, is complete inability team-wide to accomplish the goals of the game:

1) Score

2) Prevent the opponent from scoring

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

"Oooh, we need toughness!  I like the Stewart signing."    Oh shove it.  No we don't. 

What they need is REAL checking and quit all this goddamn weakass stick checking sh it... see Oskar's weak ass stick check on the Perry goal if you don't know what i mean. Get back to Flyer hockey and that doesn't mean fighting.

It means being physical and finishing checks taking the body and fighting for pucks.

Please see the Blues vs Bruins Stanley Cup series.

The Blues were banging bodies and out physical played the Bruins and that is saying something because the Bruins ain't slouches...yes you can be physical and have speed to.

They don't have to go back to the goon days but you can be hard to play against. And right now they are a bunch of pu$$ies!!!!

• Like 3

I have a couple of quick comments here, and I'll be brief. On the coach, he has been better than some have been giving him credit for, but he is partially responsible from where I sit, in overpaying for Kevin Hayes, a glorified second line center at best. Even though they have been OK on the power play, they are still a miserably bad pk team. On the GM, overpaying for a decent player at best in Hayes to attract a head coach is not what should have been done. He needs to start unloading the overpaid bums on the team, not adding more. On Holmgren and Scott, you have not a clue on how to run an NHL franchise. One of you played pro hockey, and that matters not, evidently.

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I want to say we're only 5 games in and this will likely take some time.  There's merit to that.   You don't go from flatline to running immediately.  The concern, though, is complete inability team-wide to accomplish the goals of the game:

1) Score

2) Prevent the opponent from scoring

This tells the whole story ...... you score you win ...period ....block the other team...you win ...the Flyers are doing neither ...

Team Games GF GA DIFF Goals / game Goals against / game Difference
Colorado Avalanche
8 35 21 14 4.4 2.6 1.8
Nashville Predators
8 32 31 1 4.0 3.9 0.1
Toronto Maple Leafs
9 35 31 4 3.9 3.4 0.4
Montreal Canadiens
8 31 26 5 3.9 3.3 0.6
Edmonton Oilers
8 31 20 11 3.9 2.5 1.4
Buffalo Sabres
9 34 21 13 3.8 2.3 1.4
Tampa Bay Lightning
8 29 27 2 3.6 3.4 0.3
Pittsburgh Penguins
9 32 23 9 3.6 2.6 1.0
Vegas Golden Knights
9 32 21 11 3.6 2.3 1.2
Washington Capitals
9 31 28 3 3.4 3.1 0.3
Carolina Hurricanes
9 30 25 5 3.3 2.8 0.6
Florida Panthers
8 26 31 -5 3.3 3.9 -0.6
Vancouver Canucks
7 22 15 7 3.1 2.1 1.0
Winnipeg Jets
9 27 33 -6 3.0 3.7 -0.7
St. Louis Blues
8 24 29 -5 3.0 3.6 -0.6
Los Angeles Kings
8 24 32 -8 3.0 4.0 -1.0
Arizona Coyotes
7 21 13 8 3.0 1.9 1.1
Chicago Blackhawks
5 15 15 0 3.0 3.0 0.0
New York Rangers
5 15 19 -4 3.0 3.8 -0.8
Boston Bruins
8 22 18 4 2.8 2.3 0.5
Anaheim Ducks
8 22 14 8 2.8 1.8 1.0
Calgary Flames
9 24 26 -2 2.7 2.9 -0.2
New York Islanders
8 21 20 1 2.6 2.5 0.1
San Jose Sharks
8 21 28 -7 2.6 3.5 -0.9
Philadelphia Flyers
6 15 19 -4 2.5 3.2 -0.7
Detroit Red Wings
8 19 28 -9 2.4 3.5 -1.1
New Jersey Devils
8 19 31 -12 2.4 3.9 -1.5
Ottawa Senators
7 16 27 -11 2.3 3.9 -1.6
Columbus Blue Jackets
8 18 26 -8 2.3 3.3 -1.0
Dallas StarsDallas Stars
10 21 31 -10 2.1 3.1 -1.0
Minnesota Wild
7 14 29 -15 2.0 4.1 -2.1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Has anyone read this steaming pile of Amish road apples?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/jakub-voracek-alain-vigneault-balance-doesnt-have-be-so-complicated

No, Jakey, it seems like you don't understand.  Simply crap.

Thanks for the migraine, Jordan Hall.

Yeah a bunch of hogwash...ship that clown out been saying it for years now take the best deal you can get for that guy.

I mean i know you and i have said this for a while now....and we joke about it a lot but really his value will never be higher.

We all know we have seen the best of Jake and this point and his arrow is pointing down...even rats know when to abandon ship...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Has anyone read this steaming pile of Amish road apples?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/jakub-voracek-alain-vigneault-balance-doesnt-have-be-so-complicated

No, Jakey, it seems like you don't understand.  Simply crap.

Thanks for the migraine, Jordan Hall.

I call BS on Jake ....

If I play good defense, nobody is going to see that because I don’t produce offensively. If I produce offensively and I still make a couple of mistakes, they’re going to say I’m sh---y defensively. It’s a no-win situation. 

He is (-5)  for the season...... he defensively sucks!!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What they need is REAL checking and quit all this goddamn weakass stick checking sh it... see Oskar's weak ass stick check on the Perry goal if you don't know what i mean. Get back to Flyer hockey and that doesn't mean fighting.

It means being physical and finishing checks taking the body and fighting for pucks.

Please see the Blues vs Bruins Stanley Cup series.

The Blues were banging bodies and out physical played the Bruins and that is saying something because the Bruins ain't slouches...yes you can be physical and have speed to.

They don't have to go back to the goon days but you can be hard to play against. And right now they are a bunch of pu$$ies!!!!

This team has consistently been behind the times when it comes to how to construct a team. They were building a power team in the 1990s when they needed a team that could skate on all 4 lines. Now, they've finally figured out that they need a franchise goalie, yet continue to be small and soft, when the teams that succeed now have the capability of being fast, but are hard on the puck most of all. The Flyers are soft as tissue paper on the puck.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

So I'll confess I missed the game, but it looks from the stats that they dominated and deserved better? Again? Amirite?

And the weak link was the surefire franchise goalie letting in back breakers?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

So I'll confess I missed the game, but it looks from the stats that they dominated and deserved better? Again? Amirite?

And the weak link was the surefire franchise goalie letting in back breakers?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

It's the classic sophomore slump, but don't let an offense that gets 50 shots in a game, and only 2 or 3 goals, off the hook. I won't.

Edited by FD19372

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

It's the classic sophomore slump, but don't let an offense that gets 50 shots in a game, and only 2 or 3 goals, off the hook. I won't.

I get the sophomore slump concept. 12 saves on 15 shots simply isn't acceptable to me. Against a Dallas team that had all of one win coming in.

Let's not forget travel. And flu. And Coots scored. And Giroux had a point. And Bishop stood on his head. And and and and...

I like Hart and he has potential but if we're writing him off as a sophomore slump for the season, that's staring at eight seasons of futility...

And I don't think that saying they apparently "dominated" again without actually winning a game let's anyone off the hook.

But the future is bright.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

But the future is bright

So bright, 😎I'll bring these (until Flyer management trades them away again for washed up 35 year olds).

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

Easy for a goalie with no "book" on him to come in and look strong. Andrew Hammond comes to mind top of head...

Teams have identified weaknesses and it's now on the goalie and coach to adapt to them.

But the addition of two vets to shore up the blue line and defensively responsible Hayes at 2C was supposed to mitigate that.

If you give up 15 shots in a game you're not supposed to see 3 goals against, sophomore slump or no sophomore slump...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Easy for a goalie with no "book" on him to come in and look strong. Andrew Hammond comes to mind top of head...

Teams have identified weaknesses and it's now on the goalie and coach to adapt to them.

But the addition of two vets to shore up the blue line and defensively responsible Hayes at 2C was supposed to mitigate that.

If you give up 15 shots in a game you're not supposed to see 3 goals against, sophomore slump or no sophomore slump...

EXACTLY!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

sophomore slump or no sophomore slump...

Unless your sophomore year is two years before you arguably should have been allowed to be a rookie.   I bet we're looking at the John Gibson route.

By the way, I'm not giving up on him or anything--not even for this season--but his sophomore year is well before it should have been.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Puff Puff Pass..

Calm down dudes..

Another slow start, and you want us to calm down. This is what has killed this team's playoff chances every time they have struggled or failed to make them in recent history. Playing "catch-up" (again) isn't the way to go about the season.

• Like 3