Game 8: Flyers at Blackhawks: 10/24 @ 8:30

Howie58

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

I used to ride my mountain bike up and down some pretty crazy stuff 20 years ago.

Might take me a ride or to not to fall on my teeth if I tried it tonight.

All i"m saying.

If youre interested, i suggest an escalator and wheelchair. Its like riding a bike, but different

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Seabrook looked dazed and confused. The Hawks turned over the puck a heckuva lot. But a win is a win. Our youngins are growing up under AV.

Flyers were out shot and won by 3 goals.

Strange how that works...quality matters.

Almost his first...

The leading goal scorer is a 5th round pick...

And finally we get some guys going...

Is this JVR forchecking creating a turnover...WTF!!!!!????!!!!!!!

Good solid team win. Now maybe guys won't be griping their sticks so much now and just play the game.

And who is this guy??

2-1-0 933% and a 2.09 gaa. Very nice surprise. Hart looks like you have some competition.

Edited by OccamsRazor

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers were out shot and won by 3 goals.

Strange how that works...quality matters.

Strange to hold a team to one shot in a period and still be outshot in the game. Weird.

I like weird, especially when they win.

Vigneault and staff are clearly having an effect. The four years of trying to develop an NHL head coach looks more and more disappointing every day.

Still*, this was Chicago, a team that hasn't played in five time zones to start the season and has been at home since Prague and they're 2-4-2. Flyers have a pretty nice schedule coming up (they don't play outside the time zone until December 5!), and if they beat the teams the "should beat" they can put themselves into the conversation.

Curious to see how they do against Tronno, Carolina, Washington, and a kinda beat up Pens squad.

* aka "but" 😎

• Like 1

I'll start by saying that I only watched the first two periods, but I thought they played very well last night. The Couts/Lindblom/TK line is pure dynamite every time they hit the ice. At this point, I think it's safe to consider them the defacto top line on the team. That's clearly true in terms of production; it's also true just based on performance on the ice. All three of those guys have been the best forwards on the team by a mile since the very first puck drop.

I like that Giroux and JVR got some points in this one. I'm honestly not at all worried about Giroux. We all know what he's capable of, and guys like that don't just fall off the earth from one season to the next. It's only a matter of time before he returns to form imo. But I'm happy he got on the board.

I'm also totally fine with AV's approach to the core vets, putting them all together and basically telling them to figure it out. First off, the "second" line should be largely untouchable with the way they're playing, so this trio only makes sense anyway. Also, it means they really have no one to blame but themselves. All three have been very productive NHL players in their careers. Let them figure it out. Until they do, we get to watch the Couts/TK/Lindblom line take over games as they have been.

And on the back end, I'm really digging the Provo and Niskanen combo. Provo has been an absolute monster since the start of this season, turning on the heat in a way I don't remember having ever seen before. I do think Niskanen is a part of that. I also think the coaching and system that AV is asking for just frankly suits a guy like Provo's skill set way better than whatever Hakstol was trying to put together. For me, the dcorps is where coaching and systems tends to have a huge effect. Up front, so much is just about raw skill and performance; the back end has a lot more to do with structure, communication, and teamwork, all of which are things that come first and foremost from coaching. 

Whatever it is, if Provo can keep this up the whole way through, he's going to have a beast of a season.

Elliott also, I mean, I hate the fact he had to bail out the team so much in the first, but he did it. Honestly Elliott has never ever played as well as he has in these last two games. Can he keep it up? Well, probably not, but hey, I'll take it for as long as we can get it. As far as Hart goes, I really don't buy the idea he needs to be playing a ton. I'm absolutely fine with him splitting games down the middle with Elliott, especially while Moose is hot like he has been these last couple. He is still so young and is being asked to play a very high pressure position on the team. Give him the space and time he needs to figure it out.

Anyway, it's obviously easier to talk positive after a win, and this post is no different, but I do think last night's game was worthy of note if nothing else. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, radoran said:

Vigneault and staff are clearly having an effect. The four years of trying to develop an NHL head coach looks more and more disappointing every day.

Yeah so glad the guy who would insert Lehterable into a LW slot and push Lindblom done the lineup up is gone.

Kid is starting to blossom before our eyes.

I forget what that was like.

52 minutes ago, radoran said:

Curious to see how they do against Tronno, Carolina, Washington, and a kinda beat up Pens squad.

Yes this will let us know.

And sadly how times have changed but I have to throw both Florida teams in there too.

When the level of competition goes up can they run with the big dogs?

But I digress it is good to be able to beat the teams you're supposed to beat.

That so far gives me a since of improvement.

However it all must be maintained.

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Honestly Elliott has never ever played as well as a Flyer as he has in these last two games. Can he keep it up? Well, probably not, but hey, I'll take it for as long as we can get it.

FIFY. Elliott had several strong stretches for the Blues that likely surpass this. Of course, we're again being told that the organization put a player who was injured and thus physically unable to perform to his capabilities on the ice for the past couple of years and that we should cut the player some slack for that. Which I'm fine with. I'm just not cutting the organization the same slack...

The test for Elliott will be doing this long term. Lots of speculation about how this will affect Hart, but in the end it might be good to have a 50/32 Elliott/Hart split for his "sophomore slump" season.

I also think Vigneault is the kind of coach who will go with the "hot hand" but won't ride a goalie into the dirt like Hackstol did...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

The test for Elliott will be doing this long term. Lots of speculation about how this will affect Hart, but in the end it might be good to have a 50/32 Elliott/Hart split for his "sophomore slump" season.

I really think that's why Elliott is still here.  I don't think that it will be as much as 50/32, because I could see Elliott breaking down with that workload.     Even a 41/41 or something.  And I do think it's a good way to spell a kid who will have hills and valleys.  It will help him in the long run, and if Elliott stays healthy and keeps playing well, it's also good for the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I could see Elliott breaking down with that workload.     

Yeah, I could see that, too. I was just going 60/40, but even 50/50 would be good. Hart is still finding his legs in this league, after all. And the Sophomore Slump is "a thing" for young goalies (see: Price, Holtby, Rinne...)

I gotta believe Hackstol would have Masoned him. I don't see AV doing that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'll start by saying that I only watched the first two periods, but I thought they played very well last night. The Couts/Lindblom/TK line is pure dynamite every time they hit the ice. At this point, I think it's safe to consider them the defacto top line on the team. That's clearly true in terms of production; it's also true just based on performance on the ice. All three of those guys have been the best forwards on the team by a mile since the very first puck drop.

I like that Giroux and JVR got some points in this one. I'm honestly not at all worried about Giroux. We all know what he's capable of, and guys like that don't just fall off the earth from one season to the next. It's only a matter of time before he returns to form imo. But I'm happy he got on the board.

I'm also totally fine with AV's approach to the core vets, putting them all together and basically telling them to figure it out. First off, the "second" line should be largely untouchable with the way they're playing, so this trio only makes sense anyway. Also, it means they really have no one to blame but themselves. All three have been very productive NHL players in their careers. Let them figure it out. Until they do, we get to watch the Couts/TK/Lindblom line take over games as they have been.

And on the back end, I'm really digging the Provo and Niskanen combo. Provo has been an absolute monster since the start of this season, turning on the heat in a way I don't remember having ever seen before. I do think Niskanen is a part of that. I also think the coaching and system that AV is asking for just frankly suits a guy like Provo's skill set way better than whatever Hakstol was trying to put together. For me, the dcorps is where coaching and systems tends to have a huge effect. Up front, so much is just about raw skill and performance; the back end has a lot more to do with structure, communication, and teamwork, all of which are things that come first and foremost from coaching. 

Whatever it is, if Provo can keep this up the whole way through, he's going to have a beast of a season.

Elliott also, I mean, I hate the fact he had to bail out the team so much in the first, but he did it. Honestly Elliott has never ever played as well as he has in these last two games. Can he keep it up? Well, probably not, but hey, I'll take it for as long as we can get it. As far as Hart goes, I really don't buy the idea he needs to be playing a ton. I'm absolutely fine with him splitting games down the middle with Elliott, especially while Moose is hot like he has been these last couple. He is still so young and is being asked to play a very high pressure position on the team. Give him the space and time he needs to figure it out.

Anyway, it's obviously easier to talk positive after a win, and this post is no different, but I do think last night's game was worthy of note if nothing else. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

What? The coach is doing a good job?

And wait, Niskaknen was a good addition thats helping Provy be a monster?

Thats all just crazy talk. It cant be possible. Can it?

BTW....my intended snark is not meant for you. You just happened to lob a softball I couldnt resist 🍺

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

What? The coach is doing a good job?

And wait, Niskaknen was a good addition thats helping Provy be a monster?

Thats all just crazy talk. It cant be possible. Can it?

BTW....my intended snark is not meant for you. You just happened to lob a softball I couldnt resist 🍺

Your snark and your avatar make me laugh every time.   In a good way.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, radoran said:

FIFY. Elliott had several strong stretches for the Blues that likely surpass this.

He did, but he was splitting time for much of those seasons with Halak, and those Blues teams played virtually all defense all the time. Sure, he was a part of it, but context I think is important in that case.

It's telling he has never come close to reproducing those numbers anywhere else in his career.

Don't get me wrong, I actually don't hate Elliott as much as others around here, but he's always been a back up at best imo. The fact he was thrust into a primary role is not ideal.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

He did, but he was splitting time for much of those seasons with Halak, and those Blues teams played virtually all defense all the time. Sure, he was a part of it, but context I think is important in that case.

It's telling he has never come close to reproducing those numbers anywhere else in his career.

Don't get me wrong, I actually don't hate Elliott as much as others around here, but he's always been a back up at best imo. The fact he was thrust into a primary role is not ideal.

I don't really like Elliott at all. Hated when Hextall signed him,

And yes STL was a defnesively minded team. I don't expect him to be a long term solution.

He's not a bad option if a team is going to hold the opponent to one shot in a period, for example.

And as a stopgap to give Hart time to develop,  I'm OK with it.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2