Game 15: Canadiens at Flyers; 11/7 @ &:00

Howie58

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But I agree many put Fletch on blast mainly it seems for what didn't work in Minnesota.

Well, it was all we had to judge him on. So far he hasn't been terrible. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

At the end of the day I was going to judge him for what he did here and nothing more.

I can't speak for others.

At the end of the day we have ONE more win than last year at this time. That's with THREE NHL coaches instead of one college guy...I expected that at the least just from the progression of youth...and we're back up against the cap.

Not exactly setting the world on fire with his management skills. He hasn't been terrible, I agree. But all I've seen so far is keeping us mediocre. Like the Wild. It's early, I know. But all we can judge him on is what he's previously done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

..I expected that at the least just from the progression of youth...and we're back up against the cap.

Not exactly setting the world on fire with his management skills.

It's not my money so -eh so what... and I do think Dilettante and Chief executive asshole Dave Scott more or less put the mandate out to "spend the money".  They also built a nice rooftop bar, added a mascot, and a bunch of other bs marketing and "experiential" gimmicks to the "product" off the ice, so why not upgrade the on ice product too?

Braun will come off this year, Niskanen has been better than nearly everyone expected and is worth the $ Gudas' salary retained also comes off the books...who needs signed ?

Hayes continues to play well regardless of where he is in the line-up. Turns out we actually needed Pitlick for ombudsman bottom 6 duty.

Chuck has been okay on the hockey side i think 

About the game: funny that that's the shot that beats Price, all the 8 to 10 bell chances in the 2nd period - stonewalled - then a moving screened shot off a weak rush finds a hole in his sweater....unbelievable. 

Hockey is weird. 

When Mtl tied that game up I was thinking damn this is an unjust result. It still sort of was, but hey the goalie is on the team for a reason and that dude (Price) is a goddamned jewel.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It's not my money so -eh so what... and I do think Dilettante and Chief executive asshole Dave Scott more or less put the mandate out to "spend the money".  They also built a nice rooftop bar, added a mascot, and a bunch of other bs marketing and "experiential" gimmicks to the "product" off the ice, so why not upgrade the on ice product too?

Braun will come off this year, Niskanen has been better than nearly everyone expected and is worth the $ Gudas' salary retained also comes off the books...who needs signed ?

Hayes continues to play well regardless of where he is in the line-up. Turns out we actually needed Pitlick for ombudsman bottom 6 duty.

Chuck has been okay on the hockey side i think 

It's not my money...I'm just saying we're basically sitting in the same place ...while spending way more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

At least then we'd have a shot at Lefreniere. Instead we'll get the 2nd best guy who has an uncle from Duluth.

Even if we  did, he'd either suck or get some sort of debilitating STD that would make him miss 80% of his first 5 years.

And we'd all be kvetching about whomever was drafted at #6 that no one was really talking about before the draft.

You know it's true.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

At the end of the day we have ONE more win than last year at this time.

Well, they have Gritty now.   

I'm serious with this part, though it's not necessarily an endorsement of the priorities:    they're vastly better at home.   They're 6-1-1, I think, and were something like 3-4-1 at this point last year.    It means little in reality, but it's a difference in perception/marketing.   Winning at home makes the Facebook crowd excited and makes them buy more concessions and merchandise. 

Like i said in an earlier post (or maybe just in my head), the Flyer organization has done a great job with the pregame theatrics and presentation. The arena was excellent, Gritty will eventually rule the world, and the videos and music get you fired up. The fan store is really too notch.

Then the game started , and i got bored and the electricity dissipated. Then i spent $20 on a beer and a cup of coffee, then $7 on a box of popcorn. At that point i was depressed and emotionally detached. I didnt get reenergized until the shootout happened.

With all that said.....id go again tomorrow 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Then i spent $20 on a beer and a cup of coffee, then $7 on a box of popcorn. At that point i was depressed and emotionally detached.

I think this is part and parcel of the problem with nearly any arena these days.

to take Mrs and Teen Girl Mojo to the  rink costs about $350  that's a lot of money for me. dropping $13 on a gd miller lite, which I don't even really like, does take much of the "joy" from the experience. $13 gets a six pack of a beer I like, you know ?

The price of the live experience is almost too high. 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

About the game: funny that that's the shot that beats Price, all the 8 to 10 bell chances in the 2nd period - stonewalled - then a moving screened shot off a weak rush finds a hole in his sweater....unbelievable. 

Hockey is weird. 

When Mtl tied that game up I was thinking damn this is an unjust result. It still sort of was, but hey the goalie is on the team for a reason and that dude (Price) is a goddamned jewel.

Yeah, but remember that buzzer beater that Ghost threw on net and trickled through Price's pads just missing the net?

Maybe they knew he was a bit leaky ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It's not my money...I'm just saying we're basically sitting in the same place ...while spending way more. 

Well, this is the best start through 15 games in 8 years.

It's a start.

From Meltzer:

With the win, the Flyers improved to 8-5-2 through 15 games and 6-1-1 at home. The team's 18 points is their most through 15 games since starting the 2011-12 season with 19 points (8-4-3) at the same juncture.