Trade Giroux F away

phlfly

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol I missed this in @mojo1917 's OP.

Blasphemery and Treason are in the air it seems. 

Yes, yes they are.

Down here in 'merica we are all for the coup d'etat.

@ruxpin

I'm good with the part of his life where he was placing bets for Gretzky in the desert - cause what else is he going to do ?

So you're okay with the fact he went and played in Pittsburgh ? then coached for them ? I mean he could have gone to the Rangers or Devils I suppose...maybe you don't hate the Pens with the proper amount of vitriol...I don't know, the guy was dead to me when he went to Pgh. 

I'm just saying...I don't think I'm the one with the issues.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but this should be a trade Jake Voracek thread not Giroux.

Jake is a 8 million boat anchor.

He's on pace for a 23g, 65 point season with a Corsi for of 56.4%.  ...and I for one assume that will actually improve between now and the end of the season.

There are 4 Flyers with a better Corsi and one Flyer with a higher point total (which means there are 19 Flyers with lower point totals and lower corsis).

Jake's essentially having a similar year to Lindblom (who is also -2) but who also has a slightly better Corsi with similar minutes per night. 

That said, there are 4 Flyers on pace for a 65 point season plus TK who is on pace for I think 84.  

3 players are on pace for 20+ goals in addition to TK and Lindblom who are on pace for 40+.

I happen to think (based on past years) that Coots, G's and Jakes point totals are likely to surpass the paces they're each currently on, but even if they just hold steady, and the season ends with 5 Flyers scoring at least 65 points and 20+goals each, are you really going to sit here and tell us the offense was the problem? 

If the Flyers aren't remotely in the playoff hunt by the deadline and Fletch can find a taker, then yes.  I agree.  Trade him, but trade him because it's complete and utter rebuild time, not because Jake's not pulling his weight.  Trade a lot of people at that point if you can.

But in the meantime, they have 5 out of 6 points since the clunkers last week and he's far from the biggest disappointment on this offense, let alone this team.  

JVR and Hayes are producing much worse in most aspects of the game than Jake is so far and they make nearly as much.  At the very least the $1million dollar difference between their salaries and Jake's doesn't nearly make up for how much less they're producing right now. To me, they and their contracts are much MUCH bigger mill stones around this team's neck.

But even WITH them under producing, this team's offense is putting up numbers and controlling the flow of a lot of games.  

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So you're okay with the fact he went and played in Pittsburgh ? then coached for them ?

Yep.  I'm okay with it.   The playing part, he didn't trade himself.   The coaching part, well, it became home.

I don't care whether he was GM at the time; I blame Clarke.

In all seriousness, though, while a Flyer the first time, he became my favorite Flyer.  Probably of all time.  A couple others are right there--none of them recent.   Probably says more about my age than about the recent Flyers.   I guess if I had to pick from the last decade it's Simmonds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

And look forward to the day when Hayes is it. 

The sad part is this is almost completely inevitable given the rather unfortunate contract, but hopefully we've got at least a few years before his play starts to head downhill. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yep.  I'm okay with it.   The playing part, he didn't trade himself.   The coaching part, well, it became home.

I don't care whether he was GM at the time; I blame Clarke.

In all seriousness, though, while a Flyer the first time, he became my favorite Flyer.  Probably of all time.  A couple others are right there--none of them recent.   Probably says more about my age than about the recent Flyers.   I guess if I had to pick from the last decade it's Simmonds.

You sir,  are my hero. Tocchet is one of my all time favorites. He was the quintessential power forward. He played his first 8 seasons with the flyers, scoring over 200 goals and over 100 pims each season. He produced offense while squaring off with the toughest guys to lace em up. Probert, wendell clarke, and anyone else. I dont remember him ever losing a battle

The guy bled orange. 

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What was he suppose to do he was traded there?

Hold out, say he was going to become a professional curler... IDGAF, he knows what he did. 

Worked for John Elway. - I'm just sayin'

Also I am not the "bad guy" for hating the Penguins. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

No you're not, i hate the Penguins too.

But i still like Rick. Can't help it.

It's is why when it was 4-0 i had to turn it i couldn't take no more of it...i had to change it so it wouldn't ruin my night and it still did but i wasn't going to watch it.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Hold out, say he was going to become a professional curler... IDGAF, he knows what he did. 

Worked for John Elway. - I'm just sayin'

So what will your opinion be if they trade Giroux and he doesnt refuse to go?

Does that drop him down on the list of Flyer greats?

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Nope, I get it.

Oddly, I dislike the Penguins.  They were a fun rivalry before we sucked.

I dislike the Rangers.

I don't really existentially hate either one.    I'm not sure where it came from, but I viscerally hate the Capitals.  Mostly because I truly hate their fans.   I actually don't like any of the teams or fans from the Balt-Wash area (yeah, I know, but fans of the teams from outside the area don't quite fit the reason I dislike those who live in the area).   The Nationals were the only National League team I would cheered against.  It wasn't my year.

So, that's my sports hate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

You sir,  are my hero. Tocchet is one of my all time favorites. He was the quintessential power forward. He played his first 8 seasons with the flyers, scoring over 200 goals and over 100 pims each season. He produced offense while squaring off with the toughest guys to lace em up. Probert, wendell clarke, and anyone else. I dont remember him ever losing a battle

The guy bled orange. 

I go back to the Cup teams as a kid.   Went to both parades.  I loved the hell out of Bob Kelly as a kid.  Yeah, I know the Clarke, Barber and Leach's and I really liked them, but it was Bob Kelly and the Watson brothers for me.

But Tocchet's heyday with the Flyers (and Poulin, Melanby, et al.) was my high school and college years.   For all the reasons you mention, he was my favorite.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

So what will your opinion be if they trade Giroux and he doesnt refuse to go?

Does that drop him down on the list of Flyer greats?

hell yes !

Look  a lot of what I'm saying about this is in jest.

However, Tocchet isn't in my top 10 maybe not even my top 15 of favorite Flyers.

I get he was a tough guy with some good hands, I remember, I was present for the whole of his Flyers career. 

I liked Berube better as a goon, I liked LeClair better as thick necked scorer... 

the Pens business is just me having some fun. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Lucky me!

LHV is on tv playing whatever the farm club is for pissburg

Lets go NAK!

LOL   The "Baby Pens" from Wilkes-Barre, PA.    It's actually not far from me and it's a nice view of the game (it's not the old Hershey Park Arena for the Bears, but it'll do), but it's been years.    I actually should go there to catch some Phantoms' games, but I just haven't.

• Like 1

watching LHV was my first opportunity to see all the guys that have been hyped up so much. I have to say, nothing stood out, except AHL players fall down alot (Sanheim joke would do well right now).

Morin appeared to tweak his knee, uh oh, and Frost was mentioned alot. But none of them (Ratcliffe, Rubstov, NAK, etc) looked dominant. Maybe it was due to the all black uniform (couldnt tell who anyone was). Or maybe my expectations are overblown. I guess i thought an NHL top 6 guy would be clearly obvious in a minor league game

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So you're okay with the fact he went and played in Pittsburgh ? then coached for them ? I mean he could have gone to the Rangers or Devils I suppose...maybe you don't hate the Pens with the proper amount of vitriol...I don't know, the guy was dead to me when he went to Pgh. 

I'm just saying...I don't think I'm the one with the issues.

I never had a problem with the Penguins until Kasparitus tried to kill Lindros.  

I even supported them when Mario, Rex, Tocchet and Borrasso won those cups.  Things changed when Mario got sick.  Even when he came back, the league seemed to really want to help them.

The debacle of the way the league cheated it's own rules to keep them in Pittsburgh and eventually get them Crosby (and 4 other top 5 picks in a row) makes everything since then illegitimate in my view. 

The way they played in the '08 and '09 playoffs and what they were not only allowed to get away with, but were seemingly encouraged to get away with was an embarrassment to the league that echoed through other teams for years to come and I think the NHL has yet to reckon with that.  It's mostly gone from the league now, but it still rears its head occasionally.  

Malkin is the sleaziest player in the NHL and Crosby will forever be the guy who sucker punched another player in the stones from behind as far as I'm concerned. Orpik may be gone, but I'd have some words for him too.  

By my own admission they played more cleanly and respectably for their recent runs, but the damage is done and the franchise will forever be shamed in my estimation.  I can only hope they'll start sucking again soon so their miserable fans (2nd most vile home crowd I've encountered) can once again abandon them and the league can finally move on and put them in a new city.  But that's not likely to happen any time soon.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I never had a problem with the Penguins

REPORTED! I don't wanna hear any qualifiers. Unwavering, unbridled (unhinged?) hate is called for, and you will heed the call goddamn it!

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

REPORTED! I don't wanna hear any qualifiers. Unwavering, unbridled (unhinged?) hate is called for, and you will heed the call goddamn it!

I am merely providing context as evidence that my hatred of them is EARNED and not remotely a partisan irrationality.   It's like hating a politician for their  policies and toxic character, not their party affiliation.   

They deserve every ounce of my ire. 

• Good Post 2