Staal

EmptyShelf

In spite of a rough start, and a pretty unsightly +/-, I feel that he is really pulling his weight and setting a good example.  This is NOT the case with 9, 11, and 20.  I think if we gave Staal the C (whether he wants it or not), we might see some different effort from the rest of the team (including 11 and 20).  I just don't believe that Koivu is a REAL leader, and he should have never been asked to be a multi-year C just because he was a high draft choice and two-way player and is the 'veteran' of the team.  His personality traits just don't fit:  too quiet, too sensitive, too comfortable with mediocrity, too weak and unapproachable.  Virtually ANY choice would be better than him, and with his contract ending this year, I want to see them pass the torch - and God help us, not to 11 or 20.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, Jimtown guy said:

Hell Lemaire use to rotate the captain once a month or something like that 

Alex Henry was captain once...the employee of the month beginning of this club made who wears the "C" an irrelevant thing.  A good leader not only speaks when they're supposed to but they lead by example.  The problem with the Wild is all too often they have different people pulling in their own direction rather than pulling altogether.  Lemaire used to get the team to pull in one direction...which is why those talent deficient teams were as tough as they were to play against.  

• Like 2

^This. 
For several seasons now there is a real or perceived divide in the Wild locker room. And it’s not just hater fans that think this. Russo’s hinted at it, and I found it extremely telling when Guerin publicly stated that he spoke with the players in the locker room to make sure “everyone was pulling the rope in the same direction”. That says to me it’s not just a fan conspiracy theory but that it is known in the NHL that the Wild have a messed up locker room. It also points to certain players having an agenda that is at odds with the teams agenda. And Guerin going public with his “pull the rope” statement is kind of drawing a line in the sand to the players that are causing the problems. 
Whether that message gets through is a whole ‘nother kettle of fish...

• 2 years later...
22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So he is on his way back it seems huh???

So if they do sign him wouldn't he have to pass through waivers???

He certainly believes he could still play in the NHL. Gets in condition for the Olympics, hopes he shows enough there and in the AHL to make teams interested. I'd be surprised, but I'm surprised already, so who knows.

I don't know about the need for waivers.

Bill Guerin is only doing him a favor by signing him to the PTO so he can get some games in before heading to the Olympics.  He did get a Goal and an assist in his first game with Iowa last night.

Edited by bbgarnett
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bbgarnett said:

Bill Guerin is only doing him a favor by signing him to the PTO so he can get some games in before heading to the Olympics.  He did get a Goal and an assist in his first game with Iowa last night.

That's pretty impressive, from both.

• Like 1