Game 11: Flyers at Pens; 10/29/19 @ 7:00

Howie58

You can also counter team speed by having a tenacious forecheck, and poundungbthe other team. The speed we saw tonight was also emphasized by having lazy players putting in little effort

I totally agree with the comments about past flyer teams.  I also agree that todays NHL is boring and lacks passion

For those with all the criticism of us wanting a tougher team, remember the flyers had two streaks of 17 years in the PO. What they are putting in the ice now, with this powder puff ice capades hockey, we will be 17 years beforw they make it again

Id much rather have thise teams. At least i got to watch exciting games

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I also agree that todays NHL is boring and lacks passion

Watch something other than a Flyers game...

The Flyers are boring and lack passion. For going on eight years now...

🤔

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

If my season ticket rep called me today and asked me to renew my answer would be :HahaNO:

I don't even answer the phone. And they call several times a week. I had a partial plan three years ago.

54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow even Bill stopped tweeting about the game.

He must be watching Netflix too.

So tired of hearing how it's always sunny in Philadelphia from him.

He's really lost it since getting that paycheck...

• Like 2

Good night to cut my cable subscription!    

I am an AV fan and I hope he murders them on the ice in practice.  The excuses are just that... BS excuses.  Right now it comes down to the players. 

Results and nothing else at this point IMO.   This team is a fragile bunch...  I hate to say it but shake up the core if that is what it takes.   There is something just not right w this crew of players.  Tonight was a disgrace. 

No more excuses...  I know it is one game and early in the season but the same thing happens over and over regardless of coaching staff and/or GM. 

For ****s sake... 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, CoachX said:

You can also counter team speed by having a tenacious forecheck, and poundungbthe other team. The speed we saw tonight was also emphasized by having lazy players putting in little effort

I totally agree with the comments about past flyer teams.  I also agree that todays NHL is boring and lacks passion

For those with all the criticism of us wanting a tougher team, remember the flyers had two streaks of 17 years in the PO. What they are putting in the ice now, with this powder puff ice capades hockey, we will be 17 years beforw they make it again

Id much rather have thise teams. At least i got to watch exciting games

Team speed, as far as I'm concerned, is countered by at least three things, a forecheck, a counterattack and a mobile defense. Yeah, their goaltending wasn't good, but a team on its game catches Pittsburgh on a 3 on 2 or a 2 on 1 a  bunch of times. The Flyers didn't have any of that tonight. To make matters worse, Elliott wasn't good, and he had to be.

Edited by FD19372

Zac Rinaldo burying people with devastating hits was far more exciting than what I see today. If Rinaldo could have toned down his act a few notches , he could have been an effective 4th liner. He was a very good skater, great balance, great on the forecheck and hit like a mack truck. A good hit can definitely spark a team. Konecny is the only guy we have that hits and puts in the effort every night but he is too small to play that physical style all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The Penguins entered as the NHL's worst scoring team in the first period. They had four total goals during the opening stanza through 12 games.

They had that many in the first 10 minutes tonight.

Sidney Crosby has scored a goal vs. 14 different Flyers goalies in his career:

Anthony Stolarz
Carter Hart
Brian Elliott
Petr Mrazek
Michal Neuvirth
Steve Mason
Ray Emery
Ilya Bryzgalov
Sergei Bobrovsky
Brian Boucher
Michael Leighton
Martin Biron
Robert Esche
Antero Niittymaki

• Uggh... 1

Greetings:

I came home, put on the tube (I had the Pitt feed on NHL Center Ice), and it was still 0-0.  I decided to take off work clothes and put on jeans.  When I return to the game three minutes later...we're down 3-0.  WTF.  After another 15-20 minutes I said enough.  Our D is porous, our first line is uninspired,.  Not pretty!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, radoran said:

Post-postscript - they lost in the first round of the playoffs and haven't won a playoff round since. 🤗

After the Devils on Friday they play Tronno twice, Carolina, Washington, Boston, and Montreal in the next two weeks. Then Ottawa, Islanders, Florida.

Anyone here betting on 7-1-2?

🌞

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

When I return to the game three minutes later...we're down 3-0.

That's barely enough time to pour yourself a nice Merlot, or Pinot Noir, good sir.

Priorities man. The Flyers can suck anytime, but you only get to live one life.

• Like 1

Let's be clear before i state this in no way am i singling out this guy as the sole problem for this sad bunch.

But after watching the play of Misha Vorobyev since his first game vs the Knight (the last time he recorded a point) he has slowly just faded away into just being his invisible self like last year once he was recalled in January...

...i'm pretty sure he just needs to be traded while he has value, or just left to head back to the KHL so he can continue to be a perimeter player.

He is not a NHL center...6-2 and just looks afraid of contact. Send him back trade to Arizona for something maybe and just recall Rubtsov.

So that would be one issue resolved now onto the remaining 18...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

That's barely enough time to pour yourself a nice Merlot, or Pinot Noir, good sir.

Priorities man. The Flyers can suck anytime, but you only get to live one life.

Howdy:

I had some "grape juice" with lite bite and took a walk...more important than watching a debacle.  When I came back and saw 79 in goal, I knew the bleep hit the fan.  

The Pens broadcast team noted the experience of Flyers' coaching.  Yeah...will it get this gang in shape?  Can this gang be gotten into shape?

Yeah, I'm kinda done with the Vorobyev experiment.

But at the end of the day, the defense, including goaltending, is really the issue - and has been for a long time.

Last year, Flyers were 28th in team save % - .895.

This year, Flyers are 28th in team save % - .881.

Any way you slice it, that is not good enough. Hart has been very poor, and Elliott has been mostly good though last night really affected his #s.

The defensemen in front of them look completely lost these last 3 games. It's still very early, and it's a learning process.

I said they'd be 8-10-2 after 20. Currently they're 5-5-1. I really really hope they can do better than 3-5-1 over the next 9.

WAKE THE EFF UP! BE A FU**ING FLYER!

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

But at the end of the day, the defense, including goaltending, is really the issue - and has been for a long time.

Last year, Flyers were 28th in team save % - .895.

This year, Flyers are 28th in team save % - .881.

Any way you slice it, that is not good enough. Hart has been very poor, and Elliott has been mostly good though last night really affected his #s.

The defensemen in front of them look completely lost these last 3 games. It's still very early, and it's a learning process.

I said they'd be 8-10-2 after 20. Currently they're 5-5-1. I really really hope they can do better than 3-5-1 over the next 9.

WAKE THE EFF UP! BE A FU**ING FLYER!

Theirrien and Yep as coaches what do you expect? A Stanley Cup contending team? 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Recall Rubtsov they need all the firepower they can get...also would love to get Stewart out the lineup.

After watching him stand there at the top of the crease and just watch the goalscorer just tap one in (i forget which one it was the 3rd or 4th goal) i'm done with this guy...he really is not needed...and find someone else to add to the lineup.

And well i really don't have any answers for the rest of the team i am hoping AV does...but for now removing Vorobyev and Stewy will help the bottom 6.

Try that and go from there. Elliott i'm afraid has turned back into a pumpkin perfect timing for Halloween! 

How has the defense, which was completely remade and developed to be the strength of this team, become the Achilles?

Did we all overestimate how good these guys are? If i recall, the drafting and development of these players was supposed to be the key to long term success. So why is it this awful?

My eyes tell me the lack of offense (forecheck, backcheck, scoring), has left the defense hanging. Either that or the whole management team is comprised of idiots

13 hours ago, radoran said:

Watch something other than a Flyers game...

The Flyers are boring and lack passion. For going on eight years now...

🤔

Cant! Its in my DNA.  I hate every other team, and think that the nhl only exists so the flyers have somewhere to play

It would be like rooting for some other kid at my sons soccer games

• Like 1